“Tired hotel with tired staff” 3 of 5 stars

Victoria Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   66, Al Gumhuriyya, Cairo, Egypt   |
Ranked #48 of 130 Hotels in Cairo
Tieri
“Tired hotel with tired staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

The ambience of this historic hotel is fading fast. We were booked into this hotel as part of a tour group, so we started our tour from here and unfortunately returned for one last night at the end of the trip. If you have a choice don't bother staying here. Apparently there was a broken sewer pipe somewhere in the basement?? and the hotel was full of mosquitoes (which I prefer to avoid when travelling). Complaints to the hotel staff elicited no action. The staff were sluggish, the included breakfast was light on choice and quality, cold drinks such as beer were warm and the whole experience was disappointing. I can only assume the tour company gets a good deal.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I stay at the Vuctoria Hotel when I'm in Cairo,
One could not ask for a better place to stay in Cairo,
The security police are just out side on every street in Cairo.
Cairo has its old world charm and the Victoria Hotel has everything that anyone could ask for, and if you know boggy and play it again Sam. Then you found what your looking for.
The front desk staff are like family, they make you feel like your at home, and the dinning room is open al of the time.
I don't know how many times that I have been late for dinner, but my friend the chef will fix something for me..
The hotel maybe a little old but old is good.
I have had both of my knees replaced, and a debeb, to keep my heart running but I have never been stuck in a elevator at this hotel.
During the 2nd ww the hotel was a hospital for thousands of Canadians and Americans troops, and just aroung the cornor in the center of the square . Gen. Patton told his troops that he had live on that spot three thousand years ago.
Yes I love the Victoria Hotel and the people that work their.
By the way,
I'm am a Canadain and American, A ex-U.S. Marine. Viet Nam Vet.and a Muslim.
Mohammed Isa Mahdi.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Knoxville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

My partner and I took his Mother to Cairo, as a surprise, and his sister came with us.
His Mum had always loved Egyptian history, and she deserved the trip.
We flew to Cairo from London. We were picked up by a bus that took visitors to their hotel. Once we got to the hotel, I thought, where have they taken us? We got in, checked in and went to our rooms. We took the ladies to their room, and went in for a chat.
I sat on the bed, looked around at this large room, sparsely furnished, and said:
We have to get the hell out of here! The next morning, I tried to change hotels, but did not. As it turned out, after a bit of sobering up, the hotel was not near as bad as I thought. The staff could NOT have been better and friendlier, even if we had stayed at a 7 star hotel!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

We stayed at the Victoria Hotel as part of a tour, so it was included in the price of the tour and we didn't have a choice of hotels. We stayed 1 night at the beginning of the tour and 1 night at the end. I would never even consider going back there. I will put out the disclaimer that I travel a lot and am used to decdent hotels (i.e., Hiltons, Marriotts, Sheratons) so I probably have higher expectations than some people. I still would never recommend someone stay there.

We were there in December so it was a little chilly outside, especially at night, and the room was very cold because there was definitely no heat (I'd say in the high 50s-low 60s). The beds were extremely uncomfortable and the room didn't seem very clean. The towels and linens seemed to be at least 10 years old. The water in the morning was freezing so no hot shower for us (we did have warm water the second time we stayed but they obviously are not equipped to handle anywhere near a full hotel). The breakfast buffet was very disorganized and most things were empty. The food we did have was decent though.

The other reviewer was very accurate in the description of all the sounds you get to listen to: extremely loud prayers at 5am from the nearby mosque and barking dogs that sound like they are in the hallway. I've stayed in Muslim cities before but I've never heard the morning prayers sounding like there was a speaker inside your room! The second time we stayed, they gave us a "king" room - it was a queen size bed with a king mattress on it, so the mattress curved up and sat on top of the bedframe at the bottom because it didn't fit. We switched to a new room because of that and the fact that the room was next to a room that someone in our tour said he had gotten bug bites from.

I could probably go on but I think that tells enough. Definitely the worst place I've ever stayed.

• Stayed December 2010
Indialantic, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

The hotel was a very average older European style hotel. The blankets and sheets were less than desirable and I never had any sort of hot running water across two different rooms. It was included in our tour so I don't know what the price of the hotel was, but it was definitely far from luxury. Not the worst either. If you stay on the side of the hotel with the Mosque be prepared for a 5am wakeup call that sounds as if the speakers that service the city were pointing directly into your room. Oh, and have fun listening to the gangs of dogs fighting all night long. It's truly a remarkable experience. (Note sarcasm)

• Stayed December 2010
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Disliked -
Rooms are obviously ageing somewhat, unsurprisingly. The shower-head is at a strange angle, so showering without flooding the toilet requires some manoeuvring.
The porter was really insistent on taking our luggage. For people not used to travelling in Egypt yet it could be a bit alarming and awkward when the porter waits for 'baksheesh'.
The breakfast was really terrible. Other than hard boiled eggs there was nothing substantial to eat and the staff always got overwhelmed so getting hot water for tea was not easy.

Liked -
A real historical atmosphere. It wouldn't have felt out of place if I run into Poirot in the lounge. Compared to other modern hotels (we also stayed at Radison Blue in Heliopolis for a few days), this hotel was a real bargain. Not only the accommodation is a real bargain, the food and drinks are very reasonably priced too. The fact that it's situated right in the heart of the city was also a huge plus. We were able to venture out by ourselves to local falafel shops (mouth-watering deliciousness at a mere 3 Egyptian pound (EP), compared to Radison Blue's ~220 EP for breakfast for two). We even walked to the Egyptian Museum and the newly opened Islamic Art Museum in Doha (beautiful and highly recommended). It was really interesting to observe the daily lives of local people as we walked off the beaten paths.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

We upgraded from Downtown to the Victoria after 3 sleepless nights in a grotty budget hotel. Overall we were glad to make the change - our room (406) was as quiet as Cairo can offer, with minimal traffic noise. The room was large and well kept though faded glory would be an apt description. The breakfast was excellent though and the staff friendly - the doormen, porters, cleaners and restaurant staff were especially welcoming.

However, at 58 euro per night it is blatantly over-priced. The bathrooms are tiny and sometime you have to ask for the hot water to be turned on. The reception staff are friendly but unhelpful - every time we asked a question, the answer was "no" and nobody ever went that extra mile to help. I echo another comment that it is unlikely the sheets were ever cleaned, simply straigthened and tucked back in.

The only reason I would recommend this place is beause it's in a superb location just down from the Midan Ramses and the rooms are relatively clean, comfortable and most importantly for us, quiet. However, be prepared for your wallet to be cleared!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!