“Not Officially Open” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 154 attractions in Cairo
Type: Historic Sites, Ancient Ruins
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This complex consists of four (of the original fifteen) pyramids from the 5th Dynasty: the pyramids of Neferefre, Neferirkare, Niuserre and Sahure.
Indianapolis, Indiana
71 attraction reviews
“Not Officially Open”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I visited in March 2012. My guide said that he knew the guards and that I would be able to visit Abu Sir and Abu Ghorab for a small "fee" and tip for the "guides." I was more than happy to pay a bribe to visit a closed site!! My guide did not come with me, as I think he did not want to get in trouble if we were caught. So he actually drove away from the site. He was called when it was time to pick me up.

The pyramids of Abu Sir are located south of Giza and north of Saqqara. On a clear day you can easily see the pyramids in Giza and the Step Pyramid of Djoser from this site. Unfortunately for me, it was a bit hazy so my pics of those pyramids from Abu Sir didn't turn out too well.

I visited the pyramid of Sahure, and saw three other pyramids at Abu Sir. The only one I was able to get close too was the pyramid of Sahure. I was told there wasn't much to see at the other pyramids and the best view of them was in the desert on the walk to Abu Ghorab. I was able to get a pic next to the broken sarcophagus of Sahure and his wife.

I then walked for about 30 minutes to Abu Ghorab to visit the ruins of the sun temple. I stood on the sun dial for a photo op and saw the nine alabaster basins used for the blood of sacrifices. What a fun time to see a site that was closed to the public!!

Visited June 2012

Liverpool
78 attraction reviews
“If open, these rarely visited pyramids make a nice contrast to the famous Giza pyramids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

Some of the reviews here seem to be commenting on the famous pyramids of Giza, on the outskirts of modern Cairo.

By contrast, the Abusir pyramids are to the south of this, and in fact are much nearer to Saqqara. Abusir was closed in March 2012, but it can be seen from the road to Saqqara. In case it opens again in the future, here is what I remember from visits to the site in previous years:

Abusir is the site of four pyramids of Fifth Dynasty kings (c. 2450 BC): Sahure, Niuserre, Neferirkare, and Raneferef. Of these, the remains of the pyramid temple of Sahure form the most interesting surviving ruins. Although fragmentary, enough survives of this temple to clearly show just how magnificent it once was, with inscribed fragments and columns of basalt, pink granite, and limestone lying everywhere, and the overall ground plan of the temple still discernable. The interior of the pyramid has never been accessible when I have visited.

Of the other pyramids, the temple of Niuserre is also worth a look - notable mainly for the vast black basalt floor of its courtyard, and a few other sculptural fragments.

This site is absolutely worth visiting if you have more than a passing interest in Ancient Egyptian monuments.

Visited March 2012
Budapest
30 attraction reviews
“closed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

We were told it is closed, but we could see them from a distance, when in Saqqara, on the way to the tomb of Ti.

Visited March 2012
perth
3 attraction reviews
“you just have to go there!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

The pyramids, were a disappointment, the place is like a giant quarry filled with white stones, barren & with every kind of seller and conman immaginable, even the cops want money if you take their photo. Having said that you just to go there, wouldnt miss it for the world would you? but thats Egypt for you, we love the place.
The highlight of our tour was a cruise down the Nile to Abu Simbel. What an amazing place, and a real showpiece showing what man can do when its necessary. I suggest you cant miss this visit. Also read up on it prior to going which really gives you an insight into the structure. The light & sound show is great! Enjoy

Visited August 2010