“Good value, friendly staff, perfect base in central Cairo.” 4 of 5 stars

The Australian Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   23 Abd El Khalek Tharwat St,, Cairo 11111, Egypt   |
Ranked #10 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Dun Laoghaire, Dublin
“Good value, friendly staff, perfect base in central Cairo.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed at the Australian Hostel with a friend as part of a first visit to Egypt. The hostel is located in downtown Cairo about a 10 minute walk from Tahrir Square and the Egyptian museum.

The hostel is occupies the 3rd floor of a 19th century building. As with many buildings in Egypt elements could do with refurbishment, however the hostel itself has been refurbished to a high standard with, thick walls, high ceilings, interesting plasterwork and simple yet tasteful decoration.

We arrived in Cairo in the middle of the night, Ehab from the hostel kindly arranged a transfer by private driver for 60LE. Check-in was efficient and the reception area is clean and offers free wi-fi.

Our twin room had a view of a side street, there wasn’t a great deal to look at, but it was very quiet. The room itself as perfect for a short stay, clean, cool (with /ac) and quiet (for Eqypt).

The staff arranged a private driver for a tour of Saqqara (the Step pyramid), Dahshur (the Red pyramid) and Giza for 180LE per person, excluding entrance fees. The driver Muhammad was very knowledgeable, providing advice on fair amounts for tips and incidentals. He also brought us on the obligatory trip to a papyrus and perfume centre. To be fair both were interesting, but be aware one can purchase similar items at a local souq for slightly less (depending on your haggling skills!)

Breakfast at the hostel was basic and sufficient. There’s a small store opposite the hostel on Tharwat St which sells basics (water, bread etc) at fair prices. The hostel is also well situated for a McDonalds and the local takeout Gad. Like almost all smaller establishments in Egypt they don’t sell alcohol, however for those seeking ‘refreshments’ there’s a store called “Drinkies” a short walk away.

Would certainly recommend the hostel to any visitors to Egypt, it provides good value, with friendly staff (who aren’t at all pushy) and is a perfect base in central Cairo.

Room Tip: Ask for a side street, they are quiter
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Berlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I love this hostel! Maybe the entrance of the building is not pretty but the hostel as far as I remember on the 3rd floor is just beyond expectations! Super friendly staff , clean rooms, fresh sheets and a quiet place in the heart of cairo. Definitely coming back. Thumbs up!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Temple City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

During my stay in Cairo, a few friends and I stayed at the Australian Hostel and we loved our stay. We stayed in a "private room" there instead of the dorm and it was great. No problems with the room or anything. The water was hot and everything was clean. They even picked us up from the airport, which was awesome. Our driver, Moosa, was really nice. He took us everywhere and even explained things along the way. The rates are very cheap compared to other places and they even set up separate trips for us. The only problem I had was the fact that they took us to certain stores to get us to buy things and make commission off of us but that is normal I guess and common in many touristy countries. Also, be careful about the prices they give you for certain trips because they will mark up the prices a little bit and you should haggle with them if you want a good price but if you don't mind paying a little more, then its OK. Overall, I would definitely recommend staying here if you are on a budget.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Kampala, Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I traveled to Egypt with 10 other people (all in our 20s) and the guys at The Australian Hostel helped us out from beginning to end. They helped us arrange all of our movements in and around Cairo, and even pulled everything together for our 3 days in Luxor.
The rooms are simple and comfortable, the bathrooms are clean, and the common area is perfect for just chilling out. On top of that, the location is absolutely perfect (literally a 4 minute walk from El Abd, probably the best bakery and ice cream I've had in years).
You should not look anywhere else if you head to Cairo and are looking for a reasonably priced and extremely relaxed stay in this amazing country.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Saratoga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

The manager Sabre was a great person to be around...Hotel was better when he was around as he's been in the hospitality industry for quite some time and it shows... Beds were great after some of the stuff we've found along the way. HOT WATER is amazing....... Nice and centally located. I've been to egypt many times so didn't need tour guide, but quite a few used Sabre services and were very happy....Speaks excellent english and understands--not the typical tourist tout egyptian as he was married for some time to an Ozzie girl. Jasmine around the corner is also his so either way, you get a good place to stay...

ONly con...like all of egypt, smoke from Egypian cigarettes can be annoying and I'm still searching for an egyptian that doesnt smoke

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I booked this hostel in advance before I went to Cairo.....I did not have any tours to book....I did not know what to expected....However, The Australian Hostel are the best of the best....They offered me trips to Luxor,,Alexandria around Cairo at a very cheap price...They are very well organized...and friendly......They are so helpful since you don't speak the language....The rooms are so clean and and safe....It is located a few blocks of the Cairo's Museum......I really strongly recommend this place to stay in....
If you contact them in advance they will pick up from the airport at reasonable price.....

Room Tip: any room at the third floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

I stayed in a private room in this hostel for a few nights while in Cairo. They forgot to pick me up from the airport (which was stressful because I arrived around 2:00am). They had offered to cover the cost of my cab but when they found out I mistakenly overpaid (they didn't tell me how much it should cost) the offer was never brought up again. Also, the hostel is located on the 3rd or 4th floor so I was very confused about how to find it. The guard downstairs had to take me up. Some signage downstairs would be nice.

The room itself was nice, VERY spacious and clean for the price. There was an air conditioner though I never had to use it. The bathroom always had hot water and I never had to wait for the shower. The breakfasts were very good, they often order take out from a local restaurant on the same street. When they don't order, they usually just serve an egg with some bread and tea/coffee (which is still good considering a lot of hostels just give you toast).

We arranged tours through the hostel and was pleased for the most part, however, had an awful driver on our last one. This caused a bit of a conflict and we felt that we had essentially wasted a day of our vacation. Compensation was offered, then the offer was revoked, then they offered again. We weren't thrilled with the staff.

Other than some hiccups, it was an OK stay. The location is good, although Cairo isn't the easiest or most exciting place to get around on foot. There is a metro station close by, and the hostel is near a KFC and two McDonalds for those craving Western comforts. They advertise the Museum is a 5 minute walk - it isn't. On foot, it's about 15-20 minutes. If you don't mind near-death experiences, walking is fine. However, I was not a fan of the psychotic drivers who have no consideration for pedestrians (and the Egyptian men who loved stalking me) so I'd recommend taking a cab.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends