“comfiest beds in the middle east” 5 of 5 stars

You added Golden Hotel to your Saves list
Golden Hotel
13, Talaat Harb Street, Cairo 00000, Egypt   |
Ranked #25 of 130 Hotels in Cairo
“comfiest beds in the middle east”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Hotel is in a great location a minute from the Museum. The rooms have proper beds with proper duvets and pillows. Everything is extremely clean. There are filling breakfasts and the owner & staff are very helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
goldenhotelegypt, Owner at Golden Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thanks a lot for your kind support. Your review helps us a lot. It was real plesure to have you as our guests. I wish you good time Sophia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 1 night at the Golden Hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful, it's a great location for walking to the Egyptian museum. As previous comments mentioned it's close to the demonstrations on Tahrir square but we felt safe and had no problems with anyone. We organised a driver through the hotel to take us to the pyramids and then back to the airport. All was done efficiently and at a decent price.
Recommended.

Room Tip: We got a room at the back, it's less fancy but quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Golden Hotel, Cairo for two nights in early February 2013. The hotel is situated a two minute walk from Tahrir Square (where demonstrators and protesters could be seen) but we felt completely safe and in no way, in any danger. We even walked through the square a few times, on route to the Corniche. The protesters have no quarrel with tourists. Don't be put off by the exterior of the hotel. Once you get out of the lift, a whole new world opens up at the Golden Hotel on the third floor. Sophie the owner/manager was very welcoming. Sophie is Swiss and speaks very good english. She is very hands-on. Her rooms were basic with TV but were spotlessly clean and comfortable. Her breakfasts were scrumptious. We visited the Pyramids and the Egyptian Museum while we were in Cairo and would loved to have stayed longer with Sophie. Thank you Sophie for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Essex, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Hadn't planned to stay here but our original booking with another hotel went pear-shaped and we ended up here - thank goodness! The ground floor entrance is a bit off-putting when you first arrive but you quickly become accustomed to the streets of Cairo. However, upstairs in the Golden Hotel, everything is absolutely spotless (the owner-manager Sophie quipped that she's hated by her cleaners! Sophie is Swiss but speaks several languages which was great for us as we don't! We felt completely safe here, despite the widely-reported agitation in Tahrir Square (in fact, we ended up in the Square by accident - we'd gone into a bakery - and turned the wrong way when we came out). We crossed the square several times after that and at no time felt unsafe - the Egyptians have no quarrel with tourists. We were only here for a couple of days to do the Pyramids and the Egyptian Museum but would have happily stayed longer. Thank you Sophie.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
goldenhotelegypt, Owner at Golden Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thanks for this nice words girls (...) it was a real plesur to have you as our guests and I hope that you had a good stay in Luxor too. You are always welcome at the Golden Hotel Egypt and we hope to see you soon again. Take care Sophia
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Golden Hotel is central with spotless rooms, nice interior, charming staff and a most helpful and kind owner, Sophia. Add Wi-Fi, flatscreen, fridge, aircon, blue tiles in the bathroom and a very good dinner, and I do not know what more to ask. Maybe a spacious rooftop area, and for sure Golden Hotel has that too.

I visited with my parents and (kind of) girlfriend and we were all very pleased, even in the troubled times Cairo are going through. Sophia would always have the proper advice of what to do and what not to do (not much, actually...). After two weeks, she was like family.

I am looking forward to coming back. Feel free to read more about my recommendation of Golden Hotel on my blog, where you will find more about Cairo:

Room Tip: If you plan on using the Wi-Fi, ask for a room closest to the routers.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Spent about two weeks here on business.

This is by far the best value for money I have ever had.

Rooms:
Clean and immaculate, very comfy mattress, a fridge, Internet and television, and air-conditioning also included.
Staff:
The hotel manager, Sofia was exceptional and helped me every step of the way, from helping me work out the best routes when traveling around the city, to providing me an english speaking driver to get me around, to help me find a tailor who could resize my oversized suit trousers!

Location
At the heart of Cairo, it's within a walking distance to the Cairo museum, as well as major restaurants and shops.
Delicious Breakfast; For dinner, it's adjacent to pizza place, numerous Egyptian restaurants that serve local cuisine, a convenience store was also close by.

A big thank you to all the staff - You were all unbelievably helpful - i'll definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2012
Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights based on the reviews of other fellow members. Sure, compared to other average hotels this one is better. Quality of room in general is better , although the room itself is small and the bathroom has no door but for traveling solo that's not a problem. Breakfast is ok also. I think for the price you pay this hotel is better than its counterparts but all that is forgotten when the manager of the hotel treats you with an attitude

My brother came to visit me for a few hours since he's an expert in Cairo. He ended up staying the night with me on the bed. In the morning when we woke up right when we opened the door of the room the manager came and asked for $15 extra because of my brother's stay! Not only that, but she said it with a frowning face! I gave her $100 smiling and asked her if that would do? And she said: yes. Then she said: "Now that you paid, it is fine"! I don't mind at all paying extra money for my brother's stay, $15 is nothing but I felt that the way this was handled should have been better. She could have waited until we came to the reception area which is a few steps away from the room. She could have smiled at least when she talked to us! It made me feel like I committed a grave sin by having my brother staying with me! He actually asked them for a mattress during the night so it was not like we were trying to deceive them! But that's the price you pay for going on a budget I guess when you decide to stay at an average hotel! This experience for overshadowed all good things about this hotel unfortunately and I'll never stay again in this hotel. I'll pay little bit extra and stay in a better hotel next time. I don't like being treated this way. Ask for money, it's your right but ask in a nice way. Smile when you talk to your clients. These are basic rules for any business, let alone a hotel for God's sake!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Golden Hotel? Share your experiences!