“I wrote this in March 2006 and the scam is still going on,I am disgusted and its 2012.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Europa Hotel

Save Saved
You added Europa Hotel to your Saves list
Europa Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Pyramdis Road, Cairo, Egypt   |
Ranked #116 of 131 hotels in Cairo
United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I appeal to you not to go there, this not a 3 or 4 star hotel. The decor is falling apart holes in the wall, some wires sticking out, probably 1/2 star, bathrooms are shabby, no air conditioning so it was 28 degrees in our room, the pool must have been disused for over a year. The room service terrible, furniture old (dusty/musty smell), perhaps it was 4 star hotel in the 1970s. the lifts falling apart, breakfast room had dirty table coverings, floors shabby and general decor.

I had booked a week there and was mortified at the hotel when I arrived. I called the UK to change the hotel and did not get a refund for the hotel (1 night stay) from the Europa Hotel or Bargainholiday.com

At Bargain [-----------------]the Customer Service person someone called Raj said he contacted the owner and that they disagreed with my complaints and to this day I know Europa Hotal is on their prefered list of hotels. I had to speak to [------------------]to change the hotel my £70.00 phone bill was not refunded to me by [----------------].
PLEASE PLEASE DON'T GO THERE!!!! The rest of the week we stayed at the Zoser Partner Hotel up the road, they were an excellent 4 Star Hotel!!!!! go there!!!

Stayed March 2005

Room Tip: Keep away nothing has changed really
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
victoria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Disgusting, Elevator was a death trap and jiggled it's way up on an angle, it was the ride from hell, room had graffiti, sheets were dirty, toilet was leaking on floor, water from tap was sludge and even the soap in the new wrapper was dirty, we left and went to the hotel across the road. TERRIBLE!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Kozhikode, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

I stayed in this hotel when I went o Egypt for the first time.I was tour leader of the group and I am happy that the group members didn't manhandle me at least. Since experience is the best teacher I never had to book this pathetic hotel in my later trips to Egypt.There is no light in the room, bad cigarette smell all over, horrible food etc...etc..etc.....When I went Egypt in last May, I was told that the hotel was fully destroyed by demonstrators during Egypt revolution in February 2011. I don't know whether it is true or not. It is not surprise if Egyptians themselves demolish this property which is actually a disgrace tho their country.

Room Tip: All rooms are horrible
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Guayaquil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

Yes, the hotel wasnt a 5 stars one, but it was the one our tour included, at least you could rest after the long journeys in Cairo. We stayed 4 days and practically we just went there to clean ourselves up and sleep.
The beds were turned down daily and we had clean towels everyday.
Staff was frienldly, yes, i had to tip the bellboy everytime i used the elevator, but, if our currency is the Dollar or the Euro, why do we complain so much??? Im not a rich person but i was soooo happy to be there, and the currency exchange was so conveniente that i felt one way of sharing my joy was giving a small tip .
Breakfast hotel was ok, varied, fresh, always ready early in the morning.
Location was ok, of course traffic was heavy but you could find a convenience store nearby, a cyber with internet , phone booths to call your country, some shops.
If you travel with a tight budget, i guess its ok, but if you want luxury and full comfort, choose another place.
I visited Cairo and all I remember is the good things and the wonderful time i had there, and the great happiness i felt in my heart when i was right there, inside the Pyramids .
I thank my tour guide Ali Ali Hamza, I couldnt have found another human being like him.

• Stayed May 2010
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

We take room for two weeks but after 6 day we thought it is worth to pay 400€ for rest of vacation in other hotel.

Hotel Pool was not in use (they sayd that is because it is winter time there +26 Celcius) So we could not take even any sun, because they locked up roof top area.

Hotel breakfast was very poor !!! Only good thing there was that McDonalds was very near + shopping mall.

When they say it is near pyramids, it does not help because taxi is so cheap to use in Cairo. So you can take hotel from anywhere.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

I was ignored at reception when I first arrived. I had to give a tip every time I used the elevator. The taxi service would not just take you where you wanted to go, they would stop off at thier friends shops where you couldn't get out without buying something. Don't go to the pyramids with them, they will take you to the most expensive camel rides there and will complain that your tips are not enough even when you offer them 10 times as much as the lonely planet says is a reasonable tip. Their tour of the pyramids cost me 500 pounds and lasted about an hour. Later on in my trip I walked down to the pyramids myself and got to walk around all day for 30 pounds. I felt like a prisoner there and would plan my day with the least amount of times I would have to walk through the lobby to avoid everyone there trying to get money out of me. Some of the shopkeepers in the area told me horror stories about the place and would offer me their hospitality just to make me feel better and let me know that not all the locals were rip off merchants like the people at the Europa hotel. Being the adventourous type,I spent a lot of time exploring the back streets in Giza with a few scary experiences so beware but the main road was fairly safe and most locals were really friendly and would like to chat to you on the streets. I could go on and on about how bad the Europa hotel is but the other reviews pretty much say it all. Don't stay there and give them your business because they don't deserve to be in business.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

The pool is on the roof top (10th floor) and has been neglected for what looked like years. Food trays left in the hallway for days. Rooms were not cleaned properly- no vacuuming, no dusting, towels were a rarity- they only seemed to have one bath towel at a time for two people. When asked for more, we were told, they needed washing. Couldn't see out of the mirror in the bathroom, remote control didn't work. Only one elevator working at a time. Phone calls every evening from a women in the 'beauty center' insisting my husband come down for a 'massage' (and maybe more).
Only good thing was that the air condition was good as was the fridge.
It is definitely not a 4 star, at best, a one star.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Europa Hotel? Share your experiences!