“Great 12 day visit at Hotel Havana” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Don't miss our offer
Ranked #30 of 131 hotels in Cairo
Barcelona, Spain
“Great 12 day visit at Hotel Havana”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was in Cairo during my Christmas vacation ( for 12 days) to visit friends and take a short Arabic course and I was very happy I chose Hotel Havana. First of all, I love Mohandeseen, it is better than staying in the chaotic city centre and it has everything you could possibly need, and it is close enough to everything else by Taxi. It is true, as stated in other reviews that the hotel is on a busy street so it could be noisy to a light sleeper but I did not have this problem. The internet connection does exist and Wifi is free and throughout the whole hotel but I did have some connection problems which most of the time the staff was more than happy to help me with. The staff is really nice and the rooms are VERY clean. The breakfast is good although I would have preferred to have more fruit choices and actual fruit juice. I REALLY enjoyed the lunch, which I thought was very well presented and prepared. The restaurant staff is awesome and room service was great. I would definitely recommend this hotel, I think you really get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Arabic first
Algiers, Algeria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel occupies the two first stories of a residential building and seems to be in the past apartments that are transformed. That perhaps explains the arrangement of the rooms: two or three in the front of the noisy road but all others in the two sides with direct view to another side building with only few meters distance. So, the rooms are very dark and a little bit old. The furnitures are minimal and the beds are noisy and hardest than orthopaedics. The restaurant can be used only if you are very patient or have nothing to do in the afternoon...
However, it is clean and the reception staffs are friendly and the free airport pickup is appreciated (with “kamikaze” driver but it seems to be common in Cairo…).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I booked a room almost 4 weeks before my arrival. Received an email from management confirming my booking.
As I arrived in Cairo early, I left my luggage at the reception to do a bit of sightseeing. At the time, the reception guy checked my booking and everything is fine.
However, when I was back at the hotel at 1300 to check-in I was told by a different guy that they do not have a room for me!! Was told that they have a maintenance issue and the hotel is full.
They booked me into a different hotel and I have no choice but to accept it as I am desperate for a rest after almost 24 hour of no sleep.
Will stay clear of this hotel in the future.

ps. i noticed the hotel proudly display their 4 star tripadvisor rating on the reception wall. based on my experience, this is definitely overrated!

• Stayed November 2012
osama_azmi, General Manager at Havana Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
We are very dissapointed to here of your upsetting experience. In particular we are sorry you did not have the opportunity to experinece a stay at Havana which would have given you the chance to give a fair and more fully rounded review on Trip Advisor. I would like to apologise unrservedly on behalf of myself and our staff for the unfortunate situation that ended up with us bieng unable to provide you with a room. We had a maintenecae issue as explained to you which left us unable to give u a room to the standard that both you and we at Havana would expect. My staff did their best to find you an alternative hotel and we sent our bell boy Mahmoud to accompany you and your baggage by taxi, for which we paid. Our clients comfort and satisfaction is our number one priority and when we fail to achieve this it pains us becuase we take these occurrences very seriously and personally. Once again, we are very sorry we were not able to accommodate you.
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at Havana Hotel for 4 days and overall, I would recommend this hotel, although there are a few gotchas.

The hotel is tastily and efficiently designed to maximize the space of the rooms, the beds are firm, and the hotel is extremely clean. The service was great, as the staff is very accommodating. Hotel location is in a convenient & safe area of Mohandessein, where there are restaurants, markets, and shopping just minutes away. However, the hotel is not located on a 'busy' street, by Cairo standards. Wi-fi in the room was excellent!

As for the gotchas 1.) Most of the rooms face adjacent buildings or alleyways, which makes for an awful view. Cairo is a place with many old buildings and trash is about everywhere, so this is the view unless the drapes are shut. 2.) The lighting in the room is soft and dim. 3.) The hotel is 2 floors, 15 rooms each. There are no elevators in this hotel. 4.) They have free afternoon tea and cake from 7pm-8pm, and a pretty good breakfast although some items (including the cake) had a freezer burned taste. 5.) The doorbells are loud, so much so one would think it is their own bell ringing. I found myself checking the door the first few times, then learned to ignore the doorbells thereafter.

Factoring in the pros and cons, this hotel is worth considering for your trip, especially at this price range.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I will preface this review by saying this is Cairo, and when i rate this hotel highly, its for what it is, in the city it is!

Easily found by our driver, we were greeted, checked in promptly (at 6:30am!), and werent harrassed for tips. So we were very grateful to get into our room WAY before 12. Otherwise the room was clean, small but then again it was a king sized bed! The bathroom had a shower, no bath, but was clean and spacious considering some of the closet sized bathrooms ive seen before!

Tv and free fast wifi are available, and none of that new code for a new day nonsense. AC works very well, and there are extra blankets. Next door is a "no questions asked" money exchange, with good rates, and across the road is a pretty decent shwarma place. Also a pharmacy across the road. And always a handy securtiy guy outside! the breakfast was actually better than i thought, with omlettes, fruits, yoghurt, eggs, cheese, breads, and a couple other odd things i didnt try. From7-9am.

Honestly we only really slept and had breakfast here, but it was more than comfortable, and the staff were always helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This could easily be a 5-star review, were it for a major issue to me: the noise. Let's start from the beginnning. Havana Hotel it's overall a nice hotel and a smart choice if you are on a budget. The Hotel has a very friendly and polite staff. The rooms are spacious and, most of all, very clean (which is not so common for a country like Egypt). They also arrange a free pick-up at the airport (very useful when you arrive and don't know the city yet).

Considering the price you pay could be a big deal but all is screwed-up by the . First, the hotel is facing a quite crowded and trafficked Cairo Street and egyptians are certainly not the quietest drivers in the world (they honk all the time, day or night, everyday). So I asked for a room in the backyard, but the situation wasn't much better. The windows were not perfectly closed so you hear the traffic as well (and you have to add the Muezzin start praying with a PA at 6 in the morning).
The room doors, also, are old and they are not noise-reducing. Mine had a 2 centimeters gap with the corridor so the light came at night, very disturbing, and of course it was like sleeping in the corridor itself. Even if the guests in the other rooms are only talking you hear them perfectly.
There is also a free wi-fi which can be considered a "plus", if it only worked (I stayed 3 nights and wi-fi didn't work for 2 nights).

So, if you are the kind of people who don't care for noise and can sleep in every circumstance, Havana Hotel it's a great bargain. But, if you, like me, need quiet places to sleep, you'd better keep off.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed at the Havana Hotel before (him twice, me once) and loved it. So when we had to return to Cairo, we thought we'd stick with what we knew...

The staff were still friendly. The breakfast buffet was still filling and healthy. The room, however was just not completely cleaned. The sheets had been changed and bed made up but nothing else was done. We reported it to the front desk who sent someone up immediately to sort out the problem, but the pleasant feelings surrounding the Havana Hotel were destroyed.

It's still good value for money and maybe our experience was a rare occurrence, but I would probably try somewhere else if I had to return to Cairo.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Havana Hotel? Share your experiences!