“A home like hotel but no guests are allowed to your room” 3 of 5 stars

Windsor Hotel Cairo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Alfi Bey Street, Cairo, Egypt   |
Ranked #21 of 130 Hotels in Cairo
ISRAEL
“A home like hotel but no guests are allowed to your room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

I liked a lot the fact that this historic hotel is not like any other.Sitting in the loby is very friendly and nice as sitting in your own living room. The rooms are big but very old and should be renovetated a bit.
The guy who runs the old historic lift wants to be tiped every time......
I had an Egyptian friend coming to visit me and he was not allowed to my room.I think it's realy crazy ....If I invited someone I know and trust (a good friend) why do they don't let him to my room? I guess 'it's a matter of tipping,'but I realy unwilling paying for nothing .
over all it's nice and one can wanl easyly to Han-El Halili market .
Breakfast is small , and for the price I thnk we can get a better one.
Dinner is good but very expensive. As I said before it is very nice sitting there and you might even meet interesting people too.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

I stayed at the Windsor hotel for 6 days and found the staff very friendly and full of good advice. They also have good, trustworthy travel services. We hired a bus through the Windsor and found the driver to be humorous and knew all the good places to visit and eat!

The rooms were large with high ceilings. I found the decor to have much more character than the standard hotels you get nowadays. The bar is enchanting and food very high quality.

The location is right in the thick of things yet hidden away, so you have the best of both worlds.

Overall the Windsor offers great prices, very affordable and good quality service.

Thanks to all at the Windsor you made our holiday great!

• Stayed September 2009
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

On my visit to Cairo i was determined to 'experience' the craziness of the real Cairo as opposed to just seeing the tourist sights and ferried too and from a hotel complex. I also was on a tight budget, and wanted somewhere fairly cheap.. So i looked around for a few nights at one of the hotels inside the center of town and settled on the Windsor Hotel. This place had an old world charm about it, everything from the high ceilinged rooms, to art deco airline posters on the walls, and the staff inside... after trekking through the streets of Cairo on hot June days, it was to use the cliche, like an oasis to return to. For someone wanting to experience the real Cairo and do so on a budget i would highly recommend the Windsor Hotel... Erian, one of the hotels on duty managers, was extremely helpful to me at a point of difficulty during my visit (my bank temporarily stopped my cards for suspected fraudulent copying while i was in Egypt, leaving me with no money!), and was able to work with me to find a solution to my challenge at the time.... a real plus in a city that's not always the easiest to discern who is swindling you and who is honest... the Windsor hotel fits the honest category in my book... happy traveling.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

The Windsor is a wonderful hotel. Well located in downtown Cairo on a little street near loads of shopping, it is also close to the metro for further destinations. The rooms are comfortable and beautifully appointed, reflecting the hotel's royal and colonial past. Rates are fair and the staff is doting and kind.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

I stayed at the Windsor in July 2009. By prior arrangement I was picked up from the airport and taken to the hotel.
The hotel is gorgeous and has all the original decor dating back to the turn of the century.
Located in the heard of downtown Cairo, it is in walking distance to the main shopping areas and most Cairo attractions.
I could not fault the service and all the staff were helpful and friendly.
If you like a hotel that makes you feel at home rather than just a guest, this is the place for you. Room rates are very cheap.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I spent three nights there. Room was spacious (20 sqm and 4m high) but a little dark. Part of the room was divided for toilet and shower. It was some kind of booth in a corner. BUT the bathroom was PERFECTLY CLEAN! Hotel stuff is very nice and competent. But the best thing was the hotel bar/restaurant. Surprisingly good cuisine (Egyptian and international), very nice club style bar with free Wi-Fi and reasonable prices make this place great to spent couple hours relaxing. Hotel is located in he very small street what makes a extraordinary thing in Cairo - SILENCE in the night :-)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

We stayed in the Windsor whilst moving from Sharm el Sheikh. As most of the reviews note, the staff at this hotel are fantastic. They are helpful and friendly, and of all the hotels listed as 'pet friendly' in Cairo; this is the only one that actually is. As we were moving house we had numerous bags and also a cat traveling with us. We were placed in an isolated room at the top of the hotel to keep from disturbing other guests and received help on numerous occasions regarding locations of far flung and little heard of government agencies.
The hotel itself is very nice to look at, with the old elevators and telephones and the very comfortable dining area. The rooms are a bit on the dingy side, and the air conditioners seem to have minds of their own (as well as their own opinions regarding temperature settings). Overall, our stay here was as nice as it could have been considering our circumstances.
Despite the high prices and moderately dirty rooms, I'd stay here again if only for the staff.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Windsor Hotel Cairo? Share your experiences!