“Good not Great” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 stars 338 Reviews
NE Ohio
“Good not Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

We stayed at this hotel because it was near the airport the last day before we left. It is located off of a busy street and can take awhile to get to/from. The room itself is in need of updating and left a little to be desired. The food and drink were quite good and reasonably priced. This hotel seemed full and not lacking in patrons like others we stayed in. All the restaurants were open and the three we tried were quite good. The pool is small and loses sun by 3:00 in the afternoon which was disappointing. It does have a yummy bakery located in the lobby and has free Wi-Fi. This hotel was adequate for our needs but the rooms are definitely in need of some updating.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
badramani, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Dear Bull1815

First let me thank you for taking the time to write this review, we do appreciate both positive and negative comments , we will work hard in upgrading our rooms in order to satisfy our guest's need

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 2 days as it was close enough to my friend's house.
The rooms are clean and comfy. But you can tell its a bit old with its furniture. it needs a little bit of upgrading.
The Hotel Staff were friendly, Especially a guy from the reception who did my booking.
The food is Ok nothing really special.
It has a very good Beauty Salon. A must try.
Would def. stay in again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Dear Suzi Nasr

First let me thank you for your comments, we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you soon at our hotel
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 4 days, then missed our flight home and returned for an additional night. Front desk staff welcomed us back warmly ("We missed you!") and gave us each a free room upgrade--very unexpected and generous. I thought the breakfast buffet was excellent; coffee nice and strong. I used the gym as well as the steam room; very good facilities. All in all, a comfortable and welcoming hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
badramani, Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice review , we are happy you enjoyed your short stay with us , it was our pleasure to have you as a guest and looking forward to welcoming you again soon

Regards
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

My group, of 8, stayed here for our last night in Egypt before heading home. We had just finished our Nile River cruise, and stayed here for ~6 hours before catching our plane to head home.

The lobby of the hotel is so chic; there is a large dessert shop in the main foyer. The hotel is very classy and I was extremely impressed how spacious everything is. The rooms are, oddly enough, very 'French'. I didn't even feel like I was in Egypt, with the exception that the rooms are very large and I know they aren't that way in Europe! The bathroom has a kit (shampoo/conditioner) supplied, and is a very spacious room. There is a mini-bar, but no free water bottles.

Quite honestly, the beds weren't extremely comfortable, but we were so exhausted that we really didn't care and utilized them for a 4 hour nap! There is a large desk in the room, and pretty decent closet space. The furnishings are a bit dated, but no complaints! The location is very convenient to the airport, which was nice. The hotel supplied breakfast boxes for our 1am transport to the airport, which was considerate. We did eat at the restaurant and all found the food to be very good!

Even though we didn't spend an extended amount of time at this hotel, I was still very impressed with the decor and would be fine staying here again in the future.

• Stayed January 2011
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I have warm memories of previous holiday stays at the lovely Sonesta over the years, but in those days it WAS warm -the heat worked. Cairo gets cold in December and January - ok not Moscow cold, but cold enough to warrant some source of warmth from an HVAC system. When I complained a very officious young clerk answered with "NONE of our rooms have heat!!!", proclaiming this almost proudly, as if I was insane to have expecxted it! When I objected to this lunacy, another young clerk not involved in my conversation turned and butted in to tell me in a very sharp tone to "calm down!" I told him that I was old enough to be his father and I resented his impudence.. Kudos to the seasoned Senior Concierge I remembered from other visits who apologetically offered to send a portable heater, which of course didn't really work. (There ARE winter destinations where heat isnt necessary but Cairo isn't one of them.) Of course the central AC control in the room indicated that the system originally provided heat.!!! Pitiful!

Frosty sleeping aside, the room's furniture was worn and carpets were dirty. Blankets provided were dirty. It rather tells you something when the tissue dispenser in the bathroom remained unfilled each day. TV is limited to Arabic , CNN and a couple of free English chanels with lots of olld US re-runs. The housekeepers were excellent, friendly, and cheerful, and the room was clean. Skimpy (non-alcoholic) offerings in the minibar.

The coffee shop had mostly rude service. Two waitrers stood mesmorized by the podium cash register computer and stared blankly at us when we came in to eat one morning, saying "no!" to our request for breakfast. (The buffet was still in place and it was 5 minutes after 10.) It it took demanding to see their manager before menus were offered. The food was adequate.(Younger waitiers, bless them, were very eager to help, but had very limited English skills.) Fauchon in the lobby had ver-y nice pastries and ver-y slow service. The lovely grounds are still well-maintained. One thing is obvious, the English language skills of newer staff members are much lower than in the past. I suspect that the rise in Cairo's new 5 star properties has desimated older hotel's seasoned staff ranks.

If you are in any way physically challenged, the lobby is treacherous with lots of slick marble stairs. To even get to the elevators you must go up a set of marble steps from the lobby entrance level. WiFi is $10 a day and the Business Center is a joke.

If the temperature is over 75 degrees F and you can put up with snotty self-important desk clerks and you can get a good rate, go for it. The gardens are nice in springtime. But otherwise save your Sonesta stays for Boston or New Orleans. Cairo has better. This new GM who posted comments definitely has his work cut out for him.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
sonestacairo, General Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the negative experiences you had during your stay.

Your experience is certainly not indicative for the quality of service we are known for and try to maintain as we certainly would not be in business too long if all of our guests have the same treatment and experiences! It is comments such as yours that I am greatful for so that we can address many of your issues.

I wish to comment on several of the items you mentioned, not to justify, nor dismiss your other comments as negative service related issues are certainly inexcusable and we will be most certainly addressing each and every one.

Recognizing the need to stay competitive, in the beginning of 2010, a brand new tower opened with 200 modern luxury guestrooms, 32” LCD TVs, Marble bathrooms, etc. Unfortunately the room you stayed in is scheduled for renovation very soon and I am sorry that is where you were placed.

Every guest room of this hotel has heat and proper air-conditioning and I am sorry you were given wrong information and action was not taken immediately to satisfy your request

Out entire lobby is marble as in most fine hotels. There is a marble ramp available in the lobby and a member of our staff could have directed you to this area.

On January 20th, both of our computers in our Business Centre will be upgraded to the latest equipment. Again, we appreciate the feedback and had recognized our shortcomings a few weeks ago and took action.

Thank you again for your feedback as we begin to address all of your concerns.
Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Would expect basic amenities to be provided in the room. There is no complementary coffee/tea facilities, no hand towels, no shower cap,no disposable toothbrush,shower head is small however rooms are quite big , clean and comfortable. Breakfast is ok with quite good choice provided. Front desk and concierge services are pretty good.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
sonestacairo, General Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Thank you staying with us on your recent visit to Cairo. We certainly apologize for our shortcomings during your visit of no hand towels and shower cap in our guest room. This was an oversight and we are sorry that this was your experience as it certainly not indicative of the fine quality of service we are known for and try to maintain.

Complimentary tea & coffee and a toothbrush are available always by calling our Housekeeping department.

I thank you for your kind words on the sizes of our rooms, our breakfast buffet and of course our service employees at the front desk and Concierge. It is certainly appreciated.

I thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Cairo.
izmir
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

connection between FO and HK was problematic but anyway staff is kind and professional. we really enjoyed our stay in sonesta!

Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
sonestacairo, General Manager at Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo, responded to this review, December 27, 2010
Thank you for your recent stay at the Sonesta Cairo Hotel, Tower, & Casino. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I was however sorry to hear that you felt the communication between our teams at the front desk and housekeeping was not up to par and I would certainly be interested in hearing what happened so that we can work at preventing a similar incident from occurring again in the future.

Should your travels return you to Cairo, please contact me directly so that I may personally handle your reservation.

Steven Kalczynski
Managing Director

Been to Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino Cairo? Share your experiences!