“Disappointing stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 131 hotels in Cairo
Australia
“Disappointing stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is close to airport.. That's about as good as it gets. Second time staying here and still a disappointing experience. Rooms very small and quite old. Had a wedding party outside in garden area which meant I heard loud drums for 15 min at 1030pm on a Sunday night. No warning prior to this at check in. Hotel over charged for my room service burger which tasted worse than KFC! Later fixed when I complained. As a presidents club member would expect lot better. Will not stay here again.

Stayed March 2013

283 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Chelsea, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This beautiful hotel is only a 10-15 drive to Cairo airport so fantastic location if you have a morning flight.
Upon arriving at about 11 am we were immediately given access to our rooms. We had an adjoining room with our adult daughter. Our room only had a shower (quite expansive) but the daughters had a large tub which I utilized to soothe my aching bones after days of touring. Beds were very comfortable. Our room had a king size bed and the daughters 2 full size. Top notch cleanliness and nice toiletries as well as in room coffee and tea. We were advised by our tour guide, who is VERY picky about hygiene, that the ice in the hotel was fine to use.
We had lunch in the Leonardo restaurant which was pretty authentic Italian. The hotel has 6 or 7 restaurants with different cuisines. Breakfast opened promptly at 6, which was fortunate as we had to leave the hotel at 6:30 for a 9:30 international flight.
After lunch we visited the Citadel and Mohamed Aly Mosque so we were tired and ordered room service which was delivered promptly and was also very good.
Enjoyed walking around the lobby area...gorgeous.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FairmontTowers, Manager at Fairmont Heliopolis, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
On behalf of Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers, I would like to thank you for your above kind words. We are delighted to learn that you’ve enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and that you’ve found our rooms very clean and bed very comfortable. We are also so glad to know that you’ve had a fine dinning experience at Leonardo our Italian restaurant and that you’ve enjoyed our 16 diverse cuisines.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back very soon at Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers.

Stay connected with us via our Facebook Fan Page: Fairmont Heliopolis & towers, Cairo & Twitter @fheliopolis!

Warm Regards.
Internet Marketing Manager
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Being part of the famous Fairmont group I had high expectation about the Fairmont Heliopolis in Cairo. However they were completely shattered at check in where I was told in spite of arriving at 8:30 pm my room was not ready! I was reassured that they did have my booking as to make me feel pleased that at least I had that. I was not and neither was a colleague of mine. After some arguments, voila they did have two rooms ready. The room was ok but looked tired and in need of a renovation but the bathroom was nice. The room was facing away from the busy road in front of the hotel which I though was good, but here I was very wrong! At the back of the building they have a conference room called Jasmine which they use for weddings. I was on the 6th floor but the thumbing music could still be heard and I am sure all rooms facing this conference room can too! I was very tired so did not want to change rooms and used my earplugs. I did wake up at around 4am and the music was still going strong then. The next two days the exhibition I was participating in was held in the Jasmine conference room so no weddings then. However the noise came back with a vengeance the day we vacated the room. This time I had enough I mean who do the hotel owners think they are charging a lot of money, calling themselves a 5 star hotel when you they cannot even do the basics of a hotel i.e. give their guests a good night sleep!!!! I have noticed that some other guest had complaint about this on Tripadvisor in the past. Back then the weddings were held around the pool so they have now simply moved them around the corner to the Jasmine conference room. I called to ask for the duty manager which was an effort in itself and took about 30 minutes but I later found that this was because the phone in my room was not working properly. He did say he would go and ask the wedding to turn down the music. I know he did do that as I could, from my room, see him going over to the conference room and back. The music went down in volume for about 10 minutes and went back to the same level as before. I now saw further complaints was fruitless so asked for a room change which I got and the time was now 1:30 am, and I had to get up early to visit the pyramids which is something I had looked forward to for a long time! When moving into my new room I understood that I had been upgraded as this room was half the size of the other and facing the busy road in front of the hotel. However my earplugs could drown out the road noise so I did manage to get some sleep.
One of the pool was closed but since it was not really pool weather I did not mind. The whole pool area looks quite tired too and in need of a facelift. Some nice cafés around the pool where you can get a beer and smoke sheesha but the staff are really slow and indifferent which can be said for most of the staff I encountered. An example of this is when I ordered a Chiken Tikka Masala from room service which came with no plate or spoon. I called room service to get this and neither they nor the member of staff who bought my plate (never did get a spoon) could understand why I was not happy to eat directly out of the serving bowls. I know this is small thing but the Fairmont is a five star hotel and part of the same chain as the Savoy hotel in London and in light of this it is big thing! Also the cleaning of the room was sporadic and twice they left dirty cleaning cloths behind.
The only reason I am not giving it a “terrible” rating is the lobby which is shared with the much plusher looking Fairmont Towers which is amazing and has a huge variety of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here for the last two days of a long trip to Egypt. We chose the Fairmont Heliopolis because of its close proximity to the airport (it was a very quick trip for catching an early morning flight out of Cairo - 40 minutes from hotel door, through airport luggage checking and security, and into gate lounge!). The Lebanese restaurant we chose was very good at the hotel, all the staff were extremely courteous, and the room was the nicest we stayed in of any on our trip. Only downside, which we found to be common to all the hotels we stayed in in Egypt, and especially off-putting to some American travelers, is the ever-present smell of tobacco smoke in the lobby and common areas. We asked for a non-smoking table in one of the restaurants and got it; however, it was open to the lobby area and the smoke invaded our dining experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontTowers, Manager at Fairmont Heliopolis, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are so pleased to learn that you’ve enjoyed your stay at Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers, Cairo and that you liked our Lebanese restaurant Al Dabke. We are also grateful for your comments about our accommodation facilities and staff. Regarding your concern about the smoke in the lobby, kindly note that your comment has been taken into consideration by the hotel management. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that have happened

On behalf of Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers staff, we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Manager Internet Marketing
alexandria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is my first stay in this hotel it was a scientific meeting and we were a large group booked through a pharmaceutical company, The booking was confirmed about two months ago and it was gonna be very easy to check inn. When we arrived we sat in the group front desk and the front desk employee ( I won't mention his name) told us that the system was down since yesterday and that nobody will be able to check in now also because the rooms are being cleaned he said it in a way which made me feel we are gonna be imprisoned not checking in. Of course the system was down and he depended upon some papers with him which he didn't try to search well in them some of us checked in at 2:00 pm (I was one of them), but others checked in at 9:00 pm . It was so easy to count the rooms which were already booked and distribute people present among them. And believe it or not how they knew that rooms were vacant. They sent someone to ope with the master key to check and sometimes he opened the room while someone was in, really it was a comic show, but all of this I can forgive as the system was down but the way and the impatience which the front desk employee treated us was terrible. Despite of this the hotel was very nice the rooms were luxurious but small. The room amenities are nice. Something comic happened also, After I returned to my room at night, I found it clean and neat but the housekeeper had taken all the shampoo and shower gel and didn't replace them of course they brought them to me whe I asked for. Otherwise every thing was marvelous. The lobby was marvelous with natural light. The pool was nice, very nice hotel but I think they are not ready for groups and also needs more decent front desk emloyees.

Room Tip: The pool view from the third floor was nice
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

No room keys. Can u believe this?? And the front desk is full of amateurs. They don't know what to do or when to do it three taking to one customer then suddenly leaving to talk to another without finishing the first. The manager seemed rude enough to ignore that he had a problem. Definetly a managerial issue yet the location is good and the infrastructure of the hotel is promising. Just needs taking care of it. That is all

• Stayed March 2013
New Westminster
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I came to Cairo on February 12th a few days ahead of a tour of Egypt we had initially booked in 2011, but had to cancel back then. I was looking forward to going out before our tour and checking out a few things before hand. The timing of our trip landed us in Cairo the day after the 2nd anniversary of the revolution. The hotel itself is very comfortable, the staff friendly, and the food though expensive was very good. We tried to book a tour from the concierge to go to the Museum ("no"), Old Cairo ("no"), and a couple of other places ("no") all with the same reason, they were worried that it was unsafe to go. But we finally got them to book a tour to the pyramids. And a couple of side trips to the City Stars Mall.

One thing I will recommend, if you like adventure... go check out the Mall. And then take a cab ride back to the hotel. A cab ride in Cairo is an experience unto itself. There wasn't much of anything within walking distance of the hotel, it being an airport hotel. But for a kick off hotel for our tour, the Heliopolis fit the bill. One little complaint, very minor. The hot tub in the fitness centre. Should really fix the jets on the one on the male side. 2 working ones just doesn't do it. Other than that, our stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontTowers, Manager at Fairmont Heliopolis, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for writing your valuable review. We are delighted to learn you liked our cuisines and found our staff friendly.

Regarding your concern about the fitness center, kindly note that your comment has been taken into consideration by the hotel management. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that have happened.

We hope to welcome you very soon.

Warm Regards,
Manager, Internet Marketing

Been to Fairmont Heliopolis? Share your experiences!