“A real taste of the of the past, not manufactured” 4 of 5 stars

Windsor Hotel Cairo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Alfi Bey Street, Cairo, Egypt   |
Ranked #23 of 131 hotels in Cairo
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“A real taste of the of the past, not manufactured”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel was built circa 1892, staying at the Windsor hotel is an experience of the real colonial past, if your looking for new plush surroundings this wont be for you. Not sure when the last make over was but I think they shouldn't change a thing its the real "macoy", I loved the old telephone system which must date back to the 1930's and is still in use, amazing. The old attendant lift was straight from a Ealing movie (old British films of the1920's ) the barrel bar was typical of a traditional colonial establishment, the only thing I didn't like was the smoking allowed.

This hotel wont be for every one as its doesn't have many modern comforts, but I loved it.

I would stay again if I visit Cairo, which will never happen...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

422 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Windsor Hotel is truly run by a caring staff. Everyone at the front desk wants to make sure you have a good stay in Cairo. The restaurant/lounge bar has a "cool" vibe about it in this very old hotel. Plus the food was delicious (lots of vegetarian options) & the bar makes a great mojito. My only problem was the bed; it will probably take a few more days for my back to recover. If this is the price range you are looking for in downtown area, then you'd probably enjoy the Windsor. For me, I found I need my creature comforts in Cairo, so would prefer Zamalek & pay the price again for the Hilton.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

It was a good experience for me to spend my trip to down town in cairo with the crew of Windsor Cairo , it is like an antique coming from the history of the city and the service was excellent .
When am coming to cairo , am always find my wnderful location in Windsor hotel , it is near of all places i like to walk and see in down town , i find also the peacful time to read and write my works .
During nights going to the bar area and enjoing my time with the old furniture and the warm atmosphere .

Room Tip: My room is 14 it is quite
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at the Windsor for 4 days in March of 2013 at a time of supposed unrest in Egypt. I must say that my stay at this historic jewel will define my trip to Egypt as an exotic experience. I could feel the history of the place as I walked its old halls knowing it had once been used by the British officers in war time and countless tourists visiting the greatest sites of antiquity.
Only toward the end of my stay did I realize that the entire staff had been employed at the hotel since just before the beginning of time! One Gentleman started at the hotel when he was 13 and was there 20 years later. The service was stellar - there was no hint that the Windsor was not five star. The water was hot, the linens clean, the breakfast was delicious. Philip at the front desk booked me a great cruise. Samir did a great job as well. You would be shorting yourself not to stay at this hotel. It is old elegant Cairo to the core. I will never forget it.

Room Tip: I upgraded my room the second stay there and it was worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Redruth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

unfortunately only had one night there ,but if in Cairo again will definitely stay there . the location is just around the corner from the metro , a vibrant area excellent for shopping ,helpful staff , a definate olde world charm with lots of wood . we had a room 4 floors up with balcony , TV was oldie worldy as well so did not work very well . The en-suit bathroom had been renovated and everything worked and sparkled , 9 out of ten for the shower . The bar was very friendly and did not spend enough time there ... i will be back :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Gateshead, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I think this hotel is brilliant, Just what I wanted. Great atmosphere of the hotels' charms. Staff are very friendly, the manager took time out to see us, and have a general chat, asking how things are. I have no complaints at all about this hotel, what I would say is when I go back to egypt, if I stay in Cairo I will be heading back to this hotel. Karl pilkington did not do this hotel any justice at all, One particular member of staff who had been there for 12 years, showed obvious pride in the hotel, took us to see the roof top garden, and made sure we had a good stay.

Room Tip: Ask the staff if you have any questions about transfers or excursions
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Very charming hotel, there's no other word. Nothing here works fully well, the hot water takes 10 minutes to run, the muezzin shouts in your ears every morning at 5 am... but I loved it ! If you are looking for a convenient, comfortable modern hotel, just forget about it. But if you want to experience a time machine back into the 30's, please stay. The furnitures are lovely, the lift and the bar are unbelievable, and most of all (and this is quite rare in Cairo), people are so helpful and honest. No bad surprise either with the guide they recommanded us, in fact Mina was the best we've had in Egypt, in terms of knowledge about also attitude. Thanks to the staff of the Windsor hotel, we left Egypt with the feeling we had experienced something different, a privilege. For a few nights, the stay is worth the money, but make sure you can choose your room because the quality is quite different depending on which one they give you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Windsor Hotel Cairo? Share your experiences!