“The benchmark for a 5 star hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Cairo, Nile City

You added Fairmont Cairo, Nile City to your Saves list
Fairmont Cairo, Nile City
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nile City Towers - 2005 B, Corniche El Nil | Ramlet Beaulac, Cairo 2466, Egypt   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #5 of 130 Hotels in Cairo
4.5 of 5 stars 776 Reviews
Dallas, Texas
“The benchmark for a 5 star hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

This is by far the best hotel we have ever stayed in. Absolutely perfect. The service is phenomenal, rooftop bar has excellent views of city, Nile and the Pyramids as well! The front desk is always eager to help you with everything, starting from calling acab, crossing the streets of cairo to making reservations. We had six month old with us, as other reviewers mentioned they took care of everything before hand.
I could recommend this hotel anymore, its no wonder that it is number 1.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

I generally stay in 5-star hotels when I travel around the world. This one is probably one of the best hotels that I have ever stayed in. The private check-in for "gold" rooms on the 14th floor was great, and we were treated very well. We were presented with complimentary drinks while checking in, and we were walked to our room. Also, there was plenty of free bottled water in the room since you cannot drink the tap water.

The rooms themselves are very, very nice, and have some really neat technology (e.g., you just have to wave your key by the door, rather than sticking it into a slot). The Gold lounge was very nice, and the breakfast they provided was more than enough.

We also set up a tour of the pyramids, the Egypt museum, and the light & sound show through the concierge. Everything was great, on-time and exactly what we asked for. There was one blip where I had to pay for tickets to get into the sound and light show that were supposed to be included with the fee we paid to the hotel. Though, upon hearing of this, the concierge immediately refunded my money without me even having to ask. This is the way service should be.

One little thing that I found funny, though, was the safe. The hotel provded an in-room safe, but it didn't attach it to the wall. So, as you can see in the pictures, I was able to take the safe out of the closet and walk around with it...

• Stayed April 2010
Calgary,AB,Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

Form the first moment of arrival when the doorman opened the door of our car to to the last second of stay I liked that hotel. Service is great at every part of the hotel. My two years old daughter got a doll on check in. They also arranged a crib for her and full set of things you need for a little one, like few diapers, baby shampoo , oil. Room was spotless and I liked the glass wall between the bathroom and bedroom, so we could enjoy view of the Nile river while taking the bath. The electric plugs are switchable 110 -220 V and you can use multiple shapes. There are few restaurants in the hotel and few nice ones on the walking distance from it. The hotel once are more expensive. The pool is nice on top of the roof + they have kids pool.
I have to say I didn't like Cairo.Too busy, too dirty, too noisy for me, so if not the hotel, it wouldn't be so relaxing to stay there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

I chose this hotel based on TA reviews and the fact that I wanted to relax in a nice place at the end of my Egypt holiday. Upon arriving to my room, I learned that the pool was closed for the next few days. What??? Grrrrr! I chose this hotel because I wanted a nice roof top pool. I even called before I booked my room to make sure it would be operational.....assured it would be. So I was a little disappointed. Now they did offer to send me to other hotel, but I wanted to stay HERE! The manager, Cherry, was great!! She offered me an upgraded room at no charge and then free transport to another hotel up the street (Conrad) to use their pool.....it was good. Yes, it would have been nice to simply go up the elevator to the roof, but really in the grand scheme of things....not a deal breaker for me! The staff at this hotel is super! So polite and took care of anything I wanted. The room was VERY clean and the free wi-fi was great considering how expensive the hotel internet was at other hotels in Egypt. The bed was soooooo comfortable!!! I would stay here again, for sure!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

We got here today May 27th, 2010. Its hot in Cairo so we went up to the pool. There was a body guard that told us the pool was shut. We could see that it was shut because they were preparing the pool for some type of private party. We could see that they were installing speakers and props for the party. It is for an event that guests will not be allowed to attend. Don't expect to have access to the pool when you get here.

What? We picked this place because its hot in Cairo and we wanted to swim. Its $250.00 per night and I can't swim in the pool? Honestly, I felt used. I called and asked to speak to the manager, and he said that the pool is closed for maintenance. Which I observed wasn't true with my own eyes. He offered to by us the taxi fair to another resort across the river to use their pool. But thats 10 minutes away. I wanted to walk to the elevator and go up to this pool and they rented the pool out for a private party.

I asked for a discount explaining that I spent $250 per night expecting to swim. He said that since I booked my room through the internet, he (the manager) didn't know what I was paying, so he couldn't give me a discount. I asked for a discount on what the hotel received, and he said it was against hotel policy, and he didn't know what the hotel gets for me being here. I doubt that is true either. What manager doesn't know their business's income?

I am not happy. The desk people, the bell boys, everyone else has been great here, but the management is dismal. You should not book here. Its should cost the Fairmont money for how they treat their guests. This is not the Fairmont that you have come to know in other parts of the world. Sorry to report the bad news. Do not expect good management when you travel to this brand. The manager on duty who did this was Amr Almaqa.

Sorry to give you the bad news,
Dan Bell
dhb2015@yahoo.com

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

We recently stayed at the Fairmont Nile City twice during a 10 day trip to Egypt and I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. I travelled to Egypt with my mum and sister and the stays in Cairo formed either end of the trip which also visted Luxor (see separate review of the Hilton Luxor - another fantastic hotel).

This was the first holiday in nearly a year so I wanted to ensure the hotels we stayed in were luxurious without being over-priced or too old fashioned. During the first stay at the FNC, we booked into a room on the Fairmont Gold level and I highly recommend this purely for the fact that you have access to pretty much unlimited food and drink in the lounge all day and also free WIFI (although you can get this throughout the hotel if you are a member of the Fairmont President's Club which I am), but more than any of those items, the service you receive from the staff in the lounge is fantastic. They really do go the extra mile to help you with anything you need. I debated between this hotel and the Conrad Cairo for ages before I booked but I know I picked the best one for the price we paid.

One thing to be aware of though, is that some of the non Nile view rooms do overlook a nightclub which is VERY noisy on Friday nights. As we had booked a standard Fairmont Gold room we did not have a Nile view when we arrived. However, luckily for us, we arrived at the hotel at around 2am on Saturday morning when the nightclub was in full swing and when the Fairmont Gold staff member showed us to the room, we immediately heard the extremely noisy music (I couldn't understand why the rooms were not sound proofed). The staff member just shrugged it off and apologised that the room overlooked the club and left us in the room. However, the Gold manager popped into our room about 10 minutes later and asked if everything was fine with the room at which point I took the opportunity to point out that it wasn't as it was nearly 2.30am, we were exhausted from our flight and wanted to go to sleep but obviously there was the slight inconvenience of a pounding nightclub below!. However, to give them credit, the manager said "you are 100% right and this is not acceptable" and immediately moved us to a nile view gold room across the hall for the much needed peace and quiet and they did not charge us any extra for this either which was very good of them.

We stayed at the FNC again for the last two nights of our trip and this time we did not book the gold floor but just a standard room and the room was exactly the same size as the room we had previously on the gold floor but there were certain amenities missing such as the Nespresso machine, larger Miller Harris products etc. but overall, this was also a good stay. However, I did notice the difference between the service you receive on the gold floor which is just exemplary and the staff cannot do enough for you to that received on the normal floors.

My overall thoughts are that if you want a gorgeous, modern but luxurious hotel near the centre of Cairo, definitely stay here but do book a room on the Gold floor if you can, as the extra price more than makes up for the enhanced service you receive (as well as the unlimited food and drink if you are into eating!).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

Beautiful hotel that ticks all the boxes. Gorgeous rooms with the most fabulous bathrooms!!Fluffy robes and deluxe toiletries. This really is true 5 star quality. Lovely breakfast - definitely try the fresh strawberry juice!!! My only criticism would be the minimum charge for using internet is a bit steep if you only want 5 minutes...but wasn't really a problem.

• Stayed April 2010

Been to Fairmont Cairo, Nile City? Share your experiences!