“Very good for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Berlin Hotel

Save Saved
You added Berlin Hotel to your Saves list
Berlin Hotel
2 El Shawarby St 4th Floor | Off Kasr El Nil St Down Town, Cairo 11111, Egypt   |
Ranked #36 of 131 hotels in Cairo
Fyzabad Village, Saint Patrick, Trinidad and Tobago
“Very good for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

If you are looking for low-cost but comfortable hotel,then Berlin Hotel is the place to go. I stayed there for one week and was very satisfied with the accommodation. My room was clean and spacious and the air-condition worked There was also a shower in the room. Although the toilets were shared, they were always spotlessly clean. The manager, Mr. Hisham, was always inquiring about my welfare and the staff was very attentive to my needs. Mr. Hisham was also kind enough to arrange several tours for me to popular tourist sites. Do not let the entrance to the building or the elevator throw you off. The hotel is good. If I have to go to Cairo again I would go there.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the main street.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Berlin Hotel is really a very good place. You can feel a wonderful atmosphere there thanks to the manager mr. Hisham and also thanks to all the staff. It is like the atmosphere of the "old good times". I felt better than at home. Things are handled in a very professional way. My rooms was spacious and with A/C. The hotel is clean and it is located in a very central area were you can find anything you need. I strongly reccomend to visit Berlin hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

i stayed here almost 2 months and i would stay again. conveniently located near three metro stns , restaurant, entertainnent, shopping and more.staff were great and helpful at all times. do not let the appearance of the building throw you off. the hotel itself is good.All my needs were catered to.

• Stayed March 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The owner Mr Yousiff was very attentive, a welcoming email and (as he was at home ill) regular phone calls to make sure I had everything I needed. The room was large with large windows, and a shower in the room. Toilets were nearby in the corridor. Overall staff were excellent and helpful. Mr Yousiff arranged two tours for me by taxi for 200EP, about £20, which I found very reasonable. It is two blocks from Tahrir Square and the Egyptian Museum, and easy access to all the other sites.
This is not a triple glazed International Hotel. If you want absolute quiet and the same experience you'd get anywhere else, then go International. This is a local hotel, some traffic noise though being on the 4th floor helps. The hotel covers this 4th floor, the building is old and has a great feel to it. High ceilings and unusual and local decor.
Staff were great and very helpful. Breakfast was simple and I'd recommend trying the local Turkish coffee, thick, with bits and very strong!
I'd thoroughly recommend this hotel, and will stay there again. Go for a slightly more expensive room, for $26 a night you get three beds and loads of room!
Tips for Cairo - it is safe and feels safe. Very few tourists and a great time to travel there. I had the 2nd pyramid to myself when i went! Locals are friendly and just pleased to see tourists. Be aware as a westerner you're a target for touts, avoid striking up conversations at the main sights, don't follow anyone to 'their cousin's shop', avoid any demonstrations (I saw none, but Fridays can be more of an issue), take the owner's advice on where to go and when. Simple good advice for any new city. I loved my first visit.

Room Tip: Ask the owner!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Nakuru, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I spent one night at the Berlin hotel our of four nights in Cairo and found it to be a lovely hotel with a very convenient location, fine accommodations, and a very helpful manager. Even when I was not staying at his hotel, he helped arrange a taxi hire to tour the pyramids, gave me a half-day rate for the day of my flight out, and was always very communicative and helpful. He was always completely honest and straightforward about the special arrangements and I felt that I always got excellent value for my money. I recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We spent three nights in Hotel Berlin and really enjoyed the warm welcome, spacious and atmospheric rooms and the excellent central location. The manager was very helpful - in English and German - throughout our stay and the tour organized through the hotel was good value and exactly what had been promised.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My partner and I spent two days in Cairo in late December 2012 and chose to stay at Berlin Hotel given its favourable reviews on this site and positive comments from Lonely Planet. Our expectations were definitely met and even exceeded by the wonderful service the owner Mr Hisham Yousef, his manager and the other staff provided. Hisham arranged a transfer from the airport for us for a fair price. Once we arrived at the hotel, Hisham spent time advising us on how best to travel around Cairo and avoid some of the common pitfalls faced by tourists. Our room was clean and very big and the shared bathrooms, of which there were many, were also spotlessly clean. The hotel is in a great central location, just a few blocks from the Egyptian Museum and various metro stations.

On our request, Hisham arranged a day tour, with one of his drivers, to see the Pyramids of Giza, Saqqara and Dahshur. Our driver was great; he even helped us purchase delicious and very cheap street food during our busy day. We had plans to take the night train to Aswan, visit Abel Simbel and cruise/sail down the Nile to Luxor and asked Hisham if he could arrange a tour for us. He very helpfully arranged for a recommended tour operator in Aswan to call us at the hotel. The tour operator did so very promptly and within 45 minutes we had a brilliant and very affordable five day tour organised. We are so grateful to Hisham for his assistance. It’s always nice to feel that the owner and staff of a hotel are on your side and happy to help you in any way.
Matt & Tessa

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Berlin Hotel? Share your experiences!