“Great Location, Friendly Staff” 3 of 5 stars

Happy City Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 C Mohamed Farid St, Abdin Sq, Cairo, Egypt   |
Ranked #71 of 133 Hotels in Cairo
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
“Great Location, Friendly Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

The location is excellent for exploring downtown Cairo. Walked to restaurants - Felefal & Alfi Bey - both worth the visit. Read reviews prior to going and had some trepidation, but it all turned out well. The hotel is well worn and is a typical 3 star outside the U.S. The water pressure was not great, but it worked and after all you get what you pay for. The rooftop bar was a great place for respite from the hustle and bustle of the city - Cairo is one of the busiest cities that we have visited. The breakfast was acceptable, but nothing dynamic. The staff were very welcoming and helpful, and we did not encounter any special efforts to extort baksheesh from anyone at the hotel.

As for prior comments about noise, you may want to request a back room. We did and had very quiet nights. If you want to feel the vibe of the city without great expense this would be for you.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed this hotel, clean, great city access, helpful friendly staff. Breakfast was a joy, good selection of omelette, fruits, jams, teas, pastries etc. Had three nights at the Happy City.
Disappointment hit when we left for the airport. The night manager ordered the taxi and insisted I pay him the LE100 fare (which should have been LE80). He agreed on the price but still insisted I pay him. I refused saying I'd pay the driver. Taxi arrives, we all go out to the cab, where again the manager insists I pay him. I show the driver that I am putting LE80 in the managers hand. Five minutes down the road "You owe me LE50"
and of course, beyond this demand, he has no English. Cab "breaks down"; second cab arrives, we get to the airport, "You owe me LE50!"
I guess I was most disappointed as the company we travelled with (GAP) does a large volume of business with this hotel, there really is no need for this (or any) type of scam from the management there!

• Stayed July 2010
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nts.. Its a budget type hotel so I wasn't expecting to be impressed. I had just come off of a 12 hr flight from the states and gone through the stress of getting transportation to the hotel so I was hoping for a problem free check-in. As it turns out check-in was quick and I was escorted to my room by the bell-hop. I found the room very small and with narrow areas to walk around. We had 2 twin size beds with linens that seemed old and worn with very thin pillows. The tv had bad reception and the remote didn't work. In addition the a/c was just blowing out tepid air despite being on high which is unfortunate being that temps were in the 100's. Breakfast buffet consisted of boiled eggs, egyptian pastries and rolls with jam, cheese or butter, bruised looking fruit like peaches and bananas, some salad of sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, some sliced mystery meat and your choice of tea or a drink made of hibiscus flowers.

Final impression: I would not recommend this hotel for more than an overnight if unless have no other choice and your money is tight. The exchange rate in Egyptian LE to USD is not bad, so if you wan't to enjoy more comfort, better food and amenities spend the extra money and choose a 4* or better property.

• Stayed May 2010
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

The phrase what sums up Happy City is “you pay for what you get”. Don’t come here if you want 5 star luxury or expect the staff to run around after your every whim. The room was clean, if a little old, the majority of staff were friendly, reception was helpful and the buffet breakfast was ok. Although there is no pool there is a outside terrace and bar to relax at night which had a good mixture of westerners, locals and other cultures The hotel is in the downtown area, surrounded by Egyptians going about their daily life, it is safe to walk around and attractions such as the Egyptian Museum, the Nile and the Cairo Tower are all within walking distance (20 mins). If you want somewhere to sleep and just rest while you explore Cairo then you could do a lot worse.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

I stayed at the Happy City hotel for four nights in December of 2009 as part of a GAP tour. Although the rooms are basic, they are clean, and the staff is exceptionally friendly and accommodating (like most Egyptians). The bathrooms (water pressure and temp) could be improved and the rooms are a little noisey from the busy street below, but I just put my headphones in and slept comfortably. I don't think there are too many places in downtown Cairo where you could avoid the noise anyways! The hotel is also only about a 20 minute walk to the Egyptian museum and the Nile, and the metro stop is less than a block away.

Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
santamonica77
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

Very unhappy with manager of Happy City Hotel-ran the typical Middle Eastern hustle for my cab ride/fare from hotel to airport. NOT acceptable for a more main stream hotel. In short it was 60 for the cab, he asked me to pay him directly, he gave the $ to the porter who in turn went to get the cabbie. Of course I expected them to take a commission but when I asked the cabbie about the fare he said he was given 40 and was told I'd pay the remaining 20 upon arrival. I had the cabbie come in with me to sort out the matter-the manager told the cabbie he had nothing to do with the $ but he needed to talk to the porter. The porter eventually coughed up come extra $ but they still took a 25% commission and almost made me late to my flight with all the bs hustle. Probably the only time I've ever seen a cabbie hustled...but still unaccepable for a hotel manager.

• Stayed December 2009

Been to Happy City Hotel? Share your experiences!