“Amazing vacations with the perfect hostel” 5 of 5 stars

You added King Tut Hostel to your Saves list
King Tut Hostel
37 Talat Harb | Down Town Cairo, Cairo 0202, Egypt   |
Ranked #24 of 129 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
“Amazing vacations with the perfect hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

I spent my vacations there and no doubt that Was the right selection great service and Room make An unforgetable holiday thanks to all staff ! .The rooms are big enough,clean..Almost all employees can clearly speak English. Very Well ubicated.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

This accomodation I would advise to anybody that would stay over in Cairo .... The staff and the wellcoming of the owner was must warming ... It is well worth the stay and fell at home even though the langue was foreign but the people are Blessed .... Thanks you Lana van der Merwe

• Stayed May 2012
Dublin, Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed here in February 2010 and was apprehensive visiting Cairo and broke the golden rule (according to Lonely Planet) and made a deal with a guy in Cairo in planning the entire trip (20 days or so in Egypt and cash up front - gulp). About the trip later.

I would not be a fussy person and so everything was perfect for me in the hostel - staff were very hospitable and the owner's Australian wife really put me at ease. I was happy and would stay there again, friendly staff and an amazing atmosphere on the street outside. Its not five star in terms of hotels, its a hostel and I think good value for money and that's why I give it 5 stars. It seemed to have a good location not far from the museum and I loved the hussle and bussle of the area downstairs. PS if you like your creature comforts maybe this would not be for you but if you want a nice place to start a great adventure its perfect.

The deal I made with the owner worked out at about 48 sterling per day for about 20 days 3 days in Cairo, 1 night in Aswan, 3 nights on a cruise ship to Luxor, 1 in Hurgadah, and the rest in Dahab diving- I think for what I got it was an amazing bargain. What did I get? Accommodation for the entire trip with breakfast and once I got out of Cairo it was usually 4 star hotels. Airport pickups in a nice car and somebody to settle me into the hotel and if I was around for a few days made sure I was looked after (ie welcome make sure I had everything I needed or anything I wanted, and got on the right bus, plane, boat etc.) I felt like a wealthy person driving up to sites in Cairo past all the tourists in their buses with my own driver and tour guide (I joked I felt like Barack Obama). The driver and tour guides in Cairo were exceptional and an honour to be around, they really made the experience. Dinner was included each time I had a tour. I think I saw every major site along the Nile south of Cairo, Abu Simbal etc etc.. Flight connections (seats with most legroom). Past all the queues at the sites (apart from Valley of the Kings but that's expected) and good deals for any extras, 20 euro dives after I had my few freebies and breakfast still included everyday and somebody to sort out anything for me if I had a problem which I did not.

I could go on but I had an amazing stay and feel the owner really looked after me for my entire trip in Egypt, if I had a problem I knew that if I made a phone call it would be sorted (the people who worked for him seemed afraid to lose his business and were eager to impress). He rang me regularly (every few days to ensure everything was perfect for me). I forgot to mention I got a trip on the Nile in a cruise ship from Aswan to Luxor too (lovely room etc etc.) everything free apart from alcohol.

Really on reflection the owner did me a massive favour in giving me one of the most memorable holidays of my life. I said I would write a good review for him if I was happy and I am sorry I left it so late. I left Egypt very happy with Egyptian hospitality and indebted really to a great host who was the owner of the King Tut hostel.

PS I think some tourists try and haggle too much with the locals in a lot of countries on price I find if you are fair and respectful you get the same back and that really epitomised my stay in Egypt. You need to be on the lookout for being hussled (I saw some tourists been ripped off but if you don't feel comfortable just say no and shop around) I found Egyptian people fantastic.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

Came in middle of the night Saturday after being turned away and striking out at many other hostels. Staff welcomed us and was eager to show us two private rooms @ 90le/$12 per night. As is customary we were offered tea in the comfortable common area with wall to wall rugs and pillows. Breakfast everyday there also. All staff speak fluent English and easily supplied tour guides and drivers to all sights including Alexandria & Luxor at fair or cheap prices. Centrally located downtown close access to shops and markets good eateries and local fare. Clean, safe, comfortable private rooms. With Air Conditioning. Western style bathroom/shower with hot water. FREE WIFI!!!!

• Stayed May 2012
Utrecht, Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

In this review i am taking into consideration that the price is only EGP 150 a night, so i will not be too critical.

One important factor in this hotel is that the rooms are all different, and your experience may vary largely on which one you get. Some of the twin rooms in the back of the hotel are just tiny, while you can get a triple or even quadruple room at the front at the same price (when staying with 1 or 2 people, ofcourse) if you are in luck.

The location of this ho(s)tel is excellent, smack in the middle of downtown on talaat harb street close to midan orabi. The surrounding area offers plenty of shops, restaurants etc. within a few minutes walking distance. The downside is that you do get the traffic noise, even at the 8th floor height of this hotel.

Despite the rooms showing their age, facilities like aircon/heating and hot showers are functional. Cleanliness is a relative issue: i found the (bath)rooms not to be spotless, but not dirty compared to other egyptian budget places at all. Free wifi is provided throughout the hotel and works generally well, although it does drop out or slow down at some times for unknown reason.

The included breakfast is little to write home about: it features a few pieces of bread with cream cheese and jam, and only a cup of tea - no coffee, no juice. Considering the price and the availability of a fresh juice or coffee within 3 minutes walking distance this should not be a major issue.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. They do offer services like taxi/car rental and tours, but were not pushy about those at all to me. Free airport pickup is also included if you stay for a few nights, which is is a really nice extra if you are arriving in cairo after a long journey.

All in all, this place is no 3+ star hotel at all, but i felt like they sincerely do their best to make your stay as comfortable as possible, and its good value for money to those on a tight budget. I would stay here again if i needed an afforadable no-frills bed in downtown Cairo.

Room Tip: Look at all they have available - they are the same price but different in size and comfort level. D...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Transerred to this hostel from a different hostel in Cairo. Booked online and walked down Talit Harb to check out hotel. We pleasantly surprised to see that I had been booked into a small but very clean, self-contained hotel like room with air conditioning and balcony.

Staff were only too keen to help and went errands for me for litereally minimal tips including getting food for me in the middle of the night, from local stalls/shops.

Would definately use this hostel again ... hotel standard for hostel price!

Room Tip: Like any Cairo hostel ... check room before agreeing to it!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Khartoum, Sudan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We arrived at King Tuts via a pick up from the train station after a long ride in a local bus through the Sinai Peninsular. The driver wanted to put our bags for eight of us on the roof without tying them on! Fortunately we had a piece of rope to tie them down. We were given time to settle into our rooms - very basic backpacker style but great location very central. We were then asked to meet for 'apple tea' in the guest lounge. my husband and I realised that we were probably going to get a speil about their tours. it is not easy to tour under ones own steam in Egypt and as this was the last stop of our eight week trip and we had eight of us My husband and I and six kids aged from 12 - 21 we were open to suggestions. We were aware to book an eight day trip down the Nile from New Zealand is about $3000 per person. The owner described the eight day trip he had planned and said it included overnight train, accommodation on a cruise ship, food,tips and a guide for 450 US per person (about $550 NZ). We said okay so because we didn't haggle he upgraded us to a 5 star cruise on the Nile and Included Abu Simbel. The trip was awesome, the guide fantastic and it included all he said it would. We were probably fortunate that we were a large enough family to constitute a group - we had a lovely doctor from England join us for the trip.
Amazing value for money. This trip was in January 2008.

Room Tip: The rooms at King Tut are pretty basic but okay - your typical backpackers it is their eight day tou...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Been to King Tut Hostel? Share your experiences!