“2 days stay for a conference” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #14 of 130 Hotels in Cairo
Athens, Greece
“2 days stay for a conference”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The hotel is nice from the inside, however, the staff are not friendly at all. we had to stay waiting a long time on the reception until someone was free to talk to us.
The rooms are quiet nice , the bathrooms are clean but unfortunately the Toilet seat in our room was not clean for a 5 stars hotel.

Room Tip: high level rooms are best Nile view is preferred
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Our Valued Guest,

This is just a short note to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience, which unfortunately had some negative points.

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations with regard to some points of your stay, rest assured that your comments were forwarded to the departments concerned for investigation to ensure that this misfortunate incidents will never reoccur, please accept our sincerest apologies.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience caused to you, which I hope will not deter you from using Sofitel Cairo-El Gezirah for your future stays.

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Arabic first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed at the Sofitel El Gezirah for 3 nights at one of their suits 29th floor at the center of the tower and the view was unbelievable day or night..The staff were very friendly, breakfast was good even the lunch buffet was excellent with variety.
The only thing we did not like that the water area around the hotel is not very clean, many Nile plants, and algae with offensive odor, we have mentioned that to the staff and the manager and they claim this is in the hands of the Egyptian government and they have complained many times to the authorities but no response. Specially this area where the restaurants are looking at with tables and food!!! Will definitely go back even though the rates are high.

Room Tip: High floor at the center of the tower facing the fountain and Grand Hyatt. Suite is a must.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_Quality, Manager at Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Bonjour!

First of all thank you for your nice comment! The whole Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah team as well as the hotel management will be looking forward to your next visit.

Allow me to sincerely apologize to your goodself for failing to meet your expectations with regard to the Nile Plants issue, whilst at the same time I thank you for taking the time to bring this issue to our attention. Rest assured that the Hotel Management has revisited the River Nile Official Authorities and that soon these points will be rectified.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity once again to serve you in the very near future.

Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I was passing through Cairo, when I was stuck with an airline strike, decided to have an veining by the Nile.
First I had my shisha and drinks during sunset sitting right at the water, then went to the main lobby to find a band playing chamber classic music it was just great
The place is great but the service is not that good, they are understaffed and slow.

Room Tip: Panorama view to the Nile
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Our Valued Guest,

It was our pleasure having the chance to have you with us. I am extremely sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations for this stay, please accept my sincerest apologist.

It is indeed a concern that you feel the services offered was not up to the expected fine standards; we will of course take this very seriously and rectify any unusual shortfalls that may have occurred during your stay.

Let me seize this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention, as honest opinion and constructive criticism is the only way that would enable us to improve and meet our guests expectations.

Sincerely Yours,

Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah
Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed at the Sofitel Gezirah for our last two nights during a 10 day visit to Egypt. The comfort and services offered by the hotel were genuinely luxuriant and we did not find it wanting in any way. All service staff were extremely competent and friendly. Our check-in and check-out experiences were handled with competence although they were a bit slow considering the heavy traffic at the front-desk.

We enjoyed a short session at the SoSpa and pool which was well cleaned and well-staffed although we were at points a bit confused without having been shown around upon arrival. The steam-room was fully delightful.

Our only complaint regards the staff-member outside who helped us to hail cabs and arrange limousine transport (The hotel entrance is on a private by-road so taxis do not easily happen across guests without prior arrangements). The staff-member on our first encounter explained the different rates to our destination and helped us quickly find a taxi - on our second trip though the same staff-member ignored us entirely for a good 10 minutes while he serviced other guests that arrived after us.

The location is excellent for trips into downtown Cairo and beyond since it retains the silence of the Gezirah island while still being only 10 minutes away from the hubbub.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bonjour!

Allow me to sincerely apologize to your goodself for failing to meet your expectations with regard to the hotel’s valet services, whilst at the same time I thank you for taking the time to bring this issue to our attention.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

me and my Husband spent our anniversary in Sofitel El Gezirah the hotel have the most superb location on the nile the room was nice and Comfortable,We enjoyed the massage session and we loved the pool ,the internet was free in the rooms and anywhere else in the hotel but....the Service was Awful frome the front office Who did not show any care And who was not able to deal with the intensity of guests and the service at the moroccan resturant is awful ... They left us unattended for a long time .. They didn't give any care to the orders and actually provided our orders wrong after a long time they were` unprofessional

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for sharing your thoughts of Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah with others guests’ on the tripadvisor, your feedback will be influential in improving guests’ experience.

After reading your review, we have passed-over your post to the Hotel’s Director of Food & Beverage and our Front Office Manager for improvement in these areas.

Please rest assured that I will personally take care of this issue and use it as an example during counseling and training sessions.

Once again my most sincere apologies.

Sincerely Yours,

Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

A modern business hotel with some of the best Nile views in Cairo. Rooms are new and spacious, bathroom is luxurious. Food and facilities (such as spa, gym and pool) are all first rate. My new favourite hotel in Cairo.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Bonjour!

First of all thank you for your nice comment, the Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah team as well as the hotel management will be looking forward to your next visit.

Cordially,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This review isn’t to praise Sofitel but rather to demean it. I am an extremely unsatisfied guest who had the most humiliating experience in my life at Sofitel Gezirah. This comes to you from someone who has an Area role and travels frequently for business and leisure, to various destinations around the world and has frequented plenty of hotels [from Four Seasons to Burj Khalifa] therefore my feedback comes to you as genuinely as possible with no means to talk negatively about my experience, if it wasn’t true.

My brief yet horrible stay [August31st- September 1st, 2012 began firstly by an encounter by the pool when I asked if it’s possible to bring in my own wine and pay the corkage fee we were informed that we cannot, due to hotel “rules” [this is the first time I hear such feedback, because this is a normal procedure in the country]. However, the F&B Manager came to us and informed us that we can- crisis averted.

Second and immediate issue, was that a friend [not a hotel guest] came and sat with us by the pool for a duration of 20 minutes and was rudely informed by a certain Marie Malaak [SoSpa Receptionist] that she had to pay EGP 400 [$65] for a day use, since she’s sitting by the pool. We politely informed her that our friend wasn’t staying that long and it’s not really worth paying the fee if she’s leaving immediately. We then requested to speak to a higher ranking personnel [knowing that this decision isn’t probably hers and she is simply doing her job] she agreed, disappeared and never returned. As we had given a word, my friend left shortly after this encounter- bothered by the manner and tonality of the receptionist.

The following day, our friend returned and stayed the whole day by the pool gladly paying the fee and enjoyed the day with us. However, upon our checkout I was reviewing our bill [EGP 3,124/ $ 256.98] and found that an extra EGP 400 was included. Having questioning this with an extremely incompetent receptionist [Magda Samir Wanees- Guest Relations] it has come to our conclusion that this was the fee that I had mentioned above. You see, what happened here was that Ms. Malaak came back to a residing guest [another friend whom I was sharing the room with] after I had gone back up to the room and made her sign [she UNFORTUNATELY, signed the bill without knowing why or what was this for]

This means that we actually PAID for something that we didn’t use nor take.

For an hour and a half negotiations with the incompetent receptionist, not once were we consoled, treated with respect nor was this problem considered to be solved internally [something that many hotels do and commonly known as HOSPITALITY] conclusion was we were given two choices; either pay or we will be taken to the Tourism Police. A threat, not once have I heard in my life from a) a hotel b) an entity c) a human being.

This is not about the money or refusing to pay the money it is the purely the concept. What happened in this case was fraudulent and extremely unacceptable. The hotel treated us like low lives who were trying to escape from paying a fee at a hotel or maybe even worse. I have never been treated with such humiliation before.

This type of hotel service at a day in age where Social Media is the guide for the common citizen and as someone who has 1K friends on Facebook and 500+ followers on Twitter, I refrained myself from giving this hotel the worst review it has ever seen. However, I will not be stopping myself if I do not get a response from a senior management with a sincere apology to this level of humiliation.

May I also add, that I stayed at Sofitel Old Cataract in March for a private wedding celebration and had the BEST service in the world and in return, they received splendid reviews from me and some 30+ satisfied guests.

The reason I have suddenly decided to post this on TRIP ADVISOR is that there are NO PERSONAL contact emails to ANYONE in SOFITEL OR ACCOR to complain! Which goes to show that this hote is of the worst I have ever been to and will not be recommending it neither to my friends nor business partners!!!

OH! And I ordered egg benedict for breakfast it came with the egg shells on it!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Bonjour Our Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Cairo- El Gezirah. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations with regard to your recent stay, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I have been notified that your goodself was contacted by the Hotel’s Management and that matter was resolved.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback was very important to us. Please rest assured that we took the appropriate measures and addressed the problem to prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Iman El Gabaly
Quality Manager

Been to Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah? Share your experiences!