“Excellent place, clean, quiet and friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Mandarin Hostel
8 Ibrahim Nagib | Garden City, Cairo 11331, Egypt   |
Ranked #21 of 129 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Puget-Théniers
“Excellent place, clean, quiet and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

as it is my 6th time in Cairo, I tried many hôtels there, but if some were very nice and clean, most of them were vey crowdy. For the first time, I can say that I had peacefull sleep, which has no price in Cairo !
By the way, if you stay 4 nichts consequently, a taxi will pick you at the airport at any time.
The staff is more than friendly and as soon as you enter the place, you are considered as one of the family. Thanks to Ahmed, Jimmy, Mariam and Angie - sorry for the one I don't remember the name.
One thing was very important for me, as I get late : You can have your bereakfast from 8 am to 12 ! Even if you leave your room during afternoon, the room wil be cleaned.
I forgot to say that this is a small commun kitchen you can use, either to make sandwichs, make tea and so on ... whis is quite nice because you cannot always afford to go to restaurant, and sometimes you just need to eat salad or else.
At one time, I had small disagrement, as they did not have place for me when I got back from white desert. As I became friend with the coupe I went with, it was ok because we slept in a triple room.

Most of all, Hany the owner and his wife Marianne begun to run a brand new hôtel, which will be of course more expensive because 3 stars and view on Nile, but because of that desagrement I had with my room, they offered a night in this now hostel called "Nile season" - not "for seasons" even if it is very close. My God, I never slept in such a place in whole my life, I just felt like Sheherazade. This place is worth a 4 stars even if it is a 3 stars, and I thinks it would be perfect for honeymoon - Unlikely I'm too old for this -
Sorry if I've bee very long and I am so happy to know all those nice people that it looks as if I was doing advertising.
But jus all I said is so sincere !!!
Noelle

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
alberta, canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I used the hotel pick up, which worked alright although a little crowded. Rooms were clean, showers were a bit of a hazard to try and contain the water into the basin without a curtain, but the water was hot. Area was nice and quiet at night, about a block to the Canadian embassy, maybe a 10-15 min walk to Tahir square/Egyptian Museum. Breakfast is a little basic bread, jam, boiled egg, and coffee.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Stay here, this place is a hidden gem. The service here is amazing the staff are all friendly and do anything they can to help you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
shanghai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Well, I was supposed to stay here. I paid for a room here and had airport pickup service from the hotel. The guy met me on time at the airport, but little did I know that I had to wait 1 1/2 hrs for OTHER passengers to arrive and that we were all going to the hotel together. I kept asking the driver how much longer I had to wait, because on the site it said nothing about being a shuttle (vs.private pick up) and I would have rather stopped wasting time and gotten a taxi myself. Of course he kept saying ten minutes, so I waited. I had met the driver at the airport at 3pm--we finally got to the hotel around 5:45. I'm made to wait for the other guests (that I waited for at the airport) to check out their room and check-in (and in front of me they are haggling a room rate price, and of course they agree on a price much cheaper than I paid), and after 20min I'm told they have no more room for me and I have to stay down the street!! I had already pre-paid for my room on Agoda, and at this point, it was dark outside, and I had really had no choice but to go with it. Well, I totally got screwed and was sent to the New Garden Palace Hotel (see my review). Around 6:15pm I'm checked in to the other place, and my just nightmare continued. Suffice to say, I couldn't wait to get out of there. So, even though I did not technically stay at the Juliana, I can say that their service is horrendous, and that I totally got screwed by them. There are DEFINITELY better places to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

The Juliana Hotel is the best and most affordable option during your visit to Cairo. It's extremely clean, with large spacious and airy rooms, and not to mention the beautifully preserved original parquet flooring throughout.

The location is super secure and nestled within the ultra safe embassies area, and most of the main sites of interest, i.e the Egyptian Museum and the Nile cruise, are within walking distance.

The staff are amazingly friendly, informative, helpful and would bend over backwards to ensure all your needs are catered for. The hotel is extremely easy to find, you just need a little common sense, i.e print off the local area map from Google maps and check out Streetview. Stay here with confidence.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, I stayed here twice!
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

The Juliana Hotel offered us an experience of a lifetime. From Holland I traveled with a friend to Cairo to stay (in total) 13 days at this hotel. Our first impression was a good one, after great email contact (other hotels failed in this) they even arranged a FREE pickup service from Cairo International Airport, we arrived around 3 AM, and there he was. Waiting for us. We drove almost half an hour with our newly made friend Ahmed.

We had ordered a SUPERIOR DOUBLE WITH BATHROOM hotelroom. When we arrived at the Hotel our beds were made up, clean and tidy (get cleaned every 2 days), the bathroom was quite big, a welcome surprise. Also a balcony! Really big window view and ofcourse inside the room an A/C. The daily rates are really good ones, especially considering the location! Secure location in Garden City(even though we had no bad experiences in entire Egypte whatsoever) and its approximately 20 minutes of walking distance from the famous Tahrir Square where there is an abundance of things to do and see.

During our stay we (us being students of 22 and 23) got acquainted and even befriended with a lot of employees. They were friendly, really helpfull, and if you want they would even arrange tours and amaaazing nights out. If you really wanna discover Cairo, ask for Karim, the best staff-employee imho. He knows some great places to eat, some great photograph places and even though he thinks his English isnt as good as his brother, my friend and I both disagree respectfully!

Room Tip: If your travelling in pairs choose room number 14, we were told it has the best view
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We stayed in juliana hotel in Sep 2011 and honestly it was excellent ! It's Very Clean , Very friendly staff and very helpful too , Excellent location put you close to everywhere ! , very safe area and well secured located in the heart of GardenCity , all the staff were so nice and would do whatever they could to assist you ! , my wife and I are travelers and been to many countries and Juliana hotel standards are excellent and their rates are very convienent and good ! I'm consedring to stay there again next time soon i'm in Cairo !
Mina Megalla

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Mandarin Hostel? Share your experiences!