We booked a suite in the other hotel, Royal. When we planned to book it (by email) they told us that they opened a new hotel, Grand Royal, and offered as the opportunity to stay there. We didn't want to, but wanted to stay in the pedestrian area of the first hotel. Surprisingly, when we arrived in Cairo the taxi stopped at Grand Royal... They wanted to give us an “upgrade” to this hotel, the management told us. The fact that we didn't want to change hotels before, was ignored. They told us that the other hotel was being renovated and therefore noisy. And what about an upgrade: from suite to suite? Where is that an upgrade?
The Grand Royal is an average hotel. It is new, recently opened, but with lot of things that should have been better before they opened.
- New hotel, freshly refurbished and decorated.
- The suite (room 25) was big, with a separate bathroom, high ceilings, fresh flowers in the room.
- Good and silent AC-system.
- In the lively neighbourhood of Talaat Harb Street, with lots of shops and sweet baklava at Groppi on the other side of the street. Don’t forget your earplugs to sleep at night!
- Very friendly management.
- No curtains or roll-down shutters. When we complained, they painted the windows as a temporarily solution…
- No hooks to hang the towels, no tissue holder, no bathroom shelf, etc...
- A mini bath-tub (also a pro when you don’t expect a bath).
- A door between our and the next room. Handy when you need two rooms as a family, but otherwise they should only rent out one of the two room. A new couple arrived late at night in the other room. We could hear them talk, take a shower, sneeze, etc., although they weren’t very loud.
- No chair(s) and/or table.
- Bad WIFI signal in the room.
- Poor breakfast: 2 buns, jam, cheese spread, oily fried egg, nescafe or tea, jam, yoghurt.
- We ordered breakfast on our last day at 7 a.m.. Not a problem, they said…. From 7.05 a.m. on the receptionist made excuses for the delay every 5 minutes. No breakfast untill 7.25 a.m., 5 minutes before our airport taxi arrived.
- 3 elevators of which 1 was not working every day and another didn’t work properly. It should stop every 2 floors, but stopped between them instead, in front of a concrete wall… 6 floors is a lot to walk, but safer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Agoda, Travelocity, HostelBookers, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Grand Royal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.