“Hostel Luna by Marlies Janssens” 3 of 5 stars

Bella Luna
27 Talaat Harb St | Downtown, Cairo 11111, Egypt   |
Ranked #41 of 131 Hotels in Cairo
Roermond, The Netherlands
“Hostel Luna by Marlies Janssens”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I was in this hostel in September 2011.
I stayed there for 4 nights.
I had to pay € 72,00.
Including 4 nights, breakfast and transfer by taxi from and back to the airport.
It was very basic but clean and you had your own bathroom.It is situated in the middle of the center. You could walk to a lot of attractions.
The staff was very kind and helpfull.
And this all for only € 72,00.

I would do it again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Gurgaon, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Beware of the manager who actually is the owner of this twin property - Luna & Bella Luna.

We spent two nights on Feb 17/18th, 2012 instead of the 4 planned because we were cheated by the manager/owner Hany. We had chosen this hotel after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor since our first choice Longchamps was not available, but were terribly disappointed.

The manager (who we later found out was also the owner) took money from us to arrange our 2 day trip to Bahariya Desert on promises of the best hotel (International Hot Spring as per TripAdvisor) in Bahariya and next day said it will be the Ahmed Safari Camp. When we protested, he said he can change it but that it will cost us USD75 extra!! We were upset and angry. When we said that we might want to cancel the trip completely, he asked us to think it over and let him know by the evening. We took him at his word and when we spoke to him in the afternoon, (i.e. before evening), to cancel the trip altogether, he said that he will refund all our money and leave it at the hotel reception. When we reached the hotel to pickup the money, Hany was not available and he had deducted USD50 supposedly for "services rendered"!!! We just couldn't believe it - no amount of protests/angry words/ demands to speak personally to Hany were of any use. After 30 minutes of this argument we gave up since there was not much we could do.

We also canceled our reservation for the balance 2 nights and decided to move to another hotel (fortunately we had not paid in advance for the 4 nights). Oh yes, before they returned our USD350, the staff took the payment for the 2 nights we spent there!! What a bunch of cheats!!

Hany, the owner, believes in smooth-selling trips to his guests. He has figured that a low price for the room gets him guests who are happy to believe him to take trips/tours as per his advice. So he has made it his business model - get guests in, sell them trips and make easy money. He went to the extent of telling us that Aswan to Luxor was a convoy-only tour even though (as we found out) it is no such thing. So beware of Luna/Bella Luna and its manager/owner.

What a start to a 12-day trip in Egypt!!

The supposedly refurbished Bella Luna has not much to recommend it except the location. It is in downtown and in the heart of the city - one can walk to Orabi Sqaure (and its restaurants), Tahrir square (and its dying protests), the Egyptian Museum and Corniche el Nil.

The hotel is on the 5th floor (we chose the more expensive, supposedly recently refurbished Bella Luna instead of the Luna) with a decrepit elevator that broke down after the first night. We had to carry our bags down 5 flights when we checked out - there was no help available.

The breakfast (for us vegetarians) Tameeya and fuul (both cold) and tea (also cold). The room was okay to sleep but obviously not for relaxing. The en-suite toilet was just adequate for its purpose

My advice - stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012 via mobile

No complaints and the managers were knowledgeable and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012
Nantucket, MA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I have stayed at a lot of hotels around the world and this is probably the best value i've ever come across. The rooms in the upgraded bella luna section only ended up costing me $25 a night and they are amazing! Two queen beds, a balcony, 25 foot ceilings, very spacious and free wifi. The staff is very friendly and willing to accomidate. Free hotel pickup if you stay for four nights(which is nice landing in cairo and not having to get a cab). The breakfast is not good, just a hard boiled egg, bread and coffee but who cares at this value. The exterior of the hotel is very shabby but the inside is clean and very well equiped. The wifi works great, in fact i'm using it right now from my room to write this review.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

My friends and me stayed here for 3 nights on our last visit to Cairo. The hotel is very different from any others hotels that you might have stayed at. But is a perfect value for money with spacious and clean rooms and a really good staff. It feels just like staying at home. The rooms are large and spacious and have a balcony attached to it. The hotel is located in the heart of the city with bustling traffic all around but the rooms are quiet.

The staff is very helpful. Had a lovely stay here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Some months ago, when I wrote a positive review of Bella Luna, Luna's slightly upscale counterpart two floors down, I wrote that I'd probably be happy staying at Luna as well.

This time I did stay at Luna, and I did have a pleasant stay.

I stayed alone in a back-side room with a balcony and a private bath. The room was quiet, clean, spacious, and comfortable.

Because some onward travel plans fell through, I stayed here longer than planned: ten days. I had a writing project to work on, and my room at Luna provided a good quiet place to work on it.

What I wrote of Bella Luna applies to Luna as well: "The staff were always friendly and helpful, the fellow guests pleasant."

Many thanks to Hany, Samy, Nesren, Omar, and Ahmed. They were always helpful and congenial.

One extraordinary feature of Luna: The whole time I was there, I never saw anyone from the staff smoking on the job. I meant to ask whether no smoking for the staff is a policy. In any case, the absence of smoke was very welcome. (Smoking is a prevalent habit in Egypt, and you can stay at hostels in Cairo where the staff smoke nonstop.)

Another Luna touch: In the lobby they keep the radio softly playing, and the music is -- my goodness! -- Western classical.

I don't eat hotel food, so I can't comment on the breakfast.

The location is central and convenient. The hot water worked fine. So too the elevator. And Luna always felt safe and secure.

Regarding the internet: At Bella Luna all the rooms have wifi. At Luna, not so. There's a public wifi space where you can log in. The connection is good and reasonably fast. In your room you may also pick up the Bella Luna connection or a connection that's not locked. But the signal won't be as strong, and you can't steadily depend on it.

I am happy to recommend Luna.

Room Tip: My back-side room was quiet. The front-side rooms, we hear, are less so. All the rooms have high cei...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
MANCHESTER
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I booked 11 days here from Mid Dec to 2nd Jan 2012. I travelled with wife and 2 daughters (aged 14yrs and 2 yrs). When we first arrived the hotel looked like a real dive and I wondered what I had let myself into. We took the lift to the 5th floor, but on our return to the 3rd floor my bag got caught in the lift (as the safety door wasn't closed) and destroyed my laptop. The hotel was kind enough to allow me to use their PC free of charge during the period of our stay. We had a pleasant stay as the room was excellent, cleaned daily with new bedsheets and towels. We all had a great sleep because the mattresses were firm and good quality (not normally the case in cheap budget hotels).

I also saw many people using the wireless - which would have been a big bonus for me too if I hadn't lost my laptop on the 1st day.

Note that the hotel is right in the heart of Cairo and although it says “quite room” you can still hear horns blaring away from 7am to 4am the next day !!!!! – so earplugs are essential !!! All the hotel staff were excellent througout our stay and I would like to extend special thanks to Ahmed Ambrok, Nesren and Hany Mosa. In conclusion.. you cannot go wrong for a hotel of this quality in Central Cairo for under £30 / night for a family of 4 ;-)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Bella Luna? Share your experiences!