“A great home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Brothers

You added Hostel Brothers to your Saves list
Hostel Brothers
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   34 Talart Harb | Yacoubian Building 4th Floor, Cairo 0, Egypt   |
Ranked #33 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
“A great home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Very friendly, nice people.
- We had made an online reservation, but after falling to Dahab's charms, we emailed Mohammed and he was so fantastic and easygoing about changing our reservation for a week later. Pretty unheard of in the hostel business.
- Staff was helpful with organizing tours to Aswan, Luxor, and the White Desert. Good prices, and we were able to call them re: issues with trains, illness, etc.
Very unfortunately, we got food poisoning on the White Desert tour organized by the hostel - pay CLOSE attention to the water provided by the desert dudes. In our condition, we had to postpone our train to Aswan by one day, costing us 60 USD each (and losing that day in our tight schedule). It was good customer service and in kindness, that Brothers gave us one free night for our recovery.
- We decided to ship some traveling treasures back to Canada, and were having a difficult time with that until Mohammed went over and above his duties. We bought the box and tape and assembled the thing, but he took it to the post office and called us in Luxor with prices. His help was MUCH appreciated after we had walked all over downtown from one post office to the next, unsuccessfully trying to send it ourselves.

Hostel lobby yes is primarily used by staff. The room with the double bed opens straight into the lobby, kind of awkward for middle of the night bathroom breaks. But in a huge city like Cairo, space is limited. Can't complain.
Beds were very comfortable! AC units were new and worked well - very important in the Cairo summer heat! Wifi was consistent and fast. Bathrooms were very clean. Breakfast was good. Complimentary tea and conversation at every turn.
Overall a great hostel experience. Would recommend!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The thing that makes brothers so special are the staff. They picked us up from the airport and helped my boyfriend try to recover his lost phone. They gave us a great orientation to the area and tips on how to spend our time in Cairo and Egypt. Helped us to organise tours, taking the hassle out of it. Fast wifi. Great location near the Egyptian museum and it the atmospheric Downtown area. Friendly, helpful, trustworthy staff. Definitely recommend to others!

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed at Brothers for 3 nights. The accommodations were great but what really stood out was the awesomeness of the staff. Not only were they friendly, they went out of their way to show us around. From the best local food to a money exchanger with a great rate to a hookah place (one of the staff even treated us!). We also did a great tour with them to Luxor and Giza. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. I stayed here twice while i was in Egypt and I would certainly stay again. Booked a private room with shared bathroom and turned up to a private room with my own bathroom! Good first impression. The driver was there to pick me up from the airport which made everything a lot easier.The place was clean and its in a great location to do a lot of things. From when i first arrived the staff were helpful. Emam gave me a general idea of where was safe to go n a map and where I should steer clear of, as a female travelling by myself this was important. I booked a few tours through the hostel which i thoroughly enjoyed. Ahmed the gentleman that drove me around was very nice and accommodating as well. I had a great experience here no complaints whatsoever I would love to go back.

Room Tip: Depends what you want, i chose a private room and this was great for me but they also have dorms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed at Brothers our first night and last two nights in Egypt. The free airport pickup made it worth the booking; Thalaat was there at the airport, holding a sign with my name on it, a welcome sight after 19 hours of traveling. Ehab was working the desk, and he gave us all kinds of helpful informaion: map of Cairo, kosheray restaurant a block away (for two tired, hungry budget travelers); location of train station (and advice that they would want cash American for our sleeper train tickets); where to buy mobile phone sim cards. He mentioned tours, but was not pushy. I had booked a double room, shared bath. He gave us a free "upgrade" to an ensuite room; private bath is nice, but the room had twin beds (c'mon!), tile floor (cold), fluorescent lighting, and no window (quiet, but no daylight). The second time around we got the double room with wood floor and balcony. Noisy (Cairo traffic is crazy, with constant horn honking), but worth it to me. Lobby rather than common room, with staff always watching the TV. Breakfast is simple: bread & jam, cheese, hard-boiled egg, cheese, tea. Our first morning the staff invited us to share their breakfast--falafel, ful, eggs, bread--which was delicious and a welcoming cultural experience! Staff arranged transport to the airport (70 LE), so we saw Thalaat again at 5:00 a.m. Great location, walking distance from Egyptian Museum, but far enough from Tahrir Square that protests do not affect it. Visit Egypt, and do not be afraid. The news reports stir up fear, so tourism suffers, as do the Egyptian people. Buy things when you can, tip generously if you're able, and promote this beautiful place to everyone you know!

Room Tip: Choose the ensuite room for quiet. Beware that Egypt doesn't use shower curtains, so bathrooms g...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hostel for five nights whilst in Cairo so I think we had the experience of this place. It was clean and we did see and smell the floor cleaner used every day in the common areas. As with all places the staff were friendly and helpful, they arranged all our day trips for us and contrary to what one person has said regarding their charges, they were reasonable and I had them checked buy an Egyptian friend I managed to catch up with for dinner one night whom is a travel guide in his day job. The shower was hot but the usual problem with what to do with the water after it leaves the spout and let's get it all over the floor can be unhelpful. You can use the common shower if you don't have sufficient hot water as the double room is only good for one shower. The entrance and building is a real mess, however, don't let this put you off there is more than one hostel in the building and the old man who sleeps at the bottom of the lift is helpful so give him a tip. What we really liked about this place is it's location and free airport pick up and for hostel accommodation it's OK with MacDonalds down the road, lots of shopping just outside and the museum just up the road. The bed was comfortable also and no bed bugs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This place was okay, I have stayed at better places, I have stayed at worse places. The double bedroom was big and good for us, but the issue was it opened up right to the front desk area where everyone was looking at you. The bathrooms were okay, breakfast was pretty good as well. The annoying thing was the second we came in the door, different tours were being pushed upon us. It's one thing to discuss Cairo with us, but it's another thing to start pushing Luxor, Aswan, and other tours upon us when we have arrived at the hostel about 10 minutes ago. Also, if you want to see the Pyramids try and figure out your own cab as you can certainly find something for cheaper. The tv was always being used by the staff, so the common area wasn't really designed for anyone to hang out in. I had friends highly recommend this place, but it certainly was not one of my favorites.

Room Tip: I would try to use the double room, but just know it opens up to the common area.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple