“Convenient & Low Cost” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #111 of 131 hotels in Cairo
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Convenient & Low Cost”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Bostan (correct) Hotel, downtown Cairo, is central to most places you want to visit: a couple blocks from the financial district with all the banks, close to the famous Cairo Museum, close (very short taxi ride) to Zamalek Island with all the better restaurants, not far from The City of the Dead. Central to The Citadel, and the ancient super market Khan El Khallili.

For $30/night you get a clean, quiet room where everything in the bathroom works.

They don’t pick you up at the airport, and you get no refrig. But you do get a reasonably new TV, and air conditioner that works perfectly. A large bottle of super chilled water across the street costs 3 EGP.

The roof restaurant is on the 12th floor. Breakfast is free and dinners are really delicious when the main chef is in, and they are cheap. There is always a cool breeze up there, and at night it’s heavenly. No mosquitoes.

Everyone speaks English. All staff members are courteous and friendly, except one. She is the very shortest one. She firmly believes she is the reincarnation of Cleopatra.

The Bostan has three computers on the main floor. They work well and cost 10 EGP per hour.

We always felt safe on the Bostan’s street: 94 Mohamed Farid Street. Getting a black and white Taxi was never a problem: quick and low cost.

We enjoyed it. It’s convenient. We were there four days, went to Luxor, and returned for four more days. It’s low cost, so we could afford to do more and see more places.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Khartoum
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

I was in Bostan Hotel from June 30 to July 6, 2009 for a leisure trip and I can boast that the Bostan hotel is a good place to stay while having a tour in the numerous tourist destinations in Egypt. They have an excellent and very accommodating staff and a tour packages which is really affordable to anybody. One thing I admired was thier hospitality to the guest especially the manager Mr Alaa. I have already recommended this hotel to my friends who are planning to visit Cairo. Peter (UN Police Advisor, Sudan)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

I would recomend this hotel to anyone travelling through Egypt. My girlfriend and I went to Cairo in March and then travelled down to the sudan and back up. On both legs of our trip spent in Cairo we stayed in the Bostan Hotel.

The people there were so helpful and kind. Made our stay very easy and relaxed, and it was very affordable.

If you are passing through Cairo and looking for somewhere clean, in a good part of the city for a couple of nights - look no further. This is the place for you.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

We stayed at the Bostan Hotel over New Year 2008/2009. We needed to find a hotel room on short notice and EVERYTHING in Cairo is either full or charges double that time of the year if you don't book ahead. We were refered to the Bostan by another hotel.

We paid 30 Euros a night at the Bostan (we later managed to negotiate the price down to 25 Euros for additional nights - still too much in my opinion) and I consider this to have been a seasonal rip off. If I wasn't desperate I would NEVER pay that much to stay at this hotel. In fact, I wouldn't stay here again, period. Unless I got it for free - maybe.

We stayed in a double room, as we are a couple (they claim that the rooms with 3 single beds are bigger and better, but I cannot comment as I didn't see these). The room was a tiny, dark, gloomy matchbox with one small prison-style window. The foam mattress wasn't the most comfortable - but okay, for a night or two. The room was really too small and depressing for two people to stay in and we ended up fighting lots due to the cramped conditions!! The bathroom was okay but leaky and wet and you try not to touch the wet shower curtain too much if you know what I mean ;)

Considering that you could be staying at the 5 times nicer Osiris Hotel at this price, I don't recommend it. Or book a bright spacious double room with private balcony at the Kings Palace Hostel - it's both nicer and cheaper!

On the bright side (there is always a bright side ;)

1)The room was clean. No hygiene complaints.
2)The roof terrace is nice (I didn't try the breakfast though so can't comment on that)
3)We organized a day trip to see Gaza and the step pyramid through them and were VERY happy with the quality of the driver and tour guide (Mohammed). The price was reasonable (can't remember the exact amount).

The staff try their best to be helpful, and are perhaps even a little TOO attentive. But then again, this is Egypt, get used to it!

• Liked — Satisfactory cleanliness; happy with day trip to pyramids booked through them
  • Disliked — Awful, cramped, box like room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Bostan Hotel? Share your experiences!