“Juliana hotel is good,reception guys were helpful” 5 of 5 stars

Mandarin Hostel
8 Ibrahim Nagib | Garden City, Cairo 11331, Egypt   |
Ranked #21 of 129 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
“Juliana hotel is good,reception guys were helpful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

hi guys .i am from mongolia,i visited to Egypt from 20 december to 25 december,i traveled with my girl friend and my best friend.we found that hotel Juliana from internet before we get there,when we arrived in cairo directly took a taxi to Juliana,everything was a awesome because hotel location is very near to Nile river and some wonderfull places such as Egyptian museum ,Tahrir square and some countries embassy u can walk to there ,not take long time.and hotel rooms are good service was not bad. of course it was queit difficult to see tourist places because we were new arrival in cairo,everytime we visit to markets and shops, they wr trying to sell their products wether products original and fake , pushed me to buy some fake things high price.everywhere ask me to give them some tips that was really funny. my girlfriend is too clever she is really good for make bargain and make deal with them for decreasing costs of tickets,product bla bla bla.if u make a good deal with manager u can satisfy what u pay for taking guides drivers.if i go to Cairo second time ,definetly stay in Juliana

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Szczecin, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

i stayed at the hostel from 24 march to 30 march because i had a conference nearby
1- the reception staff is helpful (specially the one with glasses > he is a tour guide by the way), they also help you to order food if you want .
2-the hostel is in a quiet area .
3- there is no nearby supermarkets (unlike the rest of cairo where normally you find supermarkets in every street . anyway a short walk to elkasr eleyni st,., will help )
4- i stayed in 2 rooms . the first one was no., 22 which was dirty and i complained so they gave me room 26 which of course is better , then after 1 night they asked me to move back to room 22 again .
5- the problem of the hostel is "cleanliness "
the housemaid does not clean properly . she does not know how to prepare the blanket o bed , the toilet was dirty and i asked her to give me the cleaning brush and the detergent and i cleaned the toilet personally.
6- the sheets are old and worn out of washing .no foot matress outside toilets
7-regarding the quality of sleep : in room 26 was good . in room 22 was not . i heard my neighbor snoring and another time making love !!!
8- the price was ok

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Colombo, Sri Lanka
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

be careful. the photos on the website are from some other hotel.
emailed confirmation of a room proved to be a lie and we were shunted off to another hotel owned / managed by the same team but with a requirement to pay more. After one night in the other hotel (where the Manageress seems to think paying customers were a liability) we were shunted back to the Juliana to an offensive room. totally unpleasant experience

Room Tip: don't make the mistake
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

OK this is how I truly feel about this hostel… I traveled with my sisters and there are four of us. We booked our space about a month in advance. Within hours I received an email from management confirming our stay and offering us a free driver to pick us up from the airport. It was nice of them to do so. When arriving in Cairo, which was about 3 hours off schedule, I was afraid that our driver would not be there. To my surprise he was. Ahmed was very friendly and he made us feel welcomed! So far so good. The place was what I had expected since I looked on “TripAdvisor” at the pictures taken by guest. My greatest regret was I didn’t listen to the advice about not taking their packages that they offer!!!!!. Now we knew not to get a tour guide but we did get a driver and dinner on the Nile at the time we thought we were getting a great deal. We paid about 200 Egyptian pounds per person for 5 days. We had the driver from 8 till 5 for those 5 days and he also drove us to Alexandria for a day trip. To be honest we would have never known that we had been swindle until we meet up with one of the people, at the pyramids, who we had dinner with on the Nile and we compared our cost with him. Oh, please don’t pay more that $30 to get into the pyramids!!!!! Don’t ask me how much they charged us, just say we got RIPED OFF!!!!! You see since there aren’t any set prices they can charge you what they want to charge you. Depending on when you arrive at the hostel and the receptionist that is there depends on what you pay. They have deals with the drivers and the business that they take you to. If you do have a driver and they suggest a place to go make sure there are set prices. If not they will charge you whatever and the driver will get a cut. When I confronted Muhammed about the issues he acted like it wasn’t his fault and to be honest it wasn’t. It was our fault even though we warned, we thought the best in people…. I will say after having a heated conversation with him he did give me a little our my money back but he made sure to blame it on the driver.

I know you might think that everybody will not be like that but I hate to say it 95% of the people are. All I can say is HAGGLE HAGGLE HAGGLE!!!!!

On the other hand Miram kept our room clean and breakfast was prepared every morning!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

The low budget "hotel" occupies part of a floor in a multipurpose building. Clearly, there are no building codes in Cairo because it seems someone bought part of a building to make into rooms. There is no common area so eating is done in the rooms. They are spacious. There are small balconies--ours did not have furniture on it and the beds were blocking the sliding door. The private bathroom was dirty as it looked like it had water/mildew damage. There was no separate shower area. The bathroom walls did not reach the top--look at the pics included on this site. You get what you pay for.

While the sheets had been washed, for some reason the top sheet was only about 3 feet across. I don't know when the blankets were last washed. The people working there were kind. You can use the microwave and stove to heat food. It is in Garden City which has some embassies. This is not like most embassy areas around the world. You still have the pollution, trash, and broken sidewalks of Cairo. Just a bit less noise and traffic since it is on a side road. There were no places to get food so the hostel can order food for you. While it is a mostly quiet stay--versus other parts of downtown, there isn't anything to do in the area. The professional photos on their website are very good. Check out the pics on this site.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Grafton Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We flew into Cairo on the 27th Nov 2011. We had booked the Juliana for our first stay in Cairo. Ahmed was there to pick us up as arranged (on booking the hotel they give you the option of free transfer to the hotel). This is simply a great little hotel, clean rooms, Miriam prepares a great breakfast, consisting of boiled eggs, fresh bread, fruit, spreads and cheese., plus tea or coffee or juice. The hotel is situated on the whole third floor of the building, so it was hard for taxi drivers to find it. There is a bank on the first floor. My husband and I felt like we were home when we stayed there. Jimmy, Ahmad, and Amir were all so friendly and helpful, The rooms are not huge but large enough for a couple, newly renovated bathrooms in each room, we stayed here on three seperate occassions while in Egypt for 5 wks. The one thing I really loved about it was you were free to make yourself tea or coffee anytime, and use the internet.
If you stay here you certainly get value for money. Location wise, its very close to the Egyptian Museum and Islamic and Coptic Cairo are a 15 minute drive. The only negative thing I would say is the lift often didn't work so we had to climb the three floors. Hany and his staff can organise tours for you.We took a tour to the four major Pyramid sites around Cairo, Giza, Memphis, Saqqara, and Dashur. which was terrific.

Room Tip: We had three different rooms, they have ones with balconies, and without, I'd ask for a balcony...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

My family and I had made reservations for Juliana hotel and it was a confirmed reservation! They even charged my credit card with an advance for this purpose. But when we landed, no one was there to pick us up- we were baffled as this was our first time in Cairo and we were being hassled by random taxi drivers and we had a two-yr old with us. My brother called the hotel and Hany at Juliana Hotel rudely refused that we had ever made a reservation with them. He was extremely rude too. We then made our way to our alternative- Museum View Hotel whose staff was quite the contrary. They made up for the terrible Juliana hotel service and even arranged our tours in Cairo and elsewhere while saving us a ton of money with which we could travel to places we couldn't fit within our budget. When we went to confront Hany about our advance, he claimed complete ignorance. We had to dispute the charge with my bank! Lesson learned and we would suggest you reconsider booking with Juliana hotel and book with Museum View Hotel and Easy Travel Egypt or other hotels.

Room Tip: We ended up staying at a different Hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mandarin Hostel? Share your experiences!