Stayed here in nov 2008. I submitted a review (maybe I accidentally deleted it)but it was not posted.
The Concorde El Salam is located in Heliopolis, a supposedly affluent suburb of Cairo. The area nearby the hotel was rather dirty, unpleasant and quite busy. However, the hotel property has all the luxuries (ie pool, spa and fitness area) one would expect from a resort styled hotel. The common areas of the hotel are well appointed with nice reception area, quaint coffee bar and sitting area opposite reception and pleasant on site restaurants. The back grounds of the property are nicely appointed with large clean resort styled pool, deck with several loungers as well as large open lawn area for taking a stroll. The rooms too are fairly nice and reasonably large but could do with a thorough cleaning.
On the downside there are plenty of issues with the Concorde. The distance to the city and sites are very far . Eventhough they offer a free shuttle into the city by the museum, the transit time depending on traffic ( Cairo is always crazy busy) can be in excess of 1 hour and that is only to the city. To get to Giza, bazaar Khan el Khalili, Saqqara and other areas will require you to hire a taxi or find other means of transport. To get back to the hotel is your own responsibility.
Another issue I had with Concorde is the hidden pricing system they seem to embrace. Hotel staff are more than eager to help but at a price. I don't mind tipping and I understand that many Egyptians live on low wages but being followed around the fitness area by an employee expecting a tip for nothing or having to tip staff for walking me to a new room because the hotel made a mistake with my reservation is ridiculous.
The second day here we ate in the restaurant serving continental and hot buffet. When I inquired about the price the waitress informed us that continental charge was $10 and the combination of continental and hot $20. We chose the continental and the waitress proceeded to show us which tables we could choose from. We went up grabbed coffee, pastries and fruit . Shortly after our waitress came back to the table to regretfully inform us that the fruit is part of the hot buffett and we would be charged $20 rather then $10. On another occasion we went to concierge services for directions. The employee was pleasant and helpful but after helping she informed us that there was a fee for her service. I don't mind paying for service but please let me know up front.
Other problems that I experienced:
1) Water temp fluctuations made showering unpleasant
2) Wall safe scewed into drywall not wallstud or concrete floor. I was able to remove safe from wall with moderate pulling force
Other positives about this hotel
1)Close to airport
2)will hold luggage free of charge while visiting other cities
3)The coffe bar reasonably priced and great drinks
To sum things up the Concorde is a pleasant place if you don't mind being far from attractions. For overnight stay close to airport the location is great. However I would recommend staying on Zamalek, an upscale and pleasant surburb/island very close to downtown Cairo.
Happy travels Egypt is a wonderful place
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the fashionable suburb of Heliopolis , 10 minutes from Cairo International airport , 10 minutes from the Cairo International Conference center and 25 minutes from the city center with courtesy hotel shuttle.Georgian Style hotel of architecture boasting all leisure facilities including tennis courts, glazed squash courts , equestrian club & business center . 320 spacious rooms with 18 suites and 14 individual pool side rooms , Executive floor including business advantage rooms, Executive lounge and butler service. All rooms & public areas have broadband internet access with free WI FI technolgy,IP telephone with voice mail, data port. All rooms with 32-Inch LCD TV. 11 fully equipped meeting rooms accommodating up to 500 people. All rooms feature the latest audiovisual equipment, fax and computer facilities. Fitness & Health Club fully equipped with cardio vascular equipment for total body workouts. The Spa" Sauna, Jacuzzi , hammam and professional massage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, EasyToBook, HotelTravel.com and Odigeo so you can book your Concorde El Salam Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Concorde El Salam Cairo