“Well worth a visit” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 144 Attractions in Cairo
Type: Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: This is considered one of Egypt's largest and oldest mosques, which was built between AD 876 and AD 879 by an Abbasid governor sent from Baghdad to rule over Egypt.
Sydney
3 attraction reviews
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We found this mosque, which we were informed by our guide was an 'active' mosque to be very beautiful and imposing in its architecture as well as very tranquil and peaceful. We spent a lot more time here than we thought we would and I was lucky enough to be able to climb the minaret which, I am informed, is the only one in Cairo with an external staircase. Fantastic views over Cairo and well worth the climb (legs of jelly from the climb to Saqqara pyramid the day before).
Enjoy your time in this beautiful place.

Visited August 2012

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Cairo, Egypt
7 attraction reviews
“very nice if u r looking to learn bout islamic history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

have been workin with the company holding the renovation of the mosque. enjoy picturing. arcitecure lovers will love it

England
19 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Mosque”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

A beautiful mosque well worth visiting as an example of arab architecture and also for quiet contemplation.

Visited August 2012
CAIRO
19 attraction reviews
“u must go and see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

one of the most amazing islamic heritage in egypt
it has a charactrestic minerits and a spacious area
if u like photography so u will enjoy this place

Visited June 2012
Houston
11 attraction reviews
“The oldest in Egypt and North Africa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Simple... not the most ornate, but full of history. I've heard you can climb the minaret to view the city, but I didn't have time. You will be asked to wear a green robe and leave your shoes. At the end, the attendant will ask for baksheesh for holding his shoes. My Egyptian local guide advised me not to pay, so I said not. The man protested, but then why should I pay him to hold my shoes? Lol

Visited July 2012