“very good downtown location” 4 of 5 stars

City View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 El Bostan St. Downtown, Cairo, Egypt   |
Ranked #26 of 131 hotels in Cairo
Nairobi
“very good downtown location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Overall, the hotel was excellent value for money. I arrived very early (7am) and they were able to get me into a room after only a short wait. The room was big with a balcony overlooking Tahrir square. So it was a little noisy but that is to be expected. The bathroom was small but very nicely designed and clean. The little restaurant was open most of the day for coffee and tea, but I mainly had breakfast there. They have free wireless plus computers that you can use for 10 pounds/hour - however they let me use it for a few minutes for free because I needed to download a document. They even printed the document for me with no extra charge.

The only drawback was when I left I paid $15 USD for the taxi (which was better deal than I could arrange) but the taxi driver complained that they hotel only paid him 50 Egyptian pounds. It put me in an awkward position. but this was minor issue.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
CityViewH, General Manager at City View Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
First of all we would like to thank you for your nice review written on Trip Advisor, it was so kind of you.
Really we got very disappointed after reading your review on trip Advisor because we do all our best to make our clients get more comfort and nice stay in City View Hotel.
As we are the management at City View we have to read your review carefully and we go through an investigation for the point of weakness to improve it to help every single client satisfy as much as we can. In your case you are right because the transfer from our hotel to Cairo
Airport is costing only about $9 so we owe you $6.
Kindly accept our apologize that's why we will refund the all amount $15 back to you. Please try to send us how can we give you back the $15 as a kind of feeling sorry for this critical position that you had it with the driver.
One point I want to explain that was happened because of our new worker who still getting a training to work as a receptionist and he agreed with you for $15 to arrange a transfer for you.
Anyway we explained to him and I assure you that will never happen again. Thank you for understanding our situation and appreciate your time to read our reply.
We do apologize again as we are very sorry for what happened. We are waiting an email from you explaining how can we send you back the $15.
Thanks and all the best
City View Hotel Management

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Arabic first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

What a great place - friendly staff and clean, cool and spacious rooms with a prime location.

The staff could not be more helpful and arranged a tour our of the city for me which was perfect.

Make sure you have breakfast on the balcony for the amazing view of the Egyptian Museum.

One piece of advice- the hotel is on the 5th floor but Cairo is noisy from very early morning - so if you do not want an early morning wake up pack some earplugs. Not a fault at all of the hotel, that's Cairo for you!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed in this hotel 25-28 of April 2013. Very good value for money. Perfect location in the center of Cairo, from my room I overlooked the Tahrir Square and Egyptian Museum. The room was nice and clean. Cairo is not a quiet city, so if you open the window you can hear the street noise. But it didn't bother me, since I sleep easily and was tired in the evening, so I slept like a stone till the next morning.

The staff was very friendly, Mr. Marco is very professional and especially I want to mention Mr. Mohammed, he was always very friendly and can also speak a bit of German and Tarek, it was very nice to talk with him, he cared about food and brought me tea.

The breakfast was ok, I used to eat the Egyptian food like foul or falafel. The European breakfast like toast, jam and coffee could be better.

The hotel has a free pick up service from the airport, which I think is very helpful in Egypt. The driver, Hassan, is also very friendly and speaks English quite good. For 40$ he can drive you around Cairo the whole day.

Finally if you travel to Egypt take into consideration that you have to inform yourself about the prices there and how to behave. You have to negotiate everything in advance and very clearly. For example in Cairo use the white taxis and insist to use the meter, from Tahrir to Christian old Cairo I paid 12 pounds (maybe it's also less), Tahrir to airport about 50 pounds.
On the street some people come to you, don't talk with them and don't trust anyone, don't believe anything no matter how friendly they are. The souvenir shops they try to pull you inside commonly sell very low quality things to excessive prices, verndors will be very insisting, tell you stories about the quality of their goods, offer you tea and don't let you go until you buy something. I found just one shop offering some nicer things to acceptable prices (I think), in any case you have to bargain. I think you have to be local to know where to find good things and to know the correct prices. Giza was the hardest place. Don't follow anyone there, better don't go alone there!!
Anyway it is a nice country and there are many nice people and if you are interested you should visit there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Spent two weeks at City View in April 2013.
Found a small, friendly hotel with a good location and excellent service.
The room was spacious and clean with a nice balcony with view over
Tahrir and the Egyptian Museum. The staff always friendly and helpful.
Flat screen TV and modern bathroom. Excellent concierge service.
Good and appetizing egyptian/european breakfast buffet.
I will definitely stay at the City View again, when I return to Cairo.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Draper, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and we chose it because it was cheap and we were just passing through to Marsa Alam. Cairo in itself is a huge city, busy and dirty with a lot of poverty. I liked the location of this hotel, 15 minutes from the Giza pyramids, a short walk to the Egyptian Museum which is worth seeing and close the the Nile River. We had two tours booked from another tour company. We did a 2 hr Camel Ride Tour to the Pyramids to see the sunrise with the first tour. The second tour we ended up canceling with the first tour company and using the City View Hotel tour to do a City Tour which was really neat and they did a good job. On that City tour we chose not to stop and eat lunch because we were out in the middle of now where. We saw people fishing in a river that had dead animals and trash everywhere next to it and in it. We saw children playing on and around huge garbage piles. We didn't trust any of the restaurants outside from City View Hotel to eat. The food at City View was okay, we had better food in Marsa Alam. I am glad we saw Cairo because of the pyramids, mummies and culture, but I am not aspiring to return there unless we are passing through again to the Red Sea. The hotel had a weird smell to it. The elevator barely worked. There was a bug light catcher in the foyer for mosquitoes, which looked bad and was noisy, but I am glad I never got bit by a mosquito. Our room was really dirty- probably the worst we have ever stayed in. The toilet was used and unflushed when we arrived. The beds were hard and small, but we found this to be true with a nicer hotel in Marsa Alam as well. We slept with ear plugs because of the city noise, however we are not use to noise at home. If you are from a big city and like that white noise with honking even at 3am in the morning, then it probably won't bother you.

You have to pay to use the bathroom anywhere you go in Egypt. Everybody is looking for a handout. Even the tour operators will tell you where you should and should not shop because they get a commission. We are American, but on the city and pyramid tour the tour guide told the guard we were German. I am glad the guard didn't ask us because I don't know one word in German. He wouldn't have let us through if he knew we were American. I had heard to ask for a "White" Taxi where they actually have a meter that shows you the cost instead of the taxi cab driver trying to overcharge you like they all do. When we asked for a white taxi they will say yes I have one, then they will act like they don't know what you are talking about after you get in and they won't have a meter. Try to get a price of the cab ride before you get into the car. Egypt in general likes Cash for everything. The only place that really took credit was the hotels. Even the tours wanted cash.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CityViewH, Guest Relations Manager at City View Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Susan

Its Marco from City View Hotel (Reservation Manager)

First of all I'd like to thank you so much for your review that has been so helpful for us to improve our performance in the future. I looked for your arrival date and got that you came on October 11th 2012, till 13th of October (first stay), and then you had a second stay on the night of 28 of the month, so I got a point that I want to discuss with you. If you didnt like the hotel from the first stay, kindly let me ask a question you why you came back again for second stay? !!..
As you mentioned in your review that you didn't like the mosquitos killer (machine), do have another way to protect our guests and to get rid of the mosquitos, I think its very useful because you yourself you didnt get any bites. For your information in the current year we have a new system of cleaning for all the hotel areas, rooms, and lobby...Try to remember when I met you by chance in fornt of the hotel gate (with your friends) and you told me that you didnt like the hotel where you were staying before and you liked to come back to our hotel again, so I was happy to rebook a room for you for the second stay. I my self remember what happened exactly when I met you personally in the street. Kindly accept all my gratitude for your precious time and for the review on our preferable site Tripadvisor. I hope to see you again peacefully in our hotel.
Cairo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

The location of this hotel used to be good, but due to the current political situation it would be better to not stay near Tahrir Square. The rooms are OK, beds are comfortable. Unfortunately the breakfast is terrible (food quality) and the staff seemed to be friendly only if you give them a proper tip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Andreas

Its Marco from City View Hotel.

Thank you for time writing a review on Tripadvisor. I read your review in which you mentioned that the breakfast was terrible, ok, but how come if the hotel was full in these days and we didn't any complain from our gusts about breakfast during your time stay, only you complained.
I ckeched the daily breakfast list then I found that you had your breakfast everyday. I'd like to let you know that we got positive reviews and comments for the breakfast on the same days of your stay.
Could you tell me which food itmes you didnt like? or what do you mean of food quality becuase as you know we are serving differnt itmes and variety of foods for our open buffet everyday.
Second point I want to discuss with you is that you mentioned staff is friendly only if there is a tip, I think you have sen that every one had a name tag hanigng on his unfiorm can you tell the name of the guy who did that (which deprtment, restaurant, bellboy, housekeeping...etc) promise he will be fires. If you have time please try to read our review regarding the staff. The staff is always friendly in all cases. Really thanks again for the review and I hope to see you in our hotel again.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Well located for Tahrir Square and Downtown, the hotel sits snugly on the 5th floor of an office block. Simple but comfortable rooms with little balconies overlooking dusty and chaotic streets below.

I must confess to a mild feeling of house-arrest due to the supervised lift system and the over-enquiring staff - but to give benefit of any doubt, this could have been genuine concern for guests' safety due to the hotel's proximity to Tahrir Square and its ever-present inflammable mood.

I slept well and generally enjoyed the place - until settling the bill. The agreed internet rate as a cash transaction requested by the hotel manager as a favour suddenly suffered a price-hike thus necessitating rebooting the AppleMac to disprove the benefits of cash settlement. This was followed by a commentary on Egypt's political and economic situation - which I took to be as some sort of plea bargain. I give him an old-fashioned look and our mutually sour feelings hung around the lobby ...

My preference in future would be to stay a little way out and use the reliable metro system to get to downtown.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to City View Hotel? Share your experiences!