“BELOW AVERAGE 4 STAR HOTEL” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Cairo Airport

You added Novotel Cairo Airport to your Saves list
Novotel Cairo Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 8 Cairo Airport | Heliopolis, Cairo 11776, Egypt   |
Ranked #64 of 133 Hotels in Cairo
Arusha, Tanzania
“BELOW AVERAGE 4 STAR HOTEL”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The reception desk is slow and the food in particular lunch and super is the most boring.Though I enjoyed the breakfast. A long corridor which is filthy and smelling of smoke along the rooms make any one walking a stressful day. The furniture in the rooms has not been changed for years and the same with electricity and plumbing systems. The staffs are in exhausted mood and lack basics in customer services. Nevertheless it is close to the airport for one night or day stay is not bad but the longer days, the hotel is not recommended. Even though I requested a room with a view to the pool the reception gave me a room facing the La Passage Hotel football ground which players come to play in the evening hours with a lot of noise and shouting during the game.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Arabic first
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We booked this hotel because they assured us that they have a shuttle for pick up on arrival. However, they only do this if you arrive from international flights. For domestic flights, it is a minibus that drives by perhaps once an hour. You have to go to the departure level to find it. We never found it and instead was intercepted by someone who said that he was from the hotel. We basically fought with this person to let us out of the car and was left outside of the hotel on the road after paying for his airport exit fee. we complained to the hotel manager since their email explicitly said that there is individual pickup. They regretted what had happened and tried to make our stay nice. Overall the superior rooms are very nice and breakfast was relaxing. When we waited for the shuttle back to the airport, the minbus doesn't always leave on time, so give yourself plenty of time.

Room Tip: superior rooms were nice
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The stay was in the middle of March, and again a second time recently in the middle of April. My father is disabled and we are therefore normally apprehensive of hotels until we stay there, as he needs a lot of care and effort with food, movement, etc.

If you are travelling via the airport, in transit, or want a bit of a break from the hustle and bustle of Cairo, its locations is excellent for that. The shuttle service there to the airport and back is also very frequent and can be called at anytime via a telephone number, plus is free. My parents arrived and were met and had their rooms sorted out very quickly by the receptionist, who explained the facilities at the hotel. The receptionist also seemed happy to wait until we sort things with my father. The 2 receptionists also gave some very good advice on a few issues related to my father's mobility and eating within the hotel. The porter carrying the bags was very patient with my dad's slow movement and frequent breaks every few metres due to mobility issues. Room service were quick to bring extra cushions and sort out the bed to adjust for his needs.

The windows are double-proof and sound-proof, although the noise level was negligible while in the room. The room itself and bathroom were very clean, with a standard worthy of a 4/5 * hotel. The outside facilities included a very good-sized outdoors swimming pool (although a bit chilly for April to swim in) with sunbathing beds/chairs, and a snackbar overlooking the swimming pool, with very well-taken-care of gardens surrounding the hotel. The hotel itself has several restaurants, and my parents were told there was a fitness centre (didn't try that though). The giftshop at the hotel had surprisingly competitive prices with Cairo itself, although you could also negotiate prices here, but the variety of things for sale at this shop was better than a lot of shops (ie the souvenirs), plus you could at least guarantee the quality as it had its reputation within the hotel.

The shuttle service was excellent and very quick to the airport (a few minutes), and the driver being very helpful with the luggage, even waiting at the airport till my father had walked in and was ok.

The best thing about the hotel in addition to the above+modern rooms and excellent quality facilities : the people who worked in the restaurants ! The stay included dinner, and there were the options of either a la carte, order food in their room, or the buffet, where you could choose whatever you wanted. The food included traditional Egyptian food, plus international cuisines. My father has swallowing difficulties and chokes and coughs on a lot of food, so it was very hard for him to eat properly. The treatment they got from the catering staff every time they went to eat, whether breakfast or dinner, on both occasions they stayed, was most commendable and beyond their duty ! They helped him choose his food, then took it inside and the chef cut the meat into very small pieces to ease my dad's eating/swallowing. At one point, the food became very hard to swallow because of his condition: the chef went out of his way by making a sauce to make the food easy to swallow for my father, and made a lovely and very tasty soup after he and the waiters asked what he could and couldn't eat. They also kept checking on what else he needed. You could really see that they GENUINELY cared, and were not just doing it because they wanted a tip/"baqshish" or anything else.
My mum even offered them a tip at the end, and they refused to take it, saying that it was their duty. This was something we had not experienced before in other hotels, especially in the Middle East (and we do stay in 4 or 5 star hotels a lot and in the past). What was even more impressive is that the other guests were also being taken care of very quickly, as we were worried that we would be taking a lot of effort from the waiters, but their head waiter was amazing at directing the various waiters to the various tables very efficiently. This was one of the reasons for the second stay and we plan to stay there again.

All in all, I would strongly recommend this hotel if you are going in transit through Cairo, or if you work in Cairo and want a break. Most importantly, the staff there seemed to be genuinely caring staff when you need their services, at least from our experience, where dealing with a disabled person, really shows a person's true personality, as a lot of patience is needed !

Room Tip: Either overlooking the swimming pool or the lovely gardens
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Hassan M, General Manager at Novotel Cairo Airport, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Valuable Guest,

I would like to express my sincere gratitude to you for your motivating feedback and for recommending us for Tripadvisor readers.
I am extremely thrilled to know that you have appreciated the genuine hospitality of our caring warmhearted team, spotless comfy rooms along with the hotel’s multiple services and facilities.
Surely, your warm words will serve as a great encouragement to the whole team who always strive to provide the optimum service to all our dear guests.
Novotel family is waiting for you soon for another wonderful stay.

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was flying up to Cairo from Luxor and didn't have much of a choice. Either I could arrive in the dead of night or fairly early, so I chose the earlier flight which would get me in at 10ish in the morning. After taking 2½ hours to get from downtown Cairo to the airport the last time I tried it – granted it was in rush hour – I felt no need to go in to town and decided to book the hotel closest to the airport. This was it.
Arriving on time I was asked by reception to take a seat. I thought that was fairly reasonable seeing as their official check-in time was 14.00. Maybe they needed time to make up some rooms. After 20 minutes nothing had happened and after seeing a gentleman who had arrived before me and who had also been waiting go up to reception and check in, I did the same.
I received my room card, entered the elevator, punched my floor and...nothing. No movement. Tried that a couple of times, still nothing. Exited the elevator and saw a woman who had a name tag and asked her what the story was. She pointed out that I had to wave my card in front of a magic thing in the elevator and THEN punch the floor. If I had opened my eyes I might have noticed this on my own but an indication of the procedure to be followed could have been relayed to me at check in by the staff.

The room was close to the elevator as had been indicated at check in. As I looked down the hall and saw that the line of rooms disappeared in the horizon I was grateful. The main building in VERY long.
The room itself had a lovely view over the roof of the reception and various cooling towers. That didn't worry me as I'm not one to stare out the window of a hotel room. There were the requisite furnishings but the TV did not have CNN and BBC as advertised in hotel information book so, as an English speaker, I had to be satisfied with a couple of movie channels which showed films that were so old that I had forgotten that I had seen them. There was a problem with the bathroom in that the drain in the bathtub didn't close completely so I had to keep the water running to take a bath and the drain in the sink didn't open so the water wouldn't drain out. This was discovered after dinner and I just didn't bother to call down and get it fixed. I didn't try the wifi as I had an Egyptian SIM card with lots of MBs left on it.

After unpacking I decided to go down to the pool as that was a another key factor in my decision to choose this hotel. Unfortunately they play Western music over loudspeakers. I'll never understand why hotels do this and since at one point I was the only person at the pool I asked them to turn it off. That happened, briefly, but then it came on again. Oh well, at least a moments respite is better than none.

My next challenge was: where to eat. I really have an aversion to eating what I will expect will be mediocre, overpriced food at a mid-range chain hotel but, since it is too far to find an alternative arrangement, this was a trade off I had to make although I briefly entertained the idea of making a run to the airport – their shuttle runs every half hour 24/7 because – onion rings. I decided to bite the bullet and chose the Italian restaurant in the lobby. They had the requisite selection of pasta so I ordered the fettuccine Al Fredo only to be told that my only Al Fredo choice would be either spaghetti or penne, all other pasta was off the menu. I then took a major gamble and went for the “make your own” pizza. You get to choose five ingredients and when I asked for double up on the anchovies was informed by the waitress with a grimace that “it's very salty” to which I replied, “Yeah, I know.” But, surprise, surprise, out came one of the best pizzas I have ever had. Perfect medium crust and great distribution of ingredients plus just the right amount of mozzarella. Perfecto!
I slept like a baby in the huge double bed, awoke and gorged on the OK buffet breakfast, nicking a couple of croissant for the flight and was then was whisked off to my flight by Kemal the coach driver who I had become close friends with after trading a Danish 50 kroner note he must have received as a tip (very generous) straight over for EGP 50.
I would really like to give this place 3½ stars but you can't do that so I'll have to go for four as it has a pool and is close to the airport which were the two factors that led me here in the first place. You probably don't want to stay here unless you're transiting or have business in the area.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the elevator unless you're a jogger.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Hassan M, General Manager at Novotel Cairo Airport, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Stephen,

Thank you for sharing with us your opinion about your recent stay at Novotel Cairo Airport Hotel.
We appreciate your detailed constructive comments; surely they are tremendously helpful, as we endlessly work on adapting and upgrading our level of service.
We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; I shall share your concerns with the concerned management team members to take the necessary actions in order to avoid the re-occurrence of such incidents in the future.

We do look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The hotel corridors are not clean smelly and smoking is everywhere. The rooms are full of Mosquitos because of poor pest control in the gardens. The staff are unfriendly at all and provides you horrible service if they have to serve you. They refuse to accept freezed items in their freezers and showed no care about your stuff. Wasting time in the parking between the unskilled parking staff.
Very bad experience. Not recommended although convenient location to the airport .

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Mahdy,

Thank you for placing your review on Tripadvisor.
As we truly care about every comment, we have checked our records and observed that you requested to discontinue your check in procedures due to the non-availability of food storage, thus, I would like to highlight that due to health and safety restrictions, we are not allowed to store any food items in the hotel’s fridges other than the permitted certified ones.

We regret such accidental inconvenience and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you in the future.

Hassan Moustafa

Been to Novotel Cairo Airport? Share your experiences!