“Nice view, charming old oriental decoration, good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shepheard Hotel

You added Shepheard Hotel to your Saves list
Shepheard Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Corniche El Nil | Garden City, Cairo 11461, Egypt   |
Ranked #78 of 133 Hotels in Cairo
Athens, Greece
“Nice view, charming old oriental decoration, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

The best of this hotel is the old but not dirty charming oriental atmoshere-really amazing.
The location is very good, 5 minute walk to Egyptian musem and Tahrir, next to Nile river. Of course if u want to visit other sightseeings, taxis are the only option. Rooms with view to Nile, good and safe neighbourhood.
Good service, poor quality of beds, not so clean rooms.
They let me to extend my stay without any cost until 17:00 o.clock. In the mini bar an open tuna fish was, but they clean it after 2 calls. Relaxing easy going service but u r in Egypt, it;s a part of your journey.
The breakfast was much more than average.
The price was good compared to other hotels in Cairo (Cairo hotels are much more exensive than those e.g in other cities and Sharm el-Sheikh)
I sure recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We visit Cairo often and always stay at Shepheards if possible. The hotel has large rooms with fantastic views of the Nile from the balcony. Recently the hotel has been nowhere near full, so a high floor with a balcony is easy to get. In any case, the tariff is quite reasonable. It is great sitting on the balcony as the sun sets over the Nile watching the city and the Nile lights. The breakfast is great with pleanty of variety although the evening menu is pretty limited. There are no good restaurants nearby (other than the other close hotels) so a 15 minute walk is required. We have always found that it is safe to walk the streets at night - even through Tahrir Square to the restaurants on the other side.
The big plus of the hotel is the proximity to the Museum as well as a number of other sites within walking distance.
The hotel is now in need of some TLC even after the recent renovations on the upper floors. The staff are very friendly and helpful although English is not widely spoken.

Room Tip: Ask for a Nile River view on one of the upper floors.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I really liked this hotel for it's grand style and location. The rooms are big and the Nile view is wonderful (pay extra and get the view). Bathrooms are large and nice. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a bank here and that is handy. The breakfast is very nice. I would stay here again as the location is so good:museum, Tabula cafe, Khan al Kalli souq, bridge to Zamalek, the Bird Cage restaurant at the Semiramis is a wonderful Thai restaurant. Drinks on the roof are nice after a long day of sightseeing.

Room Tip: upper floor with Nile view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

The hotel is a bit "tired," some of the carpeting needs repair, the sheets are not 600 thread count Egyptian cotton, but all in all a comfortable place. My room was average in furnishings but comfortably large and had a balcony overlooking the Nile which was very nice. The TV is old but works. The bathroom was modern and quite nice, with good water pressure in the shower and nice towels. I was there seven nights during the recent "troubles." The hotel is only a few blocks from Tahrir Square. One night I was awakened at 4:00 AM as protestors marched past my balcony along the Nile. When I had to go to the EgyptAir office on the other side of Tahrir Square, the hotel volunteered to take me by car at no cost so what would have been maybe a 10 minute walk was a 10 minute car ride to avoid having to pass Tahrir Square. The breakfasts were more than adequate with a selection of vegetables, fruits, cheese, meats, waffles, pancakes, sausages, other hot stuff I didn't bother with, an omelette chef, eggs, breads, pastries, juice, coffee and tea. Breakfast hours were frm 6:00 AM to 10:00 AM so you could grab a decent breakfast even if you had to catch an early flight. The staff could not be more accommodating, from an extension cord in the room so I could have more outlets for my computer and electronics, to holding my bags while I was in other cities. There is an ATM in the lobby, along with a 24 hour bank for converting currency at the last minute. There is free wifi in the public areas which you can often catch in your room and you would often see people with their notebooks at breakfast. I feel it was very good value for the money.

Room Tip: There are both smoking and non smoking rooms. BE SURE TO SPECIFY A NON-SMOKING ROOM (if that is your...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Our party of five (four adults and one chlid) stayed in the Shepheard Hotel during a three-week journey through the Middle East: U.A.E., Egypt, Jordan and Turkey. We had paid a bit extra, in the booking, for a guarantee of Nile view rooms on an upper floor. Yes, the hotel is a bit "tired" looking, but having watching the sun come up and go down on the Nile River is more than sufficient compensation for any small annoyances. We knew ahead of time that the hotel is old and perhaps in need of some renovation, but it does retain the gracefulness of an earlier period in the architecture of its interior (intricate moldings, high ceilings, vast public spaces, etc.) and you can imagine what it must have been in its prime. It's not "run down", just a bit "tired".

The staff, however, are gracious and entirely helpful. Occupancy rates in Egypt are at an alltime low right now and I could see that there were just a handful of guests staying in the hotel while we were there. Yet, the hotel maintained a full breakfast buffet and all of its restaurants were open. I can't imagine the expense of doing this when occupancy is so low. I cannot agree with other reviewers that the breakfast buffet has limited items. We stayed at a total of eight hotels during our travels (5 five-star properties and 3 four-star). The buffet at the Shepheard might not match those at the five-star properties in Dubai, but it was more than adequate and the foul and egg stations, in particular, were excellent. We had none of the issues mentioned by other reviewers, as the beds, linens, room temperatures, etc. were just fine.

Unless you are a total bore, you cannot escape the feeling of living a part of history when you stay at the Shepheard. We were treated with graciousness and hospitality by all the staff, we were stunned by the view of the Nile River, we shared some excitement of the Egyptian revolution by being just blocks from Tahrir Square, and we will definitely stay there again. It is a piece of Egypt's history and it still retains a sense of what was and a gracefulness you cannot find in newer properties.

Room Tip: It is totally worth it to pay a bit extra for a Nile-view room on an upper floor. (We were on the 8...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

I am an Egyptology and history buff and was dying to stay in the famed historic Shepheard Hotel. From its website, I learned the original burned but that it was rebuilt in classic style. Well, there is NOTHING at all in this hotel that is reminiscent of the older hotel. The exterior looks like a bank building; the interior is cold and poorly designed; although the location is good for downtown Cairo. The mattress is HARD, the rooms feel cold, the linens are poor quality (twice in may stay the bed linens were very old and had the "pills" and scratched my body at night), no robe in the room, the mini fridge was not working, etc! The front desk staff were very nice, but the room service staff are not very personable. The morning buffet breakfast is NOT good (limited items, does not look clean on the buffet, scrambled eggs were nasty). If you ask for help in getting a taxi, you are referred to the "travel company" guy sitting at a desk in the lobby - you should NOT have to do this to get a taxi!!!!! I would not stay there ever again - I actually booked for 19 nights, but left the hotel after 8 nights and checked into a much better hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bon Accord, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I was in Cairo when I had my purse stolen.. all my money.. credit cards..bank cards..passport..ect. as this can happen anywhere in the world.. It was my luck to have it happen to me. I was alone and I was in Garden City,Cairo..walking around trying to figure out what to do? It was getting dark and I came across the Shepheard Hotel.. so I decided to go inside.. I had some egyptian pounds on me..but..no I.D.. I was at my wits end! As I approached the desk in the main lobby area a very nice man came up to me and asked me if I needed any help? I explained to him my circumstances as I was on the verge of tears.. and I could not believe the service I received! He spoke english very well as I could not understand the language there. His name is KEROLOS who works in reception. I asked him about a room.. and because I didnot understand the egyptian pound he helped me count out what money I had on me.. I asked if I could get a cigerette and he went to ask another gentleman who works there whose name is Hitham.. and Hithim gave him a cigerette to give to me.KEROLOS also let me use his cell phone and didnot seemed concerned with the number of calls I had to make. KEROLOS treated me with the utmost respect and I felt a sense that he really cared. Needless to say.. I will never forget this man whose kindess went above and beyond the call of duty. .

Room Tip: I stayed on the 8th floor. it was very quiet..nice view of Cairo.. air conditioning..private bar inc...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Shepheard Hotel? Share your experiences!