“Not fancy at all” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 46 Cairo B&B and Inns
Alex
“Not fancy at all”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

the hotel is in the heart of Cairo, not clean, no cleaning service unless you request for your towels to be replaced, not enough toilette papers, bed is not so bad but still lacking cleaning..staff is helpful.. not so helpful though. lack of attention is noticed.. very cheap though paid 38 bucks for two nights.. which is considerably cheap.. good for a night till you sort out yourself in case you don't have booking..receptionist organised pyramids visit for me which i found to be acceptable and not much hassle i have encountered at the pyramids..:):):)

for a 3 stars claim, I would expect better cleaned rooms, I saw my self 5 Cockroaches..disgusting :(:(:(

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Pune, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Much spacious rooms. We were 10 in all & have asked for 5 twin rooms.We were given 3 & 4-bed rooms in place of twins! Some of them had too small bath rooms, like the elevator there, that is a different issue. Reception staff was extremely helpful. In fact, they provided vehicle (on payment) for airport transfers & local trips. All were arranged thro' e-mail. Since we had an early flight, the breakfast was also arranged accordingly. Great hospitality. Would love to be there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Craiova, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

MIDO! I own you one!
You are the BEST!
Greeting from Romania!
If you are not pretentious, check-in this hotel/hostel!
In fact, in Cairo, you only need a place of station, to rest, bath, change clothes, even have breakfast!
If you want luxury, check-in a ***** hotel!
I hope I will return there!

Room Tip: Decent accomodation!
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

The hotel is walking distance to the Egyptian Museum. They offer drivers for hire to take you to several sites, which I felt was safer than taking a random cab; since I was traveling alone, am a female, and can't speak Arabic.
The staff was kind and helpful. No frills hotel, but decent for the price and services.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Mumbai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

i booked this hotel thru their website which promised a free airport pick up if i booked for 3 nights or more, but at the airport there was no sign of them... i bought a local simcard and called them, but got some poorly made up excuses of the car having broken down (much later in my trip while chatting with a fellow traveller in siwa i learnt that this has happened before too!).... the staff was not friendly or helpful, and after getting a large comfortable room on the first night i was shunted out the next day to a tiny room with a lot of noise from the street below.... the breakfast was terrible but that seems to be the norm in almost all budget hotels in egypt!!
on the upside, the location is very convenient and the aircon worked well, and the first night i slept fine...
but the toilets were tiny and the plumbing was poor...
i would also not recommend taking the tours from the hotel as the prices are not very competitive.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I was a little leary arriving at this hotel after reading fellow TripAdvisors' reviews on the staff, service, reviews, etc. When I arrived at the hotel, the manager and staff were extremely friendly and helpful, then asked about our plans for our stay. They offered us a package that included a trip to Giza, Memphis, and Saccara (sp?), a Nile dinner cruise, walking tour, and transfer back to the airport when it was time to check out. All for 800 LE - for two people. Since I didn't know if that was a good deal or not, I declined, and then scoured the internet and talked to other tour people on the streets. It turns out, that the hotel offer was the best I'd come across - by a long shot. There are tour companies online offering just the Nile cruise for 800 LE or more. I talked to the manager again later that night, and I told him my hesitation about booking anything through them because of the reviews I'd read. He told me that they had recently switched tour companies and wanted to improve the hotel's reputation. We opted to do the walking tour on our own, so the total price was 700 LE for two of us, and we were glad we booked through them. Sure, you're still going to need extra cash to tip drivers, service, or if you want extras at the pyramids like horses or camels, etc - but as long as you get good at bartering, you'll get good prices on things.

As for the hotel rooms - ours was big, had TV, and was clean enough. For many Americans, they would think of the rooms more of a budget motel, but all I needed was a bed, shower, and toilet. We didn't see any bugs bigger than the tip of a pencil. It's Egypt folks, there are going to be bugs. But 10,000 scarabs didn't come out of the wall and eat us in our sleep like in the Mummy movies. The shower and toilet are in the same room, but it was fine, and everything worked. Our toilet flush got messed up and the light went out in the bathroom, but they fixed it right away once I told them about it.

Wireless internet was fast and in the lobby area - free if you have your own internet device. They also have a public computer that is free the first 10 minutes and then cheap after that if you don't have a computer.

My wife and I were very glad we stayed here. It's not a 4 star hotel, but it's cheap, and you'll get to know the staff if you're friendly. We actually went out one night with one of them as he showed us his city, his house, and smoked some sheesha (hookah) with him. If you want more comforts, spend the money for the four seasons, but staying here you feel like you're in an Indiana Jones movie in the center of Cairo. Lots of laughs and good memories.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
san francisco, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

We were afraid after reading some negative reviews about this place and rather inexpensive fare. But this place was quite alright. The people who complain forget that they are in Cairo, Egypt not in Europe or North America. If you want super bleached clean and fancy place, go ahead and pay for 5 star hotel. For money you pay (we paid something like $55 for 5 of us in two connected rooms), I doubt you can find better place in Cairo than this one. It is walking distance from Egyptian musuem. A block away from 'GAD' - an expensive chain restaurant we ate everyday.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Cairo Center Hotel? Share your experiences!