“High above the hustle and bustle” 4 of 5 stars

Osiris Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   49 Nubar | Bab el Louk, Cairo, Egypt   |
Ranked #22 of 134 Hotels in Cairo
London
“High above the hustle and bustle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

A quick stopover for a night in Cairo took us to the Osiris in January 2013. It's pretty much in the middle of a bustling intersection about 400 yards from Tahir Square, but being on the twelfth floor, it's a good escape from the hustle and bustle below (just be prepared for the lift with a mind of its own - we regularly stopped at Floor 3-1/2 on the way up!!)

Once you get to the top floor, you get clean rooms, decent facilities, good service, and a lovely breakfast on the twelfth floor terrace.

Just to add that we were arriving in Cairo on the overnight sleeper train from Luxor - due to arrive at 8.30am, delays meant we didn't actually pitch up until early afternoon. Despite not being able to let them know we would be late, Mr Nasir the proprietor took it all in his stride and there were no hassles whatsoever.

If you're looking for a budget hotel for a short stay, I would recommend the Osiris.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

So good to see a clean room and bathroom with no insects and mosquitoes in cairo... at last a large bathroom with a shower curtain around the stall and good hot water pressure... i liked the location ... agree with most that the night staff lacks enthusiasm but they are only two teenage kids who i think don't speak a lot of english.. just two things to keep in mind...in the room i had there were only two electrical outlets so make sure u have an outlet tree and the hotel is quite small; so if u keep very late hours or your neighbor does, you will hear it... otherwise, enjoyed getting clean towels everyday and bed made everyday.. would stay again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Cupertino, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed in Hotel Osiris with my family (total 5) on basis of recommendation from the Lonely Planet and recommendations here on TripAdvisor. We returned from Aswan and Luxor to spend an additional day here.

We found the place conveniently located, clean and attractive but not a good value for money and we had to constantly stay on top of our bill calculations (stressful).

We were quoted a rate of 70 euros/night for the family room. At the time of checkout the first time, the owner Nabil was calculating on basis of 75 euros a night. He said that the rates had changed and Sophie did not know it. I pulled out the email from Sophie and Nabil changed the rate back to 70 euros.

After travelling to Aswan (place on the Nile for 5, $28/night) and Luxor (West Bank, on the Nile for $59/night, 2 bedroom apartment), I concluded that this place was way too expensive but we had left some luggage with Nabil and thought it would be too disruptive to ourselves to switch hotels.

In prep for the second checkout, I was equipped with the exchange rates. Nabil was charging the room at 700 L.E. for the night. I told him the LE to Euro rate was 8.43, not 10. He recalculated at 8.50 and I was too tired to ask for another recalculation. We paid what we could with LE, and the rest in dollars. Again, Nabil came up with $165 for the balance but agreed when I showed him that it should be $149. He agreed. My point, the difference between $165 and $149 is not minor.

Bottom line, I felt I had to stay on top of every calculation Nabil was making and this is not pleasant for me.

Also I felt that the 340 LE charged for the airport pickup and half day of sight seeing was too much, given all the microbusses we rented the entire trip.

Today on trip advisor, I tried a mock booking and found that the same room I booked for 70 euros per night can be had for 60 dollars per night (it.s been 2 days since we checked out). So definately I overpaid a lot for my 4 nights there.

On the positive side, I did find the staff helpful and responsive but shy. Nabil was nice to talk to on many topics (other than billing) and he gave me insight into Egypt. I walked to Tahrir and Egyptian museum. The rooftop provides good views but needs a thorough cleaning. And my family made dinner out of the lentil soup they serve, on several nights.

Overall, I would recommend this place, on the condition you clearly know in advance you are getting the best price, and you stay on top of every billing calculation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bassano Del Grappa, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The only thing that this hotel lacks is staff with a little bit of enthusiasm. But aside from this, it is a great place to stay while in Cairo. The entrance may unsettle you at first, but the hotel structure is spotless clean and nicely decorated, the quiet and relaxing atmosphere contrastes well with the chaos and excitement of Cairo, as it gives guests the chance to have a bit of relief and rest. The rooftop terrace is at everybody's availability and offers a panoramic view of Cairo's surroundings, internet is available for free in the communal areas, breakfast was not included in the room price but it was cheap and nice and they have a laundry service. The hotel owner was always available in case we had any questions or we needed guidance and kindly lent us the hotel's guide books. Now I know where to definitely book next time I will be in Cairo!

Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Great location.
Easy access to sites and location to explore from.
Plenty of options close by for eating out in the evening.
Tour guide arranged through the hotel was excellent and knew his stuff.
Hotel staff full of information and help.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Josiane C, Propriétaire at Osiris Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Hello everybody

we wish to thank all of our guests who took the time to post a review
we appreciate all your comments as the the positive ones help us the keep our spirits high and the less positive ones help us improve our service
we hope to see some of you in the near future.
Ann Arbor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was my second visit to Cairo. I chose this hotel for its budget price. For that price the room is small and basic but perfectly adequate. I decided to upgrade and the room with balcony is a great choice. But whatever room you choose you have access to the common balcony for breakfast or whenever you wish. Wifi is mainly in the common areas.

As others have noted, the owner (Nabil) is friendly and helpful. I found the other staff to be cold and unwelcoming in manner (especially compared to other Egyptians I've met on both trips), but they did everything needed and responded completely to requests. Just don't be put off on arrival if Nabil isn't there and the staff "welcome" you in their own way. (An Egyptian friend of mine, who of course speaks perfect Arabic, said he found the staff person "rude" on the phone, so it wasn't just me. I did not find him rude, just cold and unfriendly, and this is a shame because it will put off some people who otherwise would find this a great place to stay.) I kind of learned on my own that there is also a large rooftop with comfortable chairs.

No choice at breakfast and they charge extra for second cups of coffee, but for the price it's fine, and the breakfast (omelet, coffee/tea, yogurt, bread, etc.) is fine.

I found the location to be very good. Nothing exciting in the immediate area but a quick walk to the Egypt Museum and Tahrir Square and a longish walk (which I enjoyed) to the medieval Islamic area. (Most would choose a taxi, I suppose, as I would if the weather weren't so pleasant.)

Everyone smokes, which could be a problem if it's crowded. But this is typical of Egypt in general.

Overall I definitely recommend this hotel in spite of my small complaints. I'd stay there again. It's a great retreat from the chaos of the Cairo streets, the rooms are clean and good, and I slept very well.

Room Tip: The room with balcony is very nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the strength of their TA reviews, but my stay fell short of expectations. Here's the breakdown:

Location: The hotel is a 10-minute walk from Tahrir square (but far away enough that you feel safe) and a few good restaurants.

Room: The room was sparse and somewhat chilly at night, but everything worked and was clean.

Service: We didn’t need a lot of service, but the owner, Nabil, was quite friendly. They had put together a helpful information packet of restaurants in the area, how much you should pay for cabs to get to certain locations, etc.

Facilities: The hotel is interestingly located on the 12th floor of a commercial building and is all on one floor. The common area is tastefully decorated. They have a rooftop lounge as well but is somewhat in a state of disrepair and while it has good views of the city skyline, the smog unfortunately prohibits any decent visibility. There is wi-fi in the common area but is very spotty (tip: Beano café is 10 minutes away and has excellent, free wi-fi).

The punchline is that it is not a bad option as a mid-price hotel, but I came away with a ‘meh’ experience – serves the checklist.