“Very good Hoste” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Brothers

and 1 more site!
You added Hostel Brothers to your Saves list
Hostel Brothers
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   34 Talart Harb | Yacoubian Building 4th Floor, Cairo 0, Egypt   |
Ranked #29 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
cairo
“Very good Hoste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Very good Hostel!!!!!!!!! GREAT Staff, they help in all you need! and also very good tours, location, rooms, all!! 100% recomended!!

Room Tip: Very good Hoste
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

The hostel is extremely clean, spacious, and comfortable! It was a nice resting spot in our crazy travels, and exactly what we needed. The staff at the hostel, especially Mohamed, made our trip though. He was always eager to point us in the direction of adventure, accompany us to local spots, and share the best places to visit. He definitely pushed our trip above and beyond what we could have expected!

Room Tip: stay in the room with view of Tallat Harb street
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Egypt, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Had a fantastic time at Brothers Hostel; the team are fabulous, really knowledgeable and generous - they took great care of me that I feel like I'm part of their family. Airport transfers, good breakfast, excellent location, safe, clean and comfortable - everything you need in a hostel and just ask and Mohamed, Karim or Emam will organise it . Met some lovely people staying here too. Close to the museum, no problems in Cairo or Egypt at all which was very reassuring for a girl travelling alone.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Hue, Vietnam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Because of a plane problem, I arrived in Cairo in the middle of the night with no place booked to stay. I looked hostels up on the internet and Brothers advertised 24 hour access. True to that, I got to the hostel unannounced and found someone willing to give me a bed. He was very friendly and always remained so, even remembering me when I stayed on my last night two weeks later.

The place is quite clean and the staff quite helpful. When there seems to be something in it for them. If there isn't, it's a bit hit and miss. They will happily help you book excursions in Cairo and around Egypt, but they excursions are quite to extremely expensive compared to doing it on your own. And there are other concerns as well.

For instance, I booked an excursion to the pyramids for a day. I paid enough to reasonably be able to expect few hassles, to just be able to go and enjoy the majesty of the pyramids. Instead I was taken first to a papyrus shop, then to a very high-priced camel ride place outside the pyramids park. There was high pressure to buy. (And I am not very strong-willed in such situations.) The response from the person I booked through at the hostel? Well, they just provide the driver. It's up to me to just say no in the face of the high-pressure sales tactics. My own thought is that, since I am paying that much money, they should be making sure the driver isn't going to be engaging in shenanigans like that. Or I just might be inclined to tell everyone I can to not bother booking things through them. Or that you can easily get to and from the pyramids for less than 10 pounds and not be taken to these places. (However, you will still have to pass by them when you get there. But it's much easier to deal with them in that sort of situation. Just keep walking.)

Another indication of how important the experience of the guest is on excursions they book came when I returned after a ten-day trip out of town, booked through them. Having spent that much time on an excursion they helped me book, and having booked three separate excursions, I thought I might be asked how it was, or about why I had changed the itinerary we had worked out together. He brought none of that up.

I don't think they really care whether their guests have a good time. I don't think they care what happens to their guests once they are on excursions booked through them. Based on my experience, the only thing that really seems to matter to them is that they have the money.

But having said that, the atmosphere inside the hostel while I was staying was quite nice, and they can be very friendly. It's clean and centrally located, and the price for the stay is very reasonable.

Just book things on your own. It'll save you money and hassle. And you won't leave the country hating the pyramids.

Room Tip: If you can get it, the two back bedrooms are the best. The street outside is very busy and very noi...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I decided to stay with this hostel because it offered free airport pick up and as my flight arrived at 2am, I thought it was best to be accountable.
Even though my flight was delayed by over an hour, my driver was waiting at the front of arrivals for me.
My room was massive and it is in the Yacoubian Building, which is known for it's prestige, all throughout Egypt- I felt a bit fancy, given it is a hostel. It's also in a great location which is 5mins walk away from the Egyptian Museum.
The staff were great and really really helpful. Initially I was slightly anxious about my travel here, as the news was saying it was dangerous, and that no one was travelling; but it is actually really safe and they organised a great tour for me with other single travellers from other hostels, so I was not alone for my trip- they literally put me on trains (so I had the carriage/seat right), as well as arranged for someone to pick me up at my destination, so I avoided a lot of hassle. The trip they planned was awesome, and they were really accommodating when I decided mid tour that I wanted to go back to Aswan on my own. They arranged my tickets for my independent travel and called when I arrived to make sure I was ok.
When I was at the hostel in Cairo, they even organised for me to join others to go out at night, to free events, which actually were genuinely free!!! They invited me to tea after their shifts, and even offered to walk me anywhere I felt uncomfortable.
As I said, I can not recommend this hostel highly enough! They really look after you and make sure you are safe!
Also, Egypt is actually really safe at the moment - the first we've heard about anything dangerous is from the news, so just keep in mind that sensationalism sells.

• Stayed December 2011
Bolognetta, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Stay here. The staff are helpful, kind, accomodating and will give you everything you want and need. Lovely people and a great hostel with amazing value for money. They can also help you organise great trips and advise you on Cairo in general. Probably the best hostel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My stay here was great. VERY helpful staff, and they're all very kind also. Knowing a tad of Arabic will go long way toward endearing yourself around the city, btw. I was also able to book a day-tour of the Pyramid complexes (Giza, Sakkara and Dahshur) through here, with the single nicest and most informative, helpful guide I have ever met. It was a bit more expensive than I originally planned for, admittedly, but for the great rooms and better people I've encountered here that's really small potatoes. Would recommend any day.

PS - If you want a pyramid tour, ask for Hesnee as a guide. Be careful with how much you tip (everyone here is a bit aggressive about tipping), but this guy is cream of the crop. He really knows and loves his city's history, and it comes out in his tours. Definitely the best.

Room Tip: Unless you're with a big group or got some big money, definitely get a bed in a dorm. The privat...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hostel Brothers? Share your experiences!