“A good base in Cairo” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Brothers

You added Hostel Brothers to your Saves list
Hostel Brothers
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   34 Talart Harb | Yacoubian Building 4th Floor, Cairo 0, Egypt   |
Ranked #28 of 131 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“A good base in Cairo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed at Brothers our first night and last two nights in Egypt. The free airport pickup made it worth the booking; Thalaat was there at the airport, holding a sign with my name on it, a welcome sight after 19 hours of traveling. Ehab was working the desk, and he gave us all kinds of helpful informaion: map of Cairo, kosheray restaurant a block away (for two tired, hungry budget travelers); location of train station (and advice that they would want cash American for our sleeper train tickets); where to buy mobile phone sim cards. He mentioned tours, but was not pushy. I had booked a double room, shared bath. He gave us a free "upgrade" to an ensuite room; private bath is nice, but the room had twin beds (c'mon!), tile floor (cold), fluorescent lighting, and no window (quiet, but no daylight). The second time around we got the double room with wood floor and balcony. Noisy (Cairo traffic is crazy, with constant horn honking), but worth it to me. Lobby rather than common room, with staff always watching the TV. Breakfast is simple: bread & jam, cheese, hard-boiled egg, cheese, tea. Our first morning the staff invited us to share their breakfast--falafel, ful, eggs, bread--which was delicious and a welcoming cultural experience! Staff arranged transport to the airport (70 LE), so we saw Thalaat again at 5:00 a.m. Great location, walking distance from Egyptian Museum, but far enough from Tahrir Square that protests do not affect it. Visit Egypt, and do not be afraid. The news reports stir up fear, so tourism suffers, as do the Egyptian people. Buy things when you can, tip generously if you're able, and promote this beautiful place to everyone you know!

Room Tip: Choose the ensuite room for quiet. Beware that Egypt doesn't use shower curtains, so bathrooms g...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hostel for five nights whilst in Cairo so I think we had the experience of this place. It was clean and we did see and smell the floor cleaner used every day in the common areas. As with all places the staff were friendly and helpful, they arranged all our day trips for us and contrary to what one person has said regarding their charges, they were reasonable and I had them checked buy an Egyptian friend I managed to catch up with for dinner one night whom is a travel guide in his day job. The shower was hot but the usual problem with what to do with the water after it leaves the spout and let's get it all over the floor can be unhelpful. You can use the common shower if you don't have sufficient hot water as the double room is only good for one shower. The entrance and building is a real mess, however, don't let this put you off there is more than one hostel in the building and the old man who sleeps at the bottom of the lift is helpful so give him a tip. What we really liked about this place is it's location and free airport pick up and for hostel accommodation it's OK with MacDonalds down the road, lots of shopping just outside and the museum just up the road. The bed was comfortable also and no bed bugs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This place was okay, I have stayed at better places, I have stayed at worse places. The double bedroom was big and good for us, but the issue was it opened up right to the front desk area where everyone was looking at you. The bathrooms were okay, breakfast was pretty good as well. The annoying thing was the second we came in the door, different tours were being pushed upon us. It's one thing to discuss Cairo with us, but it's another thing to start pushing Luxor, Aswan, and other tours upon us when we have arrived at the hostel about 10 minutes ago. Also, if you want to see the Pyramids try and figure out your own cab as you can certainly find something for cheaper. The tv was always being used by the staff, so the common area wasn't really designed for anyone to hang out in. I had friends highly recommend this place, but it certainly was not one of my favorites.

Room Tip: I would try to use the double room, but just know it opens up to the common area.
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Facilities: This is a low-key and clean hostel in Downtown Cairo. Our room was large and the bathrooms were clean, though the common area is only a few benches facing a TV that the staff is always using to watch bad movies. Breakfast is ok, nothing special, though the tiny tables (granted the only ones that will fit in the small hallway) make it difficult to eat. The location is close to Tahir square, though the noise from the horns on the street below are obnoxiously loud at night (we had to take sleeping pills and earplugs to even fall asleep). Overall the facilities are perfectly fine, just dull.

Staff: We were greeted at check-in by an overbearing guy who only wanted to drone on in his rehearsed pitch about Aswan and Luxor tour packages. He barely answered our questions about Cairo, and was very pushy into getting us to commit to signing up for something on the spot. (We had been there less than an hour!) In fact, we came back one day to his greeting "welcome back, would you like to extend your stay?" (we still had two nights left on our reservation!) Clearly we were only a walking dollar sign to him which made us both feel uncomfortable anytime he was working. On the other side, we had a great experience with the rest of the staff (especially Eham) who were very helpful, laid back, and extremely non-pushy when we had questions about other places in Egypt.

One more thing- our room had a balcony which was only accessible through the room, and we came back one day to find that the staff had hung laundry on the clothes rack on the balcony.... we had no warning that people would be passing through our room. If this will bother you, don't request room 400.

Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

i moved from hola cairo to brother hostel couple days and it was nice in same area down town the rooms was very good and the shower room also was nice and it's nice to be in a small hostel coz the people there will help you more than any place else

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The place is nice and clean. At first the, the staff seems friendly and reasonable. However, they are a scam. They try to force you into their tours which are highly overpriced. Then, they try to take you to a "museum," which was just a way for them to scam you out of more money then they already scammed you out of.. Next, they will take you to an extremely over priced camel tour of the pyramids (by over priced I mean they charge 480 egp when you can get the same tour for 50 egp)!!! Once you get back to complain about the price they get extremely rude and tell you that they just supply the driver.. The entire place is a scam... DO NOT Book your tour through them... Clean place and nice hostel... But it is a scam artist at its worst!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

**I will preface this with: I am 30yo, travelled 40+ countries, hundreds of hostels, on all continents as a backpacker. However, I do feel that those who review properties these days are swayed by the likeable personal attributes of the staff, instead of focusing on the facilities, which would be more helpful to others. I am tired of turning up to places, wishing that someone had mentioned certain things in their review, instead of just praising the staff. Staff are excessively nice to me in 99% of hostels, so wonderful helpful staff, is standard in my book. I always try to be fair and accurate. Chat to some locals - Egyptians are amazing people**

I am giving this the "average" rating, as I only stayed in one place in Cairo. Then I would have something to compare it to. You be the judge...

Good:

Free Airport Pick-up (HIGHLY appreciated), Free breakfast (African standard though). Double room was new for Egypt (good mattresses, renovated bathroom). Great new air-con.

Negatives:

For the Brothers Staff, I will elaborate here, and perhaps it will be more helpful, as opposed to nasty sounding.

The elevator is dangerously close to failing, and does not come up when requested. Therefor you must walk down every time. You will then notice the terrible Building which is absolutely wrecked. We saw homeless people sleeping in the stairwell, families of cats etc.

Anyone could walk in off the street as there is no secure entrance to the building, and no secure entrance to the hostel.

More advice on local safety which would have been nice. The whole "don't go into this are due to some old problem" was not helpful. Info on protests, current issues, common scams (which we ran into many of) would have helped. How about that you will need your passport to get into the Museum and your expensive camera will have to be stored, as you can't take them in.

However, you do get lots of info on tours etc. But we all know why that is.

The map we got was useless. It led us to wasting an hour in the heat and pollution, just to find the museum. Also spent an hour searching for a tour office with good maps, which did not eventuate. They really need to supply a decent map, in a city like Cairo.

People say their prices for tours are high. I think they are fair and average. However, the cars they use in their tours are rubbish. You could go to any other hotel or tour office and likely get a car with seatbelts, windows that actually go down, exhaust that doesn't flood the car and maybe even air-con.

Although the room was clean by Egyptian standards (not to be confused with other continents) the floor itself was filthy. Within moments my feet were black and that is how the floor stayed the whole time.

The bathroom was nicely new and renovated but no shower curtains means wet toilet and bedroom floor from wet feet, broken bathroom door won't close, bedroom door itself barely closes.

Staff appear to be nice, but I personally felt it was contrived from some of them. Just me. Again, Staff are excessively nice to me in 99% of hostels, so wonderful helpful staff, is standard in my book.

The Staff & their many, regular visiting friends are inconsiderately noisy late at night and early morning. It's like their private social club, not like a Hostel.

Many were smoking in reception, bathrooms and kitchen (when I specifically emailed them prior to booking, to ensure it was non-smoking.)

The male staff member was very rude on checkout. Did not even speak to me or look at me. Now your money has been spent, that "charm" suddenly disappears. (not the guy with the green eyes, or Mohammed with the Australian girlfriend, it was the guy who is losing his hair...)

As I said, I have nothing else in Cairo to compare it to, but I am pretty sure you can do better. If your going for a double room, spend a few more dollars and get a hotel, which is not on the hectic main street.

Call me the Jaded Traveller. At least I am honest....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostel Brothers? Share your experiences!