“Good Hotel with great character” 4 of 5 stars

Victoria Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   66, Al Gumhuriyya, Cairo, Egypt   |
Ranked #70 of 135 Hotels in Cairo
Wellington, New Zealand
“Good Hotel with great character”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My stay at the Victoria was an enjoyable one. The hotel was empty due to the current lack of tourists, but the people working in the hotel were friendly and very helpful. The room was large and comfortable. The food in the restaurant was somewhat limited, but was good. The only negatives I can mention is a lack of wi-fi (they did have a rather old fashioned set of PCs that did provide some internet capability) and there were a number of mosquitos around the hotel, including in my room. But overall, I enjoyed my stay and will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This well-managed classic used to welcome King George and George Bernard Shaw. Victoria Hotel is hotel is conveniently located near the station and a short walk from downtown and Khan-el-Khalili bazaar. The hotel has a certain old world charm and historic character with clean, spacious and comfortable rooms. They serve good breakfast; have Internet access room, a beautiful bar and a nice patio. We have to run away from Cleopatra “anything but Palace” Hotel and when we found the Victoria we fell in love with the place. It maybe a little old, but old is good and they also serve good breakfast. One thing you should know: you get to hear extremely loud prayers at 5am from the nearby mosque and barking dogs that sound like they are in the hallway. Still, is part of experience Cairo. The staff is kind, friendly and helpful, ready to arrange a taxi to the Pyramids at low cost.
Cairo is huge, dusty, loud, polluted and maddeningly congested. But after 5000 years still has its charm. If you are looking for a hotel with bags of character and a fantastic staff, this is it. Old fashioned service and values which are too often lost in today's hospitality industry. This is real people and at the end of the day, it´s all about people. We felt really safe, freely walked around Cairo, visited The Egyptian Museum, crossed the Nile to walk around Zamalek and explored Tahrir Square with not a hint of trouble anywhere. Be as careful as you would be in any city around the world and you will have a really interesting as well as exciting experience. Excellent value for money. We really enjoyed our stay and would certainly go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel offers very simple accommodations (local TV stations, DSL internet from computer area only) in downtown Cairo. It is between Ramsis Square and Tahrir Square, with the Khan al-Khalili bazaar also close by. Not a 5-star hotel, but inexpensive and comfortable, if you're looking for an inexpensive place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed at Victoria Hotel as part of the group contiki tour. The hotel setting was fine. It was old fashioned and I personally liked it. Rooms were big sized for myself and room mate. Bathrooms were fine and did not have a problem with hot water. The hotel in general I would say was good. However the first night we arrived, due to the the riots outside we were told to eat at the hotel. So we decided to join the group at the restaurant and waited for an hour before the meals came just to find out the chicken and lamb were raw!!! The morning after, the breakfast was not too bad. I am a huge coffee fan so a packet of Nescafe with hot water and milk wasn't good enough for me. You do not get lattes. But the turkish coffee is pretty good here. Food prices were reasonable. The rooms and hotel general area was pretty good. Food probably was the only bad experience we had at this hotel. Lounge area was large and we were a group of 35 so had enough room for all of us to gather before and after our trip for discussions and to say our good byes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

As pretty much everyone else who stays here we stayed due to it being the start and end of our contiki tour. The staff speak broken english and are super helpful. The bar area is nice and cosy and a good place to meet you fellow contiki family. There is an Internet room were you pay a small amount per 1/2hr intervals. You can either use there computers or plug in your own laptop. The bar staff will serve you alcohol in there internet room. You will be asked if you want a drink and expect to tip all the time. When we arrived a little old man grabbed our bags and carried them up to our room. I'm certain he was pushing 80 years old. Then we had to tip. we being aussie which do not tip and this being the start of our 6 months RTW trip we had no idea on how to tip. So I now know that he got a good tip and wanted to help us were ever we went. The resturant is great and really cheap. The hotel is not hugely cheap for Egypt standards but real cheap for us Aussies.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a bigger room. All rooms wil be noisey as it is in Cairo. You will here be...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hook, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed at this hotel is August 2012. I was on an organised tour and stayed two night at the beginning of the tour and one night at the end of the tour. The hotel is in a good location and an easy walk to local shops and a short drive to the Egyptian Museum. The staff were very friendly and helpful during my stay. They organised a taxi and a day sightseeing, channged currency for us and gave good local information on where was safe to walk around. Being a female initally traveling on my own I really appreciated their help. The rooms were clean, fairly basic but had everything I needed. The room rate included breakfast, there was a choice of breads, bolied eggs, cereals and juices which were adequate. I ate in the hotel restaurant a couple of times and had good meals. I felt the food and drink prices were very reasonable. I would use this hotel again if i returned to Cairo. Becky from England

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

The only reason I stayed here was because it is the start and finish hotel for Contiki.

Try and get the latest flight in if your joining the tour to minimize your stay.

After traveling a long day I arrived at 7pm and was greeted with a large bedroom with air con so that was good but no temperature control. The beds were super flat and rock hard and no international channels on the tv. Seem to only get hot water in the morning.

The breakfast was gross, so stick to a croissant and jam and DON'T DRINK the 'JUICE' I suspect it's Egyptian tape water with some flavor through it, it was one of the last things I consumed and I was extremely sick!!!

One positive note was they did do up a plate of French fries upon request to take to the room to eat which was nice as I wasn't feeling up to going out on the first night

It has a nice foyer but the hall ways and rooms have bit of a spooky,twilight zone feel to it.

• Stayed October 2012