“Amazingly beyond our expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Cairo Moon Hotel
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   28 Adly Street, Cairo, Egypt   |
Ranked #3 of 46 Cairo B&B and Inns
Taipei, Taiwan
“Amazingly beyond our expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

It was our first time to Middle East and we are quite nervous about the mysterious area. I was very lucky to choose Cairo Moon as our first stop in the "adventure". The owner, Mohamed, is really a trustworthy and sincere person, who is also the soul of the hotel. When I just booked the hotel, he wrote a welcome email to me, and offered many tour options. I asked him a lot of questions; he always answered them patiently and efficiently. Compared to other travel agencies, he offered a very good price to our group according to our itinerary. The 12-day trip turned out to be an extremely wonderful experience, with high quality far more than we had expected. And every time we came back from other cities, Cairo Moon is just like our home, very cosy and comfortable. The hotel provided clean good size room,comfortable firm bedding. It was in an excellent location in the middle of downtown, close to Egyptian museum as well as all shopping stores and restaurants. Service is always prompt and helpful. The staff, sometimes even the manager, would help us carry our luggage downstairs. They respond quickly to the needs and concerns of their guests. If we were leaving for other cities the following day, Mohamed would stay in the hotel to see us off. He is always around to care about his guests; it is hard to describe how nice he is. If it is your first time to Egypt, you have to stay here, talking to Mohamed about traveling information. You would enjoy your trip in Egypt just as much as my friends and I do!

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shenzhen, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

It was fun and comfortable. I lived like my own room, when the floor is not cleaned I asked them to do it. When my towel is dirty, I know where to get it without asking them to served me. Everything can get, as long as I have 100pound in my pocket. I love downtown although noisy and crowded but its fun to be with the egyptian people. I enjoyed being alone and its safe, as long as not alone after midnight. I always have a cup of coffee and sometimes free meals. The price that I paid for the room is considered fantastic.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The stay at this hotel was great. The room was good for the price we (me and my family) payed for, a very proper room. The hotel is located in the middle of the center of Cairo, that was a mayor plus-point to us.

Furthermore, the staff was friendly and tried to help as good as they could. You get the feeling you are very welcome. In the public space we would stay for a chat with the owner and other travelers, there was a nice vibe...family-like.

We also took a trip to Gizeh, the staff helped with that too. They offer many tours to different places, but we chose Gizeh. So basically with the tour to Gizeh, you get picked up by car and a tour guide will guide you trough all the sights at Gizeh and then you will be brought back to the hotel again. I recommend the tour offered by the hotel, because it was cheaper than that of many travel agencies. And because we felt that it was comfortable to experience it this way, no hustle and very easy.

Next time when we will go to Cairo we will definitely stay at this hotel again and try the other tours.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed in two rooms for three nights... Hotel pick up went smoothly especially when our flight was two hours late.
I am giving this hotel a 'very good' rating because at $27 a night it was a worth it... Rooms are plain with two beds , a dressing table , a wardrobe and a TV that is usless ( too small to see) and doesnt work. Bathroom desperately needs a renovation as my room had a small bath which became slippery...toilet smelled at times also.
Our beds were very comfortable and very little traffic noise.. Sleep on the 1st and 3rd nights were great.. But 2nd night noise from the common room kept us awake.. TV was very loud and someone was yelling on over the phone till about 2am .. Not sure if housekeeping is included in the price but no one entered our room at all.. so we had to ask for toliet paper etc...
No breakfast was offered so not sure if you have to pay extra..
The hotel is situated in a very good area. There is a GAD restaurant, KFC and McDonalds within walking distance.
The hotel is very secure so I would recommend for single travellers.
The driver we used to take us to the pyramids was very friendly and drove very carefully..
I know its tough times in Egypt but the hotel could do with a bit of polish and some new paint etc.. The lift is scary but I have seen worse in Cairo..
Dont expect much and you will enjoy your stay....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I had a marvelous stay in Cairo at Cairo Moon Hotel. Very good service, smiling faces everywhere, and friendly family atmoshere. In easy walking distance from many touristic attractions and local restaurants. Very reasonable prices too. Next time when I travel in Cairo I will come back again in the same place, for sure.
Anastasios / Dubai, UAE

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Pros: Free pickup from AND to the airport. This is priceless as you do not want to be navigating Cairo if this is your first time in town. Free, strong wifi. Central downtown location. The staff will make you tea whenever you want it. It's relatively quiet given that it's downtown. They can arrange any tour you need. Comfy bed.

Mohammed, the owner, makes this place. He is like the Egyptian big brother you never had. He will sit down and go through all the sites with you. He will tell you what's cool and what you can miss if you don't have time. He offers VERY WELL PRICED tours. We got a driver and tour guide for a full day to the Giza Pyramids, Saqqara, and Memphis for $50 US. We have a friend who lives in Cairo and he said this price was much lower than average and advised us to take it. Sure, the tour included a stop to a papyrus shop and perfume shop but the visits were short and there wasn't any pressure to buy. This is probably how the tour is so cheap to begin with. The driver (Raoul) and the tour guide (Heeba?) were both a pleasure to be around. Great English and great personalities. The tour guide was very informative and answered all our questions.

Mohammed is not pushy at all with the tours. He just gives you the info and you decide. We never felt obligated to do any of the tours he suggested. But it was great to have all the info laid out in front of you so you can make your own decision.

Mohammed also presented my partner with a gift for his birthday which was unexpected and fully appreciated.

Cons: I feel bad writing anything negative about the place because the hospitality is so great. But here it is. It's in an old building with very old elevators. If you are claustrophobic you will not enjoy the ride as you can see and touch the floors as they move past you. It is on the 8th floor of the building. The rooms are as old as the building. The whole place could use a facelift - new paint, new bedding, more furniture. Breakfast is bare bones but enough to get you out the door. But for $27 a night, you can't really expect much more.

So if this is your first time in Cairo, I highly suggest you stay here because Mohammed will hold your hand in city that can be overwhelming. If you want someone to help you navigate the city without getting scammed, stay here. If you like good company and a homey feel, stay here. If you're looking for a luxury place to stay with beautiful linens and decor, this is not it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The hotel was a great price!! as i met a friend in cairo for 5 days and stayed at the Cairo moon, the staff of Abra-hem and Mohammad where great! great location and staff very helpful with getting us places, and setting up trips for us!

Room Tip: rooms toward the street can be a little noise because of cars always beeping. didn't bother me t...