“Basic value accommodation, reasonably clean and central” 3 of 5 stars

Cairo City Center Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 Champolion St | Downtown, Cairo 12421, Egypt   |
Ranked #79 of 131 hotels in Cairo
UK
“Basic value accommodation, reasonably clean and central”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

It is not 3 star standard as advertised. It is on 2 levels starting on 6th floor which is not apparent from adverts. Also there is NO restaurant/evening meal. Lift does not always work as people do not close it properly. They had acknowledged several days before that I was arriving late but the room was not prepared. There were several FT moments (work it out Brits) which on reflection you had to laugh at. Hard economic times but even with better organisation stays could be more comfortable. More variety at breakfast needed. You must expect noise and dusty conditions especially in downtown Cairo but it is a good base for a few days stay, and the girls (Fatima and Jasmine) speak English a little better but all staff friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Every room faces out onto the street I think so just pick one with a half decent bathroom. Adaptors...
Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We decided to see what Egypt was like even though all the troubles there, we were told Cairo was a good place. We found the Cairo city center Hotel extremely reasonable at only $25.00 per night. We only stayed for a couple nights but the room was amazing it was huge and the view from the balcony was wonderful especially as the sun was going down. We did a lot of site seeing and I even bought a burka (hope i spelled it right) to show my respect for the culture.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Great location in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the Tahrir Square area. Close to the Museum and Sadat Metro station. The staff are pleasant and helpful. Although no safe deposit box is available, they had no idea what it was?? The room was a good size but bathroom was very small and breakfast was just a roll and a drink. It has the feel of a hostel/ guest house rather than a hotel but ok for a night or two esp. for backpackers etc. The water went off intermittently and no apology was offered.

Also their claim that it is 'easy' to buy a train ticket at Ramses Station is not correct. Buying a train ticket to Luxor or Aswan is a major task and often sold out a few weeks in advance. An Egyptian friend told me that train tickets are now bought up by 'agents' then sold off on the black market at high prices, hence the difficulty in getting one. I think the Egyptian Tourist Board need to look at this, because I ended up flying down to Luxor due to the lack of train tickets on normal daytime trains.

The Cairo Metro is very good though and easy to use at 1Le to any station. Just 'queue' (or jostle) up to the ticket counter slam your 1 Le down and get a ticket then proceed through the turnstiles. Bear in mind though that many of the stations have changed their names since The Revolution so it's best to mentally count them through to make sure you get off at the right one!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Torino (italy)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Ok it is not the most faboulous hotel in Cairo, but...
1. Cheap (about 20 euro)
2. Clean
3. room 112 very very big with private bathroom and balcony
4. central location near tahrir place but in a quite street (my room) the others I don't know

It's on the 6 floor but there's an elevator so no problem to arrive in it

Room Tip: 112 it's in the small street not in the big one so.. quite, large and with balcony
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Tadley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was booked into the cairo city centre hotel for 7 nights but only stayed for 2. They refused to give me my money back for the 5 nights I didnt stay.
The room was disgustingly dirty which I probably would have put up with as I wasnt spending much time there.
The big problem came on the third day when after spending some time in the hotel lounge I went upstairs to get changed. Two men (one of which said he was the owner) barged into my room saying I had a man inside. (My Egyptian boyfriend was not inside, he was downstairs and was due to meet me in reception).
I am well aware of the rules of no men in a room without a marriage certificate.
Even though I explained that my room was empty and my boyfriend downstairs they pushed past me and searched my whole room. Even in the cupboards. I was extremely shocked and upset by having two men in my room and was really scared as to what they might have done to me. Obviously I could not stay there after this incident and had to leave despite them refusing to give me a refund for the 5 nights I had not stayed. I did not feel safe and was worried they might use the same excuse to come back into my room again.
My boyfriend threatened to tell the police but they didnt care.
This hotel is not safe for people and their attitude is disgusing.
I was totally stunned by how I was treated by these people. I have never felt like that in any hotel I have stayed in in Cairo before. Beware of this place and its awful staff.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Do not be put off by the building, which is a bit forbidding from the lobby. The hotel is well kept and clean, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Many of the rooms have balconies with very lovely views of the city. Close to the Egyptian Museum and the Townhouse gallery. The breakfast was poor when I was there, but there are bakeries nearby and I got a discount on the room as I bought my own breakfast. A nice place to stay with accommodating staff. I always felt safe and welcome there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Veere, Zeeland, Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Entrance and stairway/elevator didn't look promising (old & dirty), but the hotel itself, on the 6th floor, was adequately clean. We, family of 4, got two joined double rooms with private bathroom but be aware there are also bathrooms in the corridor which have to be shared. Our room(s) also included A/C. Do not expect a daily cleaning and daily fresh towels; we stayed for 4 nights and bought a cloth to sweep our bathroom floor. Only 1 sheet, 1 towel and 1 pillowcase per person was provided, leaving 1 (of 2) -dirty- pillows and the duvets uncovered. Beds are excellent but put in earplugs, because the noisy Cairo traffic with constant use of horns continues 24/7. Also bring your own toilet paper. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is included, but simple. Location is perfect, view (partly on the Nile) is nice. Very reasonable 'hostel price' for an adequate hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cairo City Center Hotel? Share your experiences!