“Great location offers restful buffer from frenetic city” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Members Exclusive:25% Off
Ranked #14 of 130 Hotels in Cairo
Estero, Florida
“Great location offers restful buffer from frenetic city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

In November 2012 we stayed at the Semiramis for three nights following a two-week cruise through the Mideast. The location is perfect, adjacent to Tahrir Square and the Egyptian Museum, and offers a gorgeous view of the Nile. Cairo is a city that never sleeps with active night life, intense traffic, and lots of noise. We loved being able to step out on our balcony and look out over the frenetic life below yet, with the heavy drapes closed, it was blissfully quiet and serene. Our room was spacious and well-equipped.

The hotel offers free wi-fi in the lobby along with shopping, cocktail lounge with live music, casino for non-Egyptians, and several restaurants. We especially enjoyed the breakfast buffet at the Night and Day restaurant where there is an amazing selection of fresh juices, the pita bread is hot from the oven (the lady who bakes the bread is especially sweet and friendly), and the fresh fruit and vegetables are very tasty.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Arabic first
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My cousins, sister and I stayed at the Intercontinental Semiramis Cairo for two nights in December 2012.

It is a beautiful hotel. It is well-placed within the busy cairo city centre. The rooms with a city view have an excellent view of Tahir Square from the balcony outside the room which is lovely to sit out and watch the city from. And the view from the front of the hotel is off the nile so you are simply spoilt for choice!

The rooms are large and comfortable and clean. The staff were lovely, very welcoming and pleasant and best of all helpful. The hotel has a lovely cafe with amazing cakes for sale. Breakfast was awesome. Food was fresh and appetizing. The wait-staff were super helpful and eager to do what they can to meet any dietary requirements. Travellers must try the egyptian bread cooked right in front of you which is simply delicious hot from the oven.

The hotel also has several atms in the reception area which are useful to use during your stay. There is also a little shopping arcade which leads out of the lobby which includes a pharmacy, spa, souvenir store with reasonable prices (bargain bargain bargain!), and book store. Being right on the nile means that you are in the busiest area of Cairo and walking around late at night is not recommended.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who visits cairo.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ICSemiramisStaff, Operations Manager at InterContinental Cairo Semiramis, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Camish52,

Thank you for your kind words describing your stay at our hotel. We are proud knowing that you and your frineds enjoyed your rooms, hotel facilities, and service during your December stay.

We look forward for welcoming you and your friends back in the near future to the Semriamis InterContinental in Cairo.

Operations Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed in Semiramis in jan 2013 for 3"2 days as part of a month long trip in asia and the middle east. My stay was extremely pleasant, starting with the staff at the reception, who were very welcoming, smiling and friendly. The room has an authentic Arabian style but it it s comfy and clean. The view on the Nile was very nice as well. The breakfast buffet is probably the best in the region, everything is freshly cooked and tastes very good! Try the toomia and the waffles. I also tried the swimming pool and the sauna, they were not bad at all!
On the negatif side there was no wifi in the rooms, but i was able to connect via cable to my laptop and the Internet was free.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Samer_kallas,

Thank you very much for posting your words on your stay in January at the hotel. I am happy knowing that you enjoyed your hotel room, food and service.

Looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

New Delhi, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at Intercontinental on our last day at Cairo on 29th December. Though we booked the hotel well in advance paying the whole amount almost 2 months before, still the reception insisted us for a block on our cards which is the first experience in my life after staying all across other 5 star properties like Hilton, Conrad and Radisson.

The Manager at reception was highly insensitive towards us and it took us almost 20 minutes to checking even though all passports and documents were given. More so the room that was given didn't have all the toiletries and one of the phone was not working. the biggest shock was when we ordered the room service for food and rather than asking us to sign on the bill the waiter asked to pay cash right away. A complete ridiculous experience and definitely my last stay in the hotel ever. The bed we slept in was the worst as we had the most uncomfortable sleep of our trip.

Also wanted to point out the fact that the security check at the entrance is below par as there are no scanners and all things are checked manually.

Please avoid. There are much much better 5 star properties to chose from in Cairo.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear AseemAgr,

Thank you for posting your review of your December stay in Semiramis InterContinental Hotel. I do apologize for not being able to meet your expectations during your stay; and I would like to highlight some points:

1) Re hotel request for a credit card authorization; it is a hotel policy to request it to cover room extras as well as to facilitate the checkout procedure, and as an exception, the receptionist informed you that 'no post' to room bill will be activated and that explains the request of room service attendant for cash payment and the delay of check in.

2) Hotel security check; the hotel applies x-ray scan for luggages and not for small bags e.g. lady bag, etc...

As for bed comfort, I hope that you could have raised that issue during your short stay to rectify it on the spot.

I hope that I have clarified above points clearly and I do remain in case of further queries. Looking forward to welcoming you and your partner in the near future where no effort will be spared to make your stay an enjoyable one

My best regard,

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Impeccable service for a large hotel. We stayed 3 days in a deluxe suite and the view over the Nile, to the Opera House and Tahrir Square was worth every penny. Centrally located in downtown Cairo, it's walking distance to the Antiquities Museum, Opera House and the US Embassy. We dined at the Lebanese and Italian restaurants which were well priced for hotel restaurants and the service was excellent. Beautiful pool area and a small shopping center located within the hotel.
The staff at the Semiramis anticipated our every desire. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear waveguy777,

Thank you very much for your review. It was a pleasure knowing that you and your family enjoyed your stay at our hotel this January. I will sure pass your kind words to Pane Vino's and Sabaya's service and kitchen teams.

Looking for the pleasure of welcoming you again in the hotel in the near future.

Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Spent four days there on my holiday in Egypt. Is a great hotel, wonderful location. Rooms are great. Large, comfortable and clean. Service was good and staff very friendly and helpful. Only negative was lack of WIFI in the rooms. Have to go down to the lobby for WIFI.

Room Tip: Ask for Nile view room on 20th floor or above.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We had 2 stays at the Semiramis in October, a week apart. It's an average, comfortable hotel with all the trappings/facilities of a big hotel. But with some service fails.

-The rooms are of decent size. On our second stay, we were given a room that was clearly not ready (3 lamps not working leaving the room in half-darkness -1 lamp fell apart when I touched it, dirty/dusty table and counter top, dirty washroom), and when they still could not fix these after 40 mins, I requested another room, which the duty manager obliged with a slightly upgraded room-type.
-The beds were very comfortable. You do hear a bit of noise despite the high floors, but not disturbingly so with the glass doors closed. Tahrir Sq is forever busy and noisy.
-Bathroom is alright, but a little tired, showing signs of mold in the grouting. Toiletries are of good quality.
-For a hotel that is supposedly up-market, they are very stingy with drinking water -2 small bottles.. we ended up lugging back bottles of water. It wouldn't have cost the hotel much to provide more..
-Loved the breakfast variety, it is really good. I especially like the juices. Service at breakfast is fast, efficient and friendly.
-Ate once at the Birdcage since it was recommended-it is expensive, and the food we had was a poor interpretation of Thai food. This is a subjective matter, perhaps just not to my taste.

Front-desk is where the hotel failed most:
-Check-in both times took a while (40 mins), once when there were not many guests around.
-My ground-handling agent had specially arranged for extended check-out on my last day, but the door card key didn't work upon my return in the afternoon, and the front desk staff refused to update my keycard. Actually he wasn't very interested in solving the problem, just kept asking me to pay more. So after a few minutes of this, I had my agent speak to him. He checked the system, sort of grunted, and then took my card, updated it and handed it over, and looked away to other things, no apologies, etc..
-That's not the end of the saga, 30 minutes later in the room, I received 2 more calls from various people pestering me to check out. The cheek! And they still want bakheesh after this?

Location-Short walking distance to Egyptian Museum and downtown places. Location may not be that important as anywhere you would go as a tourist, you will most likely to be taking a taxi anyway.
There is a bank money exchange in the Shepheard Hotel next door. The other thing to note is that it is close to the US embassy... (I did not find out until I had confirmed my booking).

The hotel rooms are lush and comfortable, a little dusty. It's the little service fails that is irritating enough to make one pause. Frankly, I expected better. Only stay if there is a hefty discount...

Room Tip: High floors to avoid the noise...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear dogrun,

Thank you for your reivew of your stay in December and for highlighting the raised issues where we were not able to meet your expecations. Your satisfaction is our main objetive and I would like to request sending me on: sherif.abourida@ihg.com your booking confirmation number to stand on the facts regarding the incident of front desk and reply back to you after investigation.

Awaiting your reply.

Operations Manager

Been to InterContinental Cairo Semiramis? Share your experiences!