“Beware of taxicabs” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Concorde El Salam Hotel

You added Concorde El Salam Hotel to your Saves list
Concorde El Salam Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   65 Abd El Hamid Badawi st, Heliopolis, Cairo 5614, Egypt   |
Ranked #30 of 130 Hotels in Cairo
Montreal
“Beware of taxicabs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed in the Concorde and the hotel was wonderful. But I had a terrible experience with the taxicabs that are allowed by hotel management to pick up guests. I wanted to see the Pyramids. I asked the concierge for a taxicab and I told him to drive me to the Pyramids. Instead the driver took me to a crime-mafia infested village beside the Pyramids and delivered me to his mafia boss. It was a scary experience to see the cab intercepted a number of times at the entrance to the village by thugs. The driver utters the name of the mafia boss and the thugs let us proceed. I found myself with my wife in a very precarious situation. I was asked for 1000 pounds for a carriage tour of the Pyramids that I didn't really want. I didn't know if I could have refused or what would have been the consequences if I did. In this village you feel in real danger. There was no sign of the police or authorities. I played it safe by bargaining the boss down to 800 pounds, but I couldn't understand how can the hotel allow a taxicab connected to such schemes pick up hotel guests? Only taxicabs registered with the hotel are allowed to pick up guests. The carriage was extremely uncomfortable and was driven against the traffic in the major Pyramids road, which was the only way to exit the village to the real Pyramids. If you want to see the pyramids be aware of this taxicab scheme. Tell the concierge that you don't want to be driven to Nazlet El Samman, where the mafia resides. Taxi driver name was Mahmoud Al Samman. He bragged that the village was his birthplace.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sakina A, Guest Relations Manager at Concorde El Salam Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo following your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to learn about the bad experience accrued during your trip to the Pyramids, I ensure you that the hotel was not aware about the suspicious behavior of that taxi driver, otherwise we will never deal with him or allow him to put the hotel guests in such scary situations.

Reference to your compliant, the case was handed to the Tourism police and the hotel's security manager for investigation, and that driver was strictly prevented from entering the hotel at all. So we do kindly ask you if you could contact us directly on the hotel's email address to give us some information that could help on the investigation process.

Once again, please receive my heartfelt apology and I look forward to hear from you soon.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stayed with my family a wonderful stay at this hotel . I will bring my family again . the staff made us feel home . room service staff was very helpful smiley faces everywhere I enjoyed the indian food very much they have an indian chef . mostafa and nada from the reception was very helpful . shisha at testa rossa was amazing . excellent breakfast buffet .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Sakina A, Guest Relations Manager at Concorde El Salam Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and for staying at Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo during your recent visit to Cairo.

It is very rewarding to know that we have succeeded in making your stay a memorable one and that you were pleased with the level of service offered by our staff, your comments have been communicated to both of Nada and Mostafa.

So, on behalf of our entire staff here we would like to thank you and we hope to see you again whenever your travels bring you back to Egypt.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed three nights in the hotel and it was a fair experience. I got a good price from Expedia but after the taxes and all additions it amounted to around 100 USD a night, which is much near price for a much better room at Fairmont Heliopolis. The hotel is renovated so the room and the bathroom are fine but old style so you can clearly see that in the accessories and the old phone in the bath. The room was clean with a king size bed. Room service was fine however, they offered one small water bottle for two guests!!! In the third night, no water bottles at all, not even the small one that we usually get. The hotel has good facilities to offer and I would advise using the café (Test Rosa), good environment and good service.
A major issue in this hotel is its staff attitude. Being an Egyptian, I somehow understand that they treat tourists in a better way or different standards, which is completely unacceptable. I booked, as any international tourist, through Expedia and paid the same price. At the Check in, the hotel receptionist (Mohamed) asked me for the marriage certificate, even though I submitted an international (Not Egyptian) passport. I gave him the marriage certificate and he disappeared in a back room for two minutes then came back, took a copy, then returned it to me. He gave me the room key and asked if I am paying cash or credit, I said credit and gave him my CC. He informed me that he would take an authorization for 600 USD, which is double the accommodation price. I requested a clarification on why would he take an authorization for that amount ad he said that these are the “rules” if I want to order any additional food or beverages in the hotel. I responded by explaining that this is not the regular process and you just get an authorization of the card and when I check out, you settle the overall balance. I would not accept holding that amount, as my bank would freeze it for a month. His manager, Mr Hany, argued otherwise stating that he is working for 30 years and he knows better, what an attitude!!!!!! At the end, I also requested a clarification for requesting the marriage certificate and whether they do this with all tourists and the response was, of course NO it’s just because I am EGYPTIAN. I responded by saying but how you know that, I gave you an international passport… they responded, cynically, from your accent!!!!
ATTITUDE is a big issue here, especially if you are Egyptian… Different treatment is all around from the security and research of your car, no parking spaces reserved for residents and you have to beg the parking person to get a space for your car at the far end by the Ethiopian airlines office, searching you at the hotel entrance and the Reception staff treatment. This was second, and certainly last, time to stay in this hotel. If you are an Egyptian BEWARE!!!! If you are a torist, there are few better ones at the same price and I personally recommend Fairmont Heliopolis. The only good initiative came from the guest relations manager, at checkout when she tried to speak to me to understand what was the issues with my accommodation, too late lady….I also would like to add that this attitude has been reported before, read previous reviews, and the hotel responded (Ms. Sakina) with no change whatsoever. NO HOPE in this hotel and its reception staff….

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

It is through your positive and constructive feedback that we are able to constantly strive to improve our products and facilities.

I am sorry to learn about the shortfalls accrued during your stay, and I am sorry about the attitude of some of the hotel staff, but please rest assured that your comment had been taken seriously in consideration by the hotel’s Management.

Once again, please receive my heartfelt thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Perivale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Overall helpful and friendly and efficient staff. Made our stay even more enjoyable. Used the spa for a massage very reasonable in price. Good pool, heated slightly as the weather was cooler. Breakfast excellent some other meals not so good. Very family friendly.

• Stayed November 2013
Sakina A, Guest Relations Manager at Concorde El Salam Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for the above kind words.
We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay at Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo and would like to thank you for your comments about the hotel's team and facilities.
It will be our utmost pleasure to welcome you soon again at Concorde El Salam hotel Cairo.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have spent 12 days here as a hotel guest and using the conference facilities. The hotel organisation, comfort and friendly staff have made it a great trip. I would recommend this hotel for conferences and leisure trips. I also saw numerous weddings here - the hotel did a fantastic job! Thank you and I look forward to coming back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Sakina A, Guest Relations Manager at Concorde El Salam Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Valued guest,

On behalf of Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo, I would like to thank you for the above kind words.
Glad to know that our conference facilities and level of service were up to your expectations.

Once again, please receive my heartfelt thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back to Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo in the near future.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is great for a transit as its located a few minutes away from the airport. The rooms were clean and tidy and the rooms near the swimming pool offers an excellent view. The Buffet breakfast is excellent.
The drawbacks were...
- There is no privacy around the pool area, it's very open and people in the restaurants can see people in the swimming pool.
- If you are going to wear an Islamic swimming custom, you are in the wrong place because you are not allowed there, you can't cover your arms or legs. Islamic swimming custom is accepted all over the world, Europe, America but not in Egypt.... Very funny.
- In the pool area the staff generally nice except the pool manager, a woman called Shimaa, she were very rude and showed a bad attitude and manner towards me, I complained about her and the front desk manager apologise to me but I got no apology from her and she was still rude to me for the second time.

Unfortunately, that spoiled my stay in the hotel and left a very bad taste about the place, which made me decide that I will not stay again in this hotel.

I think they need to get rid of all bad manner staff.

• Stayed November 2013
Sakina A, Guest Relations Manager at Concorde El Salam Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for posting your valuable review.
We are happy you liked the Hotel location, the room cleanliness & view of Concorde El Salam Hotel Cairo.

I am sorry to learn about the shortfalls accrued during your stay especially with one of the hotel's staff approach, but please rest assured that your comment had been taken seriously in consideration by the hotel’s Management.

Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed there just a few days for business but our stay has been very delightful.
Everything was great!!!! Very comfortable and very clean, rooms are nice - all the stuff is excellent and very helpful!!!! Food is very good what to say Super :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. We are glad that you’ve enjoyed your stay at
Concorde EL Salam Hotel Cairo, and that our rooms, staff and food were up to your expectations.

It is very rewarding and motivating to know that we have consistently managed to meet your satisfaction.

On behalf of the whole team at Concorde EL Salam Hotel Cairo, I look forward to welcoming you the next time you are in Egypt.

Guest Services Manager

Been to Concorde El Salam Hotel? Share your experiences!