“Good location and the room is spacious. But the service really needs to be improved!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bella Luna

and 1 more site!
You added Bella Luna to your Saves list
Bella Luna
27 Talaat Harb St | Downtown, Cairo 11111, Egypt   |
Ranked #39 of 133 Hotels in Cairo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Breakfast: the staff didn't tell me there are two options for breakfast but served me with literally three small loafs of COLD bread, one boiled egg and a cup of tea.

Service: some of the staff speaks very limited English. Those who speak good English told me off that I should not ask for good service as they are not a 5 star hotel when I complained that it is very inconvenient for people staying on the 3rd floor to communicate with the reception.

Location: very central but the building that this hotel is located is horrible!

Room: mine is spacious. Just make sure they turn on the hot water before u jump into the shower.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Davie, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hotel is a total surprise. One would think that it is going to be a total dump judging by the entrance to the building and the elevator. Once you get to your room on the third floor (after checking in on the fifth floor) you are pleasantly surprised by newly renovated rooms that are secure and clean. The staff was always helpful and friendly and the location of this oasis of peace is excellent for exploring downtown Cairo at any time of the day. There are plentiful of all sorts of stores,street vendors and restaurants in its vicinity.
I spent four nights here on October 2012 and I will not hesitate recommending it to any independent traveler looking for a clean, safe and affordable hotel in Cairo.

Room Tip: ask for a room not facing the street if street noise affects your ability to sleep
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Eugene, Oregon, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Rajeev's review is spot on. I did not have quite so horrendous an experience, but I must say that I negotiated a tour of the pyramids through H. Moussa (part owner) that was less than, how should I say, usual. Originally priced at 100 Egyptian pounds, he tried to scrounge for 50 more. When I protested via email, he relented. The facilities are okay, though I had a bathroom light that did not work, due to having no switch nor wiring... just for show, I guess. French Colonial construction of the hotel on the 1800's, the hotel's building is beautiful but run down, the staircase bannister appeared as though not cleaned since the building's inception, by way of example. By no means expect an adequate breakfast but good luck finding it elsewhere, given Egypt's and Cairo's present state of affairs. As for service, forget it: I had none, not even a change of toilet paper in three days! Very unfortunately, for the time being, my advice is not to travel to Egypt. It was attempted to hassle, hustle, or huckster me the entire time... this hotel included. On one hand it was good to tour the pyramids and Sakahra with virtually no other tourists, but it turned out for good reasons. Truly, my only positive experience was the hotel's driver and my tour guide, Abdo and Mario respectively, both of whom were honorable and trustworthy gentlemen. Book something with them... If you're so intrepid as to travel to Cairo in the near future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

The Luna hostel is your basic backpacker affair. I had a mixed stay while staying here so let me break it down into pros and cons.

Pros:
-Rooms are spacious, clean and good AC.
-Bathrooms are clean.
-The morning manager (older man) was informative as to the scams operating at the Egyptian museum.
-Basic breakfast (flat bread, tea, cheese, fig jam)

Cons:
-The sliding lock on our door was not working, so at night we put a bag against the door, just to be safe.
-Overpriced tours and transport
This was one issue which really annoyed me. To begin with they offered a taxi service to and from the pyramids of Giza for 150EP. We made our own way out there (and at the same time got a feel for the city) for 25% of that price.

Before explaining the next part of how they try and rip you off, let me just give you some comparisons (which I also pointed out to the younger, evening manager).

The trip from Luna to Cairo International costs 75EP @ 50-55mins, 26Km
The trip from Luna to Ramses station costs 35EP@10-15mins, 3.4Km

I pointed this out, for a fifth of the time duration they were looking for approx half the price. I said how can you justify this price to which he replied it's 'fixed price'.
For anyone who's ever been to Egypt they will tell you fixed price doesn't exit for tourists. Now this hotel will often quote on their trip advisor reviews, 'take it or leave it'. Normally I would leave it if I feel I'm being blatantly ripped off, but at this time I didn't really have a choice due to the shootings at the Nile River Hotel that day (I wasn't sure whether it was a terrorist attack or general unrest and thus how safe it would be on the streets of Cairo). The manager explained 'we provide you with good car and safe driver', hence the cost...

What we got was a 1999/2000 car, driven by a young boy racer who nearly had the car sandwiched in the Cairo traffic. Ironic in that the manager said the alternative street taxis were of a similar description!
-The hotel was devoid of any atmosphere

To sum up, I'd advise avoiding here as there are other hotels in the same location who aren't looking to rip you off.

Room Tip: Insist on a double room if that is what you have booked, rather than be given a twin.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
hanymoussa, Manager at Bella Luna, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Take it or leave it!! That what I can say & its better to leave it!!!
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I have to say, when we first arrive it was 3 am in the morning, nobody on the streets. So, my first impression of the building and the creepy elevator wasn't so cool. Once you get used to a doorless elevator, it's OK.
Rooms are lovely, recently painted, very clean. We stayed in the 3rd floor, where most rooms have windows to an alley that is not so noisy as the street. It gives a great natural light. They have A/C, shower, lots of space and free Wi Fi. Breakfast isn't so good, just some piece of bread and a dry croissant, a boiled egg and tea/nescafe.
The owner will try to sell you a lot of touristic alternatives the first days, take what you consider proper. He tried to organise our whole stay, but we didn't want to risk out trip in Egypt by prepayment, just made a few trips in Cairo and the pyramids (300 EGP each) with them, and we had different experiences, depending, mostly, on the drivers (one of them, try to scam us).
It's located downtown Cairo, so you have everything near, and plenty of transport to get wherever you need. Egyptian Musseum is about six blocks, so the metro.
Staff is great, they always give you good advice and they are really friendly. We recommend it!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed at Bella Luna for four nights. I decided to stay there because it was recommended to me by a coworker who had stayed at Hotel Luna (which is on the 5th floor in the same building) and I felt that the price was good. I was also attracted by the idea that it would be a non-smoking environment as well as the fact that it was within walking distance of the Egyptian Museum. It was also far enough from Tahrir Square where demonstrations are still being held on Fridays.

I booked a quiet room at the back of Bella Luna for 142 Egyptian pounds per night (about 24$ US). I had called their front desk after I emailed them. Over the phone and via email, I felt that they were professional and answered all my questions. I booked the most expensive room they offered because it was away from the noise of the street. (Apart from one night when the family in the building across from my room was playing their TV loudly, it was very quiet.) If I was planning to stay with them for four nights, I was told that the pickup from the airport would be free, or, if I was staying less than four nights, the cost would be 75 Egyptian pounds. The driver was waiting for me in the arrivals with my name on a sign. He was nice enough to take me on a few errands at the shopping mall near the airport. (However, I don’t suggest you buy a mobile phone SIM card at that shopping mall because your SIM will not be activated for two days.)

The drive to the hotel took just over 30 minutes in the traffic. Bella Luna is located downtown in the shopping district. There is a shopping mall (filled with mostly men’s clothes) right across the street from the hotel. There is a KFC and other types of fast food shops in the food court on the bottom floor of the shopping mall as well as GAD, Egyptian fast food, within easy walking distance of the hotel. There is a photo shop nearby and a proper place to by an Egyptian SIM card to use to make local calls. I strongly suggest buying a copy of Lonely Planet: Egypt ahead of time because it helped me a lot to find out about closing times, what things I wanted to see, etc.

Someone from the hotel came to the taxi and walked me to the hotel which was in a small alley between shoe shops and watch shops. I was taken up an old elevator that had no walls to enclose it and no safety door that worked. This did not bother me because I had read about it already on TripAdvisor. I was taken to the front desk of Hotel Luna on the 5th floor of the decrepit building that had dirty stairs. This did not bother me either because it was simply a common area the hotel had no control over because other business were also situated in the building. After checking in, I was taken to the third floor of Bella Luna, the more up market hostel that is also owned by those who run Hotel Luna. I was taken through a locked door and was ushered to room 301, a room at the back of the hotel that did not face the busy, noisy street where people were shouting and selling clothes just on the edge of the road. There was one queen-sized and one single bed, two chairs with iron backs and one matching iron table. On the nicely painted walls, an iron mirror hung over a small glass ledge. The bathroom was clean. There was a tall iron coat rack at the foot of the queen-sized bed. The floor was a bit over waxed, but the room was pretty clean. In fact, this was the cleanest hotel I stayed at in the three hotels I stayed at in Egypt.

The continental breakfast at Bella Luna had more than enough calories: there was one hardboiled egg, a very large croissant, and two large buns. There was jam, a slice of Happy Cow cheese, and butter to spread on all the bread. I chose Egyptian tea that had a bunch of tea grit settled at the bottom. The rest of the mornings I stayed there, I had the Egyptian breakfast with fuul and falafel in pita bread as well as a single egg. I felt it was much tastier than the continental breakfast.

Hany, one of the part owners of the hotel, sat down with me in the air-conditioned lobby area of Bella Luna as soon as I had checked in, and we brainstormed out a tour for the rest of my time in Egypt. He was patient and very helpful and he also made very good suggestions I had not thought about. We decided I would go visit the pyramids the next day. It would be 300 Egyptian pounds (LE) for the car and driver and 100 LE extra if I wanted a guide. I opted for no official guide. I also paid Hany for air tickets he booked on my behalf. He said he did not want any other money until the end of my trip because he wanted to make sure that I was happy with everything. After we had brainstormed a tour plan, I found out that my SIM card did not work. Hany tried to call Mobinil for me, but they could not activate my SIM card because I was a foreigner. As a result, he walked me to the nearest Mobinil shop and helped me get a new one. We stopped to eat at GAD, basically the McDonald’s of Egypt. I found Hany to be a really nice guy who really made an effort to take care of his guests, especially now that tourism had dropped off after the Revolution.

I felt Egypt was very safe and the Egyptian people were very welcoming on the whole. I was a bit put off, however, with how many people at the tourist sites wanted to perform unnecessary services (becoming an impromptu guide, shine lights on things, etc.) for a tip. I learned you just have to ignore them as best you can. Regardless, I always felt very well looked after by all of the tour guides and drivers that Hany arranged for me. The driver on the first day actually lent me money when I had run out due to all of the “tips” I felt I was expected to give. (On the first day of my tour, while I was at Giza, Hany called me to ask if everything was OK. He did that a few times while I was in Egypt to see if everything was going as planned. When he found out that the guide who worked for the stable I had rented the camel from had pressured me into giving far too much money as a tip, Hany demanded that the guide give me back some of the money.)

Hany said he had to readjust the plans we had made the first day I arrived because he was worried that I would not have enough time at Abu Simbel; thus, he would look into refunding one leg of me EgyptAir airfare. Regardless, I believe that the itinerary was better than what it was before and I would be seeing Aswan as well as Alexandria—two places I had not intended to go originally in the short time that I would be in Egypt. When I returned from my trip to see the various pyramids around Cairo, Hany then bought dinner for me at Kazaz (a fast food place similar, but slower, than GAD). He then took a great deal of his own time to lead me around the neighborhood to buy sun block, snacks, etc. He was patient while the nearby photo shop had a hard time burning a backup copy of my pictures. He really went the extra mile to take care of me and make sure I got what I needed.

If I had needs or concerns, they were dealt with quickly by the polite and helpful staff of Bella Luna / Hotel Luna. The curtain rod fell down in my room when I tried to open the window one morning and it was fixed by the time I got back to the hotel in the evening. When I wanted to make changes to the itinerary at the last moment, such as switch my day trip to Alexandria due to the big demonstration in Cairo on Friday or when I suddenly decided to head to the citadel in Cairo before my flight, I was accommodated. Hany even came along with me when I went to Alexandria because the driver did not speak very good English. On one occasion, Hany took pictures of me with his Blackberry because I was not allowed to bring my camera in to one of the sites. As promised, he posted them on facebook once I got back home.

I felt Hany did a great job to arrange the dream vacation I wanted in Egypt and He made every effort to make sure that I was safe and happy throughout my intensive tours. I paid around 700 LE per day when I went to Aswan, Luxor and Alexandria (but this did not include airfare, entrance fees and food). I should point out that these were not group tours and I could tell the tour guides what I wanted to see and how long I wanted to spend at each site (except the convey to Abu Simbel which was in a minivan). I believe it was worth the extra money to have my own private tours. I also think that the money I spent staying at Bella Luna was worth it as well. I have already recommended this hotel to some of my friends who are planning to visit Egypt in the future.

Thank you, Hany and all the staff at Bella Luna / Hotel Luna!

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back, away from the street, because they are much quieter. Try the Egyptian br...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Roermond, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I was in this hostel in September 2011.
I stayed there for 4 nights.
I had to pay € 72,00.
Including 4 nights, breakfast and transfer by taxi from and back to the airport.
It was very basic but clean and you had your own bathroom.It is situated in the middle of the center. You could walk to a lot of attractions.
The staff was very kind and helpfull.
And this all for only € 72,00.

I would do it again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Bella Luna? Share your experiences!