“Safe and secure” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hong Kong, China
“Safe and secure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We travelled to Egypt from 16-23 December 2011, right in the midst of all the trouble going on in downtown Cairo, but found a great Hotel out by the Airport, safe and secure from any potential dangers associated with the uprising. The Hotel itself is modern and has all the things you would expect in a 4 star hotel . It has a great range of restaurants so there is plenty of variety in dining options. Extensive pool area (which was too cold for us to use) and other recreational options outside.
The rooms themselves were clean and modern, service was very good and (probably as there weren't many people around) very attentive.
As the hotel is near the airport, it is a bit of a trip to the Pyramids etc, but at least you are safe from any of the dangers downtown, also close in case of an emergency evacuation.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I visited Cairo Recently, I passed by this property for a quick meal, didn't have the chance to actually stay there, but I was impressed by how luxurious it is and the service in the restaurants
Very close to the airport and away from the heart of Cairo where all the demonstrations and riots are taking place

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

The hotel itself was very much what you would expect from a 5 star business hotel, with good rooms (everything works) good internet connection in the rooms and the other facilities also seem good. Fine if you are doing business in Heliopolis, but a good 1 hour from central Cairo so not a good location if you have business in the centre of town and it seems a shame to miss out on being in the city. The hotel has nowhere to walk to and you could be anywhere.
A couple of minor gripes - and these have been true for other hotels in Cairo - why is it always so difficult to get coffee served at breakfast. Plenty of waiters, but they never anticipate that poeple might want a cup or a top up and evne when I did ask there was a long wait. Butter is also in very short supply and no low fat alternative.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Was there for a business trip for 1 night last summer

Check in process was not bad at all they were prompt.

The room was pretty spacious and the bathroom was clean.

Noise was an issue as there was traditional wedding in the courtyard were my room was facing.

Other than that it was an above average hotel but was expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for the new renovated wing and a room facing the Atrium of the hotel which in turn will minimize...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Barcelona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

I've Been In many hotels in Egypt during all this past 8 years, but never found such a terrible service, also some cheap hostels has better service and more professional. The reception doesn't help a lot and give preference to the Egyptians Aldo if they arrive later than you. The change office workers are less empathic than a salafist. And the thing that is making me write this review from the hotel room is what happened to me in the Lebanese restaurant. I was ending my dinner and asked for a tea and also where was the toilet, to the waitress ( not so professional) who was serving me. When I went to the toiled I noticed that the waitress began to follow me, as if I was really going to the toilet or if I wanted to go out without paying. I saw him waiting me when I came out from the toilet... When I came back again to the restaurant I asked for the bill and felt very dissapointed. The director of the restaurant that I told him what happened tried to excuse inviting me to a tea but there are things that can crusifice an hotel, and for a 5 stars hotel this is unacceptable! They will remember me, I promise.

• Stayed December 2011
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Was transiting overnight in Cairo and booked a cabana room at the older Helipolis Fairmont (as opposed to the newer Towers). When we arrived, the clerk said he moved us to another room with terrace which had a more modern decor. Both were located poolside which I wanted. Turns out Cairo evenings in November are too cool for swimming but still enjoyed the atmosphere.

The hotel reception is outdated as were the lobby and hallway. The shopping and restaurants were a little outdated as well That being said, the service was typical Fairmont. Exceeded my expectations.

As this was my first night in Egypt I found it strange to go through a metal detector to go into the hotel. Turns out it is very typical in higher end hotels and restaurants all over Egypt.

We at at the Eygptian restaurant by the pool and the food and service were fabulous. As with all meals in Egypt there was way to much cutlery and stemware on the table. A little too formal and outdated to the modern Fairmont user.

One thing that was odd was noone at the hotel, including the business centre, knew anything about checking in online 24 hours before a flight. We had to pay to print our boarding passes as we just went to the Egyptair website and checked in online ourselves. Turns out this practice isn't popular in Egypt and when attempting to board a flight to Luxor the attended almost didn't let us on the plan as our printouts weren't normal boarding passes. Took some explaining but all well in the end.

In the AM my friend and I only wanted a piece of fruit for breakfast but the restaurant would have made us pay the full breakfast buffet price. There was a small coffee shop counter but try weren't open that early.

The hotel also offers a free airport shuttle which we utilized to get back to the airport in the AM. Would have used it on arrival but wasn't aware of this feature even though I had checked out the website several times.

The gym was very modern as well.

• Stayed November 2011
Newburyport, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We were supposed to be staying in a different hotel in downtown Cairo, but our tour company moved us due to the demonstrations in Tahrir Square. We were very pleased with the accomidations here. Room was large and comfortable. There is a great selection of restaurants - 6 of them! We ate at several of them and found the food to be very goosd. We had a chance to use the spa and enjoyed the sauna and steam room. The service and personnel were great - I had a problem with an ATM machine retaining my debit card, and the Manager was very helpful in resolving the issue. The only issue we had is that we found the room temperatures were too cold, and the heat/AC was impossible to figure out. The location is great if you want to be near the airport.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairmont Heliopolis? Share your experiences!