“Dodgy owner - certainly wouldn't recommend especially for solo women travellers!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kings Palace Hotel

Save Saved
You added Kings Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Kings Palace Hotel
Kings Palace Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   3 Ibrahim El Qabbani St Of Sabri Abu Alam St. | Sapry Abo Alam-Talaat Harb Sq, Cairo 11511, Egypt   |
Ranked #42 of 125 Specialty lodging in Cairo
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

The owner lied (that he doesn't have a wife/daughter etc) and tried asking me out on a date. Later when he saw me hanging out with another guy to the hostel his attitude changed COMPLETELY (and was also rude to my friend) and screwed me over with a tour booking!

He came across pretty friendly initially and shared his travel (and gun shooting) experience etc, but what freaked me out was the fact that he told people he own 2 guns - probably not a big deal in Egypt but just not in the hands of this guy.

Having said all that, if you're still keen to go, the location is indeed pretty central, with a nice local restaurant/takeaway "Kazaz" just around the corner, close to Townhouse gallery, but not that close to the metro (about 10-15 mins walk).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

Stayed here in Dec 2009. You have to climb up 4 floors of dirty and disgusting looking floors. There are no lifts. The hosts of the hotel is only interested in your money and trying to con you into buying their tour packages. It will spoil your entire holiday experience. The toilets suck as well.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Danville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

The interesting things first. The hotel is up five very long flights of stairs--no lift. Some of the floors of the building are strew with rubble and there are interesting electrical wires protruding from lots of walls. My room had three beds, a very small, uncomfortable chair and a table just large enough to accommodate the small table lamp that it held. No closets or hangars bit a few knobs on the wall could handle some items. The bathroom was a single space with a shower head in the middle of the wall and the soap was a large bar that was to be used by all occupants till it ran out. In four days, the bed was not made nor was the towel exchanged.

But the internet worked flawlessly, the staff was helpful and there was a breakfast provided as promised. The bed was comfortable and the other two provided space for items to be stacked. It was generally clean and was exceptionally well located with the Egyptian Museum a 10 minute walk. There was an air conditioner but I did not need it in December--assume it probably worked.

When you visit friends, they usually provide a space but do not make your bed for you nor do they change linen and towels on a daily basis. That comparison was helpful.

Furthermore, for $20 a night, it was an exceptional value. This is not a hotel for anyone wishing to spend any time in the room as there was not even a place to sit. If you have any special needs or mobility problems, look elsewhere. However, if you want a place to sleep that is conveniently located and dirt cheap, this is the spot. There were also lots of places nearby to get food as well as a small "bar" next door that served beer and allowed food to be brought in.

While I do recommend the property and was ultimately satisfied that it met my needs on this trip, it is not for everyone and should be chosen only if you want a very basic space.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Larnaka, Cyprus
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

These people made our experience in Cairo a nightmare. Don't let yourself be fooled by the photos, it really isn't like this at all. It's dirty, noisy, and worst of all, very disrespectful to clients. I've been in many hostels in arab countries to know that Kings is not a "bohemian experience", but an insult really. Ever since we arrived, they said they didn't actually have our room as per the reservation, so they sent us to another hotel across the street, after we carried our baggage up 4 big flights of stairs, they have no elevator. And don't think any of those lingering by stuff ever crossed to their minds to help two girls carrying their baggage. The next day we came again to Kings, again with bags and everything, to get our room, in hope that the mix-up was just an unfortunate misshapen. But no, as it turns out, they always overbook themselves, so they don't miss any possible penny. They tried to give us a dorm room, when we specifically wanted a private bathroom twin room, as we were two girls. The dorm room is for both women and men. That was such an outrage!!! We left immediately, hoping that some years of therapy might eventually sooth our shaken mental state.
So I am not recommending this hotel to anyone, because disrespecting clients is absolutely intolerable.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

The staff and owner at the Kings Palace are absolute treasures - very genuine, hospitable and friendly. We stayed for 4 nights in a double room with private bathroom and had a fantastic time seeing all the sights at a leisurely pace. I would have no hesitation in recommending this place to anyone who wants somewhere relaxed, comfortable and affordable.

• Liked — Staff and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

I have somewhat mixed feelings about the Kings Palace Hotel, but considering the good value on offer and our other experiences in Cairo, I would stay here again.

Be psychologically prepared for the first impression which is enough to make you cry. The hotel is on the fourth floor of dodgy dilapidated building, and needless to say, there is no lift.

After huffing and puffing up all the stairs and almost losing hope, you will be greeted by a homely reception area. A little too homely for me, to be honest. When we stayed here, several guests seemed to spend all their free time hanging out with the "Kings Palace Family" in the reception area / living room instead of exploring the streets of Cairo. I suppose this is a recommendation. When I arrived, the "family" and several guests were busy having a family style dinner in the reception area, and insisted that I sit down with them to have some koshery. It depends on the kind of experience you are looking for - I am sure there are MANY people out there who crave this sort of "hospitality" and "authenticity" - especially young backpackers traveling solo, perhaps - but I am used to staying at hotels and being more anonymous, so I found this quite overwhelming and intimidating after 24 long hours of travel. Our room also opened right onto the reception area which can be a bit offputting if you value your privacy and don't feel like making small talk, morning noon and night. This is definitely a hostel, not a hotel - but quite a nice one, compared to the worst case scenario.

Booking was done via e-mail, and seemed refreshingly easy to begin with. Until I arrived at the hotel after a long trip to be told that they had e-mailed me a couple of hours before (on the day of my arrival) to inform me that my booking was cancelled due to a double booking. I was not happy and threw a big tantrum. To their credit, they didn't just turn me away, but took me and my suitcase down the road to the Nubian Hostel where a room was available. I didn't like the Nubian AT ALL and declined to stay there. The Kings Palace people then felt bad and offered me my back the room I had originally booked. In the end, after much drama, I could choose between TWO rooms which had miraculously become available - one en-suite with a double bed, and another en-suite with two single beds and balcony.

For a couple, I would definitely recommend the twin room NOT the double room. The single beds are big enough for two, the bathroom of this room is nicer and it has a private balcony. Not bad for 135 EGP / night. The room was spotlessly clean, and the mattresses were very comfortable compared to others we slept on in Egypt - at more expensive hotels. I also found the old fashioned beds and wooden floors quite charming compared to your average 3-star hotel room. Towels were not initially provided but produced when requested. The bathroom is only one step up from "shower over toilet" but was clean and functional with boiling hot water. The room is not cleaned on a daily basis while occupied, but cleaned thoroughly between guests.

Overall, I left with a positive impression of the Kings Palace and would recommend it to friends on a tight budget.

• Liked — Great location, good value, charming old fashioned beds and wooden floors
  • Disliked — The dilapidated building, many stairs to climb, overly friendly atmosphere
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
munich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

This was very inexpensive hotel. The owner and the others working there were very nice, helpful and sincere. We had a double with private bathroom, there were three beds and a balcony, the room was clean enough, the balcony was not extremely interesting but nice anyway. We were only there for one night and didn't do much more than see the pyramids which we managed on our own. If I do come back I would feel comfortable asking the owner and employees here to help me arrange excursions which they are happy to do (I'm sure they get a commission). I would also recommend contacting them before arrival to help with organizing.

The hotel is also in a very old dilapidated building, I think the floor with the hotel is the only one occupied. Remember that this is a very cheap accommodation in Egypt so consider that in your expectations, if you want a American/European caliber, the Hilton is also near by.

• Liked — price, staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Kings Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!