“Mixed Feelings..” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Austin TX
“Mixed Feelings..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont the last day of our Egypt trip (31st Dec). The location is really good if you want to be closer to the Airport (about 15 mins away). It was booked through our tour company 'Memphis'. We didn't spend a lot of time at the Hotel, but here is my impression:

Pros:
- Huge beautiful Hotel with many Restaurants choices
- The best Shisha (most expensive too) was at the Egyptian Restaurant at the Fairmont (Egyptian Night).
- The People are courteous and service is prompt and nice
- The lobby and for that matter all of the Hotel is well maintained and very beautiful
- There is a Casino (yay)

Cons:
- If you are booking through a tour company, be prepared as the room you will get will be the most remote one, not so well maintained
- The shower took about 20 mins or so for the Hot water
- There were not enough towels (just one towel for 2 people) and no bathrobe or anything in the bathroom
They did bring in what we needed when we called the room service but I should not have to ask for the basic things in a 5 star hotel. :(
I am not sure if it was due to boking through a tour company, but for a impressive hotel like the Fairmont, the room maintainence was a bit of a disappointment.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed here overnight as we were flying out early the next day. The hotel is 10min away fro the airport but we did not hear any noise. We were offered a welcome drink while we checked in. There is free Internet throughout the hotel. There are a lot of restaurants in the hotel, but we did not try any. Since we were leaving very early the next morning, we could not try the breakfast buffet (included in our rate), but we could choose if we wanted to have Egyptian or American breakfast delivered to our room instead. There was just an issue with housekeeping, there were stains below the toilet seat. We reported it and a member of the staff came to clean it. We found that unacceptable for this kind of hotel, but housekeeping issues seem to be consistent throughout Egypt. I would stay here again if flying out early the next day, but not to visit touristy sites.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FairmontTowers, Manager at Fairmont Heliopolis, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your valuable review. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay at Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers.

Regarding the housekeeping, we do apologize for any inconvenience that has occurred and we look forward to welcoming you soon at Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers.

Best Regards,
Manager, Internet Marketing
El Gorah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I travel to Cairo several times a year and always stay at the Fairmont. It has a reliable and free shuttle to the airport. Each time I've arranged pickup from the airport on my returns to Cairo, hotel staff have met me, gotten me through luggage retrieval and customs quickly, and to the hotel safely. The airport service by hotel staff is excellent.

The rooms are always clean and fine. The check in process and staff are always friendly and helpful. The restaurants and breakfast and staffs are always wonderful. I can't find fault with any of that or the people involved.

My problem with the Fairmont Heliopolis is its inconsistency...despite my membership in the hotel's loyalty program.

One stay, staff will see and recognize that I have a request for a queen-size bed on my profile. The next stay, I'll get a room with two single beds. One stay, I'll get my morning newspaper. The next, I won't. One stay, I'll go to check out and will be greeted and helped in the order of my arrival to the desk. This last stay, in December? I got to the desk to check out, and waited for 30 minutes, while staff took every person who came to the dek after I did!!! I tried to get the concierge to help...he wouldn't. My partner and I both tried to get staff's attention...they ignored us. We finally got someone's attention when they were told we were holding up the shuttle bus to the airport. Maybe it was because I was the only woman customer in a sea of men, I don't know. No matter why, I will rethink staying here from now on, starting with my return reservations in January. There are plenty of other good hotels in Cairo at which to spend my money and get decent, consistent service.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any weddings taking place outside at the pools. If so, ask for a room inside, away...
Copenhagen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Having stayed at the Fairmont Heliopolis Cairo multiple times, I have come to the conclusion that it is very possibly the most reliable hotel in Cairo. Service, facilities, fast and reliable internet connection (wifi all over the property) works at this hotel close by the Cairo Airport.

When you become a Presidents Club member, you get even better service.

Things work here. Sure it is a bit annoying to be paying Scandinavian prices for bad coffee in any of the many restaurants or cafés, but then be sure that the coffee is consistently bad and overpriced.

As I have spend a lot of time in Cairo in the past years, I must, however, say that the overpricing of car/limousine services is bit too much. The hotel would do well to lower the limousine service prices by 20-30%. And probably see a significant increase in volume if they did.

Overall I can recommend this hotel.

On the contrary room pricing is very fair, especially if you take advantage of last minute discounts, which Fairmont Heliopolis seems to be promoting quite frequently.

Room Tip: The Fairmont rooms are just fine.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed here in transit as most people seemed to do. The hotel is right under the flight path of the airport but inside we didn't hear a thing. Out by the very good pool complex it was a different story. the room was good with a poor view but comfortable and enough space.

The most memorable aspect of our stay was the exceptional service. We had two (different) problems and they were both attended to promptly and expertly. We left with a good opinion of this hotel and of Fairmont.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FairmontTowers, Manager at Fairmont Heliopolis, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
On behalf of Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers, I would like to thank you for the above words. We are glad to know that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and exceptional service. We understand your comment regarding the room view; hence, in an effort to enhance the experience of all our guests, the hotel offers guests pool and garden view rooms upon their request.

Stay connected with us via our Facebook Fan Page: Fairmont Heliopolis & towers, Cairo & Twitter @fheliopolis!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers.

Best Regards.
Internet Marketing Manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

The cafe on the pool is nice but the very very bad service spoiled the view.. And the manager called Amir was unprofessional and rude. They kept us standing for a long time, after we complained they got us an unclean table, offered 1 menu and we were 2, it took us ages to get to a waiter, we complained to the manager Amir he respond in a very challenging and offensive tone, standing all the time on the phone with his hands in his pockets. when a third person came they didnt come with a menu he asked the shisha man to call a waiter for him but in vain we called the manager Amir again and told him we are waiting for a long time to order while the whole stuff standing in a corner talking. The man confessed that they have this problem and couldnt solve. Finally a waiter called Hany took the whole responsibility of our table.

• Stayed November 2012
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I spent 3 days at this hotel. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable with a nice view of the pools. Breakfast was very varied and delicious. One night we sat next to the pool for dinner and were entertained by a couple singing arabic songs which was a great way to spend the evening. Another night we ate at the Lebanese restaurant where the food and the service were both excellent. After the chaos of the Cairo traffic, the hotel was a clean and peaceful haven. The only downside was that it was quite a way from the tourist sites and a view of the Nile. However, it was nice and close to the airport.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FairmontTowers, Manager at Fairmont Heliopolis, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
On behalf of Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers, I would like to thank you for the above kind words. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you liked our rooms, rooms’ view and cuisines.

We understand your comment regarding the distance and traffic to down town/tourists sites; hence, in an effort to enhance the experience of all our guests, the hotel also offers a complimentary shuttle bus daily to down town Cairo.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers.

Best Regards.
Internet Marketing Manager

Been to Fairmont Heliopolis? Share your experiences!