“Nice Hotel - Friendy Staff - Good Value Accomodation” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Longchamps
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21 Ismail Muhammad | Zamalek, Cairo 11000, Egypt   |
Ranked #5 of 131 hotels in Cairo
Sydney, Australia
“Nice Hotel - Friendy Staff - Good Value Accomodation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Everything was as to be expected & more for the hotels rating, the price was good value. The rooms were very clean and the bathroom looked as though it was brand new (see photos). We stayed in the executive room which was two single beds pushed together to make a double/queen - the air con was great which is necessary in Cairo.

The staff were very good, the airport transfers that we arranged were also very good & punctual and the breakfast served was a great variety of food, get in early though as a lot of it goes quickly.

I didn't believe we were in one of the better parts of Cairo from the rubbish on the streets and the general hustle & bustle but after seeing more I was very happy with our accomodation & location. Some great little shops around and plenty of laundry services (around AU$10 for 5kg - the hotel charges per item). Wi Fi available for free which is always a bonus!

Not 5 star accomodation - you would need 4 seasons etc for that experience but considering we didn't spend a great deal of time in the room it was perfect for us (we were out doing tours most of the time).

There were areas for guests to relax on balconies / reading areas which was a nice touch - one recommendation is "don't drink the tap water" or use it to brush your teeth anywhere in Cairo, we got more then we wanted after re-filling bottled water.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

490 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Plum Island, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We found this hotel from a recommendation in Lonely Planet. With no reservations we walked in and were lucky enough to book for two nights. After a bad hotel experience our first night in Cairo we took a look a the room first this time, & were very happy with the accomodations. Rooms were large, quiet, and most importantly clean! Excellent value for the stay, with a great complimentary breakfast. Owner was present, and staff were friendly as well as informative.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I had booked the Longchamps for my journey to Cairo in November 2011. We had booked 2 rooms. All had gone well and I had also requested them to arrange for hotel pickup and help in acquiring train tickets for my trip to Aswan. The booking was confirmed by Hebba who on the outset was a fantastic person to deal with.

Yesterday I emailed them regarding a single letter or email to confirm the booking so that I can present the same to the Egyptian embassy here in India for my visa as part of their requirements. However Hebba denied the same, which was fine by me, but she actually went across and cancelled our booking.

I was shocked at this and tried to communicate to them both on email and on phone trying to understand where the problem is. Hebba was extremely rude and point blank told me that she had sold my rooms to somebody else.

On further inquiring as to why this was done, she said that I had not shared with her the security code for my CC, which by the way I had shared along with all other details of my credit card.

After this i got a email from Hebba saying that they are not allowed to help foreign nationals acquire travel visa because of the political condition that is why she cancelled the same. Which again i don't understand? Asking for a confirmation of our booking cannot be related to helping us acquire a travel visa and thus cancelling our booking. This is so unacceptable.

This is absolutely horrible customer service. The hotel might be nice for many people however we had a bad experience before we entered the hotel with the reservation being cancelled only because we asked for a letter/email to get our visas.

BTW all other hotels (in Aswan, Luxor and Hurgada) sent us the booking confirmation via email for visa and did not create any issues. Moreover none of them asked for CC details at the time of booking only a conformation call from our end 24 hours before check in.

I don't understand that why was this done. Was it because I had requested a letter/email confirming the booking? I find it hard to believe, because other hotels sent me the same. There reason of not providing CC details is also not correct because I did that. What I feel is that they got a higher price on their rooms and these were just excuses to cancel the booking and sell it again on higher price. Which if being the case is very unprofessional and unjustified.

I would advice people who booking the hotel to please not argue with Hebba or ask for any help, because if you do so, they will cancel your booking without any reason.

Room Tip: My research shows all rooms are good, however a piece of advise donot argue with Hebba as ask for re...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Longchamps in July 2011 and were not disappointed. It’s a very good, clean, comfortable 3-star hotel located in one of the nicer areas of Cairo. If you’re looking for 5-star luxury or a chain hotel, this is probably not the place for you. However, since we needed 2 rooms for 5 nights, this was a good value for the money at less than US $100 per room per night (including all taxes and fees). There’s a lot to like about the Hotel Longchamps. It’s located in Zamalek which is quieter, greener and has less traffic than central Cairo. The staff was friendly and welcoming and, unlike the big chains, don’t demand bakeesh (tips) for every service. Gaby, especially, was so friendly and helpful. Our daughter came down with intestinal sickness during our stay and Gaby was incredibly kind and helpful. The breakfast was very tasty with a good selection of breads, cheeses, meats, scrambled eggs and local Egyptian foods. Breakfast begins at 7 AM and thus had to miss one day because of an early trip to Alexandria. There’s a lovely, peaceful terrace where you can enjoy a beer or glass of wine (reasonably priced) after a long, hot day of touring Cairo. AC worked fine in both rooms. One of our rooms (the double) had been recently renovated and was really nice! The other room (triple) looked a little worn and had a slightly stale odor (maybe from the AC). We’d recommend booking one of the superior or executive rooms – worth the extra cost in our opinion. The commons areas are very clean and nicely furnished but some areas could use a little updating. All in all, a lovely little hotel that feels like home.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I just can’t recommend the Hotel Longchamps highly enough. Perfect location, friendly and knowledgeable staff and a fantastic laid-back atmosphere. It is also superb value for money. If you are in Cairo, you should stay here, I promise you!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Round Rock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This is a really wonderful hotel. You have to experience it to understand. The street does not look like a hotel is located there but the general area is busy and safe. We rented one double and one triple. Both rooms were very nice with AC capable of keeping the room very cool. Rooms and bath/showers are large and very comfortable. Everything is very clean. The hotel has an outside seating area and an inside eating area that is kept cool. The breakfast is excellent. Scrambled eggs or traditional Egyptian selections are available. Also a variety of bread, cheese and juices. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Meals and beer/wine inside the hotel is reasonably priced unlike other hotels. We walked to the local mall about a mile away for another evening meal. Gaby was extremely helpful and was most generous in dealing with our family. We walked to the mall and back at night without any feeling of insecurity. As with anywhere else, we stayed in public and populated areas. Hundreds of people were on the streets and lots of traffic. Egypt really needs tourists now in order to maintain their historic sites. I would not consider staying anywhere else upon returning to Egypt. This hotel is very secure and even has taken the additional step of having an armed security guard overnight in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We picked Hotel Longchamps based on the great Tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed. Our group of 9 – traveling independently – wanted to get an experience of Cairo outside the bubble of luxury-chain hotels, and Longchamps proved an excellent choice. Other reviewers have noted the large guest rooms (we had 5 of them), cleanliness, and the very helpful and gracious staff. I would add that Mme. Bakri, the owner, takes her management very seriously, training at Cornell, among other places. She clearly works to improve service based on guest feedback and her sophistication is apparent. The hotel, which is on the upper floors of its building, serves as a quiet respite from the city. Its lovely terrace is a pleasant place to enjoy a Stella beer or a glass of wine after a long day to touring. The breakfast features not only favorites of American and European visitors, but also local foods such as fuul, fiteer, and karkady (I’m hungry remembering them.). And the driver and guide the hotel arranged for us (including airport transport) – based on our own itinerary in the pyramid fields west of the Nile and in Old Cairo – were excellent and affordable. Zamalek is indeed one of the nicer neighborhoods of Cairo, filled with the embassies of several Asian and South American countries among others (and their guards), and there are nice shops and delicious restaurants in walking distance. The staff makes wonderful recommendations on these. But don’t expect something like Dupont Circle in Washington DC or other ritzy embassy districts – sidewalks are still often broken here and Cairenes do not extend the beauty and cleanliness of their homes and shops’ interiors to the street. The hotel is on a quiet side street, and has fascinating views over the city’s roofs, but nearby streets are very busy. But that’s the great thing about Hotel Longchamps – you get to be in the hustle and bustle of Cairo, while still enjoying the serenity of the hotel itself. It’s a splendid value and I hope to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Longchamps? Share your experiences!