“Clean rooms and kind, generous service” 5 of 5 stars

Cairo Moon Hotel
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   28 Adly Street, Cairo, Egypt   |
Ranked #3 of 47 Cairo B&B and Inns
Mzuzu, Malawi
“Clean rooms and kind, generous service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Although it's been over a year since my brief stay at Cairo Moon (September 2011) I still feel obliged to express my appreciation for the welcome I and my family received at Cairo Moon hotel. We went at the last minute without knowing what to expect. The elevator into the hotel was a little daunting but the rooms themselves were spacious and clean and the manager and staff were very helpful and accommodating of my large family's needs and spoke excellent English. They gave us plenty of friendly, useful advice on restaurants and avoiding tourist traps around Cairo.

The breakfast was simple - bread, jam and tea- but the rooms were priced at such good value that even that felt like a generous gesture. Thank you and apologies for the delay in posting this review.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I really feel truly blessed for finding this hotel, I was backpacking the middle east solo but felt at home among friends the very first night I checked in. Mohamed is a very involved owner and will make sure your experience is as perfect as he can make it, always helpful, always friendly.

ASK FOR "RAAOF" AS A DRIVER! I went all over the middle east and out of the dozen or so drivers I had, Raaof in Cairo was definitely the best! Bright young man, very good english, studied tourism and history in college so he can give you a lot of insight both past and present into Egypt. In addition to showing me all over Cairo, making sure my experience at the pyramids was amazing, and spending entire days with me, he also went above and beyond by picking me up at the airport even though I arrived at midnight, and dropping me off when I left at 4AM. Very trustworthy. He truly made my experience in Cairo epic but most importantly SAFE. He's much more then a driver, he's a guide (a very good one) and now a friend.

There are nicer more expensive places to stay but given the overall experience if you consider yourself a "traveler" more then a "tourist" you really need to stay here and spend a couple days with Mohamed and Raaof, let them show you Cairo with a locals perspective. They are both very professional and likeable guys.

Before coming I read comments about the building being old and breakfast being bland, which I guess I can understand, but for the $ I was actually very surprised by how nice and comfortable this place was, yeah its old, but very clean and everything worked. Remember this is in downtown Cairo! Thats the best part, and you can't beat the price. If you're used to staying in most hostels like me this place will feel like a luxury hotel :)

I obviously had a great time in Egypt, and a lot of that had to do with staying here.

Room Tip: This place is high enough that the 24/7 "noise of Cairo" really isn't that bad.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Lahore, Pakistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I did choose three time this hotel. Because i always feel that i am living at my family home. His staff is very cooperative and his owner Mohamed El naggar has very nice personality and helpful person. If Egyptian government will give me residence visa i will live in CAIRO MOON HOTEL.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

It was our first time to Middle East and we are quite nervous about the mysterious area. I was very lucky to choose Cairo Moon as our first stop in the "adventure". The owner, Mohamed, is really a trustworthy and sincere person, who is also the soul of the hotel. When I just booked the hotel, he wrote a welcome email to me, and offered many tour options. I asked him a lot of questions; he always answered them patiently and efficiently. Compared to other travel agencies, he offered a very good price to our group according to our itinerary. The 12-day trip turned out to be an extremely wonderful experience, with high quality far more than we had expected. And every time we came back from other cities, Cairo Moon is just like our home, very cosy and comfortable. The hotel provided clean good size room,comfortable firm bedding. It was in an excellent location in the middle of downtown, close to Egyptian museum as well as all shopping stores and restaurants. Service is always prompt and helpful. The staff, sometimes even the manager, would help us carry our luggage downstairs. They respond quickly to the needs and concerns of their guests. If we were leaving for other cities the following day, Mohamed would stay in the hotel to see us off. He is always around to care about his guests; it is hard to describe how nice he is. If it is your first time to Egypt, you have to stay here, talking to Mohamed about traveling information. You would enjoy your trip in Egypt just as much as my friends and I do!

• Stayed January 2013
Shenzhen, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

It was fun and comfortable. I lived like my own room, when the floor is not cleaned I asked them to do it. When my towel is dirty, I know where to get it without asking them to served me. Everything can get, as long as I have 100pound in my pocket. I love downtown although noisy and crowded but its fun to be with the egyptian people. I enjoyed being alone and its safe, as long as not alone after midnight. I always have a cup of coffee and sometimes free meals. The price that I paid for the room is considered fantastic.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The stay at this hotel was great. The room was good for the price we (me and my family) payed for, a very proper room. The hotel is located in the middle of the center of Cairo, that was a mayor plus-point to us.

Furthermore, the staff was friendly and tried to help as good as they could. You get the feeling you are very welcome. In the public space we would stay for a chat with the owner and other travelers, there was a nice vibe...family-like.

We also took a trip to Gizeh, the staff helped with that too. They offer many tours to different places, but we chose Gizeh. So basically with the tour to Gizeh, you get picked up by car and a tour guide will guide you trough all the sights at Gizeh and then you will be brought back to the hotel again. I recommend the tour offered by the hotel, because it was cheaper than that of many travel agencies. And because we felt that it was comfortable to experience it this way, no hustle and very easy.

Next time when we will go to Cairo we will definitely stay at this hotel again and try the other tours.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed in two rooms for three nights... Hotel pick up went smoothly especially when our flight was two hours late.
I am giving this hotel a 'very good' rating because at $27 a night it was a worth it... Rooms are plain with two beds , a dressing table , a wardrobe and a TV that is usless ( too small to see) and doesnt work. Bathroom desperately needs a renovation as my room had a small bath which became slippery...toilet smelled at times also.
Our beds were very comfortable and very little traffic noise.. Sleep on the 1st and 3rd nights were great.. But 2nd night noise from the common room kept us awake.. TV was very loud and someone was yelling on over the phone till about 2am .. Not sure if housekeeping is included in the price but no one entered our room at all.. so we had to ask for toliet paper etc...
No breakfast was offered so not sure if you have to pay extra..
The hotel is situated in a very good area. There is a GAD restaurant, KFC and McDonalds within walking distance.
The hotel is very secure so I would recommend for single travellers.
The driver we used to take us to the pyramids was very friendly and drove very carefully..
I know its tough times in Egypt but the hotel could do with a bit of polish and some new paint etc.. The lift is scary but I have seen worse in Cairo..
Dont expect much and you will enjoy your stay....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cairo Moon Hotel? Share your experiences!