“Gorgeous view of the river Nile” 4 of 5 stars

Novotel Cairo El Borg
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Saraya El Gezira street Zamalek, Cairo 11111, Egypt   |
Ranked #33 of 134 Hotels in Cairo
Cairo, Egypt
“Gorgeous view of the river Nile”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

This is a relatively new (3 years old) 4 stars hotel in a central ( but also quite) location in Cairo, it is only 2 KM from Cairo antique Museum and lively Cairo centre. The hotel is on Zamalek Island on the banks of the river Nile. The hotel has a nice (but small) pool and an open air Jacuzzi. It also has a good SPA and good exercises room on the top floor. It also has a very nice café with excellent views of Cairo on the roof top. But you should also know that the hotel does not serve alcoholic drinks ( which is not a problem in Cairo, you can find it at any touristic restaurants around your hotel).Right in front of the hotel you will find many restaurant ships (not moving) featuring a variety of food with good quality, and the prices ranges between U.S.$ 20 – 50 ( without alcohol drinks). You can also ask the hotel to reserve a Nile cruiser dinner with show for ($ 35-50). Alternatively you can take a white taxi with meter fro the street in front of the hotel to Zamalek district 5-10 minutes drive to enjoy a variety of nice restaurants that is used to receiving tourists and expatriates ( you can ask your reception for names and directions) the average per person is also between $ 20- 40. A usual tips is expected and is around 10% of your bill (in addition to the service charges indicated in your bill) with a minimum of EGP 10. The hotel staffs are very friendly and the receptionists speak variety of languages. I would defiantly recommend it for short stays in Cairo and for business as well.

Room Tip: All hotel rooms has nice views, however I encourage you to book a room with a river view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this review, May 26, 2012
We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Cairo El Borg.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Turkish first
Beijing, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

The health club manager who overseas the rooftop cafe is incredibly rude. Instead of apologizing for the cafe not having any change (I only needed 10 pounds after paying with a 50 pound bill for a drink), he argued that guests who go to the cafe charge the bill to their room. I told him that if you take customers' money you should have change. After waiting an eternity for 10 pounds, he said that my attitude was bad when I tried to call reception to send the waiter back up with the change (the waiter went down without informing me). I stated that I wanted to speak to the manager and the health club manager states that he is the manager- the cafe waiter reports to him.

I went down to the front desk to ask for the hotel manager. After more delays from the front desk staff, the front desk office manager (as stated on his name tag) states he is the duty manager. This is clearly not the case because the duty manager's name is written on flatscreen TVs at the front desk.

I give up arguing, explain my situation (that the health club manager should not be complaining about my attitude when they are at fault), he said I am correct and that he will take action. Yeah right. I suspect that the staff cover for each other so guests cannot complain to the duty manager.

I go to the Intercontinental to have my meal instead. What a pity Novotel El Borg is in such a state. Service at Novotel in Beijing is really good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Cairo El Borg. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Abdellatif
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

We had originally planned to stay most of our time in Cairo at the Novotel. The location in Zamalek, just across the bridge from the Egyptian Antiquities Museum is excellent while being just far enough from the protests to help us feel secure. We wanted someplace that fulfilled these criteria, had a pool and was reasonably-priced. The Novotel seemed a good bet.

When we showed up, the main areas of the hotel are attractive (especially the rooftop hot tub and seating area) and well-kept (although the pool looked a bit rough around the edges and could do with a bit of extra cleaning).

Management didn't have the two non-smoking rooms for us that we'd requested and, with allergies, this was absolutely necessary for us. In fact, they said they only had one non-smoking room in the hotel, which was Nile view, we had requested city view, and it was a suite. This ONE room is what they offered us for the price of the TWO rooms for the four of us and they were insisting that this was an UPGRADE for us. Um...no....the suite ended up meaning that we had one actual bed, a fold-out couch and a rollaway bed...hardly the same as two rooms, We were tired and wanted to just settle so we went with it, albeit grudgingly, because it was the only non-smoking room option. We should have just switched hotels at this point.

Although the Nile view was nice, it wasn't something we weren't particularly looking for here (we'd had an unbeatable Nile view in Luxor) so it didn't feel like a bonus. The room itself had several items which didn't work, including both phones, several doors, etc. The downstairs restaurant was the last straw. My family went downstairs in the evening to get some drinks and dessert. It took them well over an hour to get served (not that the place was busy or anything) and when the food arrived, the crepes were cold and the cake was incredibly stale. Service was grudging and in no way apologetic.

We cancelled our subsequent nights at the hotel and when we spoke with the front desk about doing this, they didn't even care to ask why. Yeah...no more Novotel for us. Nice customer service. Thank goodness we left because we stayed in some really amazing hotels instead of continuing to feel frustrated at the Novotel. I would not recommend this hotel. For slightly more money, you can stay somewhere MUCH nicer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sir

We appreciate your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Stayed there with my spouse to celebrate her birthday. Overall it was a near perfect experience.
-Location is great overlooking the nile & cairo (including tahrir sq. and the egyptian museum)
- we stayed on the 7th floor (suite 7011) highly recommended
- @bar cafe on the rooftop is just amazing for an afternoon coffee
- front office were really nice (Mr. Ahmed Gamal), the hotel gave us a complimentary upgrade to suite to celebrate the occasion
- hotel is just a walking distance from a dozen restaurants
- breakfast was average... needs improvement (but you can always have breakfast anywhere else in zamalek or downtown)
- room service were always smiley and helpful
- the fridge was broken, and when we ordered maintenance they got us a new one, which was also broken (so we lost hope and ordered a bucket of ice:))
- will definitely go back there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir

Cordoba, Argentina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

hotel was nicely located and a great price. but that is all we liked here. the main problem was the smell of the room. didn't seem like they washed the sheets. we stayed also at the sofitel. price was more expensive, but i think well worth the stay.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this review, July 7, 2012

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Stayed here more than a year ago because I wanted to book in a more quiet side of Cairo. White and clean-looking bedsheets also matter to me when booking a hotel so I chose Novotel El Borg. When we got there, I felt that it wasn't as great and clean as I expected from the online pictures I saw. The hotel looked shabby from outside, but the lobby was good. I loved the breakfast, especially the scrambled eggs and fuul! Our room had a nice view of the park and Cairo Tower, but I would have loved it if the bed looked cleaner, newer, and more tidy. I found the mattress too soft and probably worn. The toilet was clean. There's a nice strip of restaurants called "Nile City" just a few minutes walk away. I'm not really sure how to rate the location as we were always picked up by Amir, our Tour Guide from Ramses Travel (who provided excellent service, by the way!). I think this hotel is fine for short trips!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this review, July 13, 2012

Abdellatif Gebril
Spokane, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

This is probably the most sterile hotel I have ever stayed in, It has no ambiance of it's own at all. It also is set up very strangely, the elevator is around to the back in an alcove, the restaurant is the restaurant and the bar at the same time but there is no alcohol at all in the hotel so why call it a bar. It has no real amenities to speak of the whole hotel is just sterile no character of it's own in fact I did not have a good feeling about it I worried the whole time I was there. Yes it has a good Nile view but nothing else. The food was poor the desk people were generic and the gift shop sky high in prices. I only stayed there because the price is right but never again.
Collie

Room Tip: The Nile river rooms are very noisy so if you'd like quiet ask for another room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this review, July 13, 2012

Abdellatif Gebril

Been to Novotel Cairo El Borg? Share your experiences!