“Some people are nuts!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 393 hotels in Seoul
Tampa, Florida
“Some people are nuts!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I am sitting in my room at this hotel right now, using the free wifi in my room, that has been fast and reliable for the last 2 days. I am on the 21st floor, it works fine! I have to really wonder about the people who trash this hotel in reviews, they don't travel? Their naïve? the expect everything to be the same as the states? (then stay home!) not sure. This hotel is exactly as advertised, probably more. When I was booking, I was a bit apprehensive, but then when I read the reviews, like the one from Jul 13 where the guy was upset because they did not give him a toothbrush (really, you travel without a toothbrush?) besides, there is some sort of recycling law that prevents hotels from providing non-disposable items. I started looking at these people's other reviews, then I understood. Ok, to come here, take the KAL bus, it is super comfortable, costs 16000 and drops you to the front door. easy. Then, you are located within a 15 minute walk to all the shopping areas, and if you don't like to walk it is no more than a $5 taxi ride to the furthest shopping area. The checkin was fast and professional, the girl at the counter spoke perfect English. The bell hop was super friendly, and engaged me in conversation, seems he is a college student majoring in Geography (not sure what job that gets you!) and he was a prior enlisted man in the Korean Marines stationed on the DMZ. The café in the lobby is ok, just like a starbucks; and there is a starbucks next door (out the front turn right, then right - next to Family Mart) there is also a store across the street from the entrance, it is like a 7-11 with a few other items like umbrellas and such. We also had a few requests from the front desk; my wife called down and explained we forgot our travel convertor for 110v, within 5 minutes they brought us one! We also now travel with a 2 year old, asked about a crib and they brought one within 15 minutes! Cut little thing too! Housekeeping has been great, we slept in the first morning and did not leave until noon, back at 2pm our room was made up and extra towel were left for the little one! As far as the property goes, yes, to be fair, there are some signs of age. But they have made repairs (our ceiling obviously had a leak once, but it has a patch which is visable due to pait color) GASP! I should down grade my review to a 1!!! The shower issue, yes, there is no shower curtain, yes the floor floods, when your done showing, put down a towel, magically your floor is now dry! As far as a tub, if that is your thing, then yeah, you'll be disappointed! We are in room 2117, an end, it has an excellent view of N tower, is super quiet, and in great repair. The bathroom faucet is really fancy, took me almost 30 seconds to figure it out... The water is as hot as you want, for as long as you want. We have a refrigerator in the room with minibar. We have been given coffee and 2 bottles of water each day (free). The toiletries in the bath have been resupplied each day, which is funny since we brought our own large size and the wife keeps dropping these in the baggage! The room is very clean, and the beds are extremely comfy! Not too hard, not too soft. We have a queen and a twin (seems larger) and a total of 6 pillows between them, very nice pillows! The linen is white, clean and in great repair! I love white linen! We have a room safe, large wall closet and closet at front door, We have room shoes and robes provided. The TV for those who care, (I don't, I'm in KOREA!) is a 40" flat panel with a ton of channels. The A/C, ceiling mount split mini, wife likes it a bit warmer, I think it could go colder, not sure! Our room is comfortable. Lastly, the windows open, I like that, wife does not because we have a 2 year old (could she wiggle out? maybe, but it would be hard!) All in all, I would recommend this over most others. The area is quiet and very clean. The staff is really accommodating, and the area is convenient. One last thing, when we checked in I noticed they had a trip advisor award from 2012. I hope my review helps them get a 2013 award, they deserve it!

Room Tip: KAL limousine takes you to front door for only $15 US
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

359 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Faisalabad, Pakistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Our family (2 adults and 3 children) stayed at Ramada Hotel Namdaemun for about a month (July-August 2013). We were a little worried before coming to a new country with entirely different language and culture, but all of our concerns vanished once we entered this property. We booked a suite which consisted of a living room (with a bed), a separate bedroom (3-beds), a kitchen, washing machine and refrigerator. The cooking utensils and iron stand were also provided by the hotel on request.

There are 3 convenience stores within a minute distance from hotel from where you can buy your daily necessities. Seoul station is at 10-12 minute walking distance and there are a variety of restaurants and departmental stores around station. City hall and Hoehyeon subway station are also at 10-15 minute walk from here. Seosumun park is about 200 meters from hotel and there are various exercise machines and nice walking trails in this park.

The front desk and concierge were extremely helpful and always willing to respond the countless questions asked by our children. The best thing was that they provided us two mobile phones and we were connected always. Though outgoing call charges were high, but incoming calls are free.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Whakatane,New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

a large apartment but space poorly utilised-bed in one corner with no room on one side,only 1 chair in the room when room for several,chair old and shabby.Bathroom shower large but rest of space too small.
Good points:large frig/freezer,washer/drier and kitchen but no utensils.Comfortable bed but not king size as advertised.
Unit drab and badly needs redecorating as does the corridor on the 9th floor.Expensive for what was provided.Helpful front desk staff except that request for wake up call did not eventuate.Npt impressed by the a la carte menu on Sat. night when no buffet offered.

Room Tip: go for the hotel rooms-the apartments are shabby
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The front desk staff we very friendly and they all spoke English.
The room was very large and there was more than enough storage space. This room had no washing machine or stove. The floors were warmed by a control on the wall. This feature, which I really liked, could be turned off if needed. The air worked well in the room. I had no problem with the warm/cold water in the shower. The Coffee Bean in the lobby was more expensive than the Starbucks a couple of doors down the street. Furthermore, I discovered a cozy bakery called the Bread Mill in the basement. One can see the baker kneading flour for the bread. They serve coffee, hot and cold drinks, sandwiches, and smoothies from fresh fruit. The hotel's location was about 7-10 minutes walk to Nandaemun, a shopping area. We also walked to the Seoul Station (10-15 minutes) where we got a the Seoul City Tour bus. The fare was $10US per adult for the day. This was a hop on and off operation where one can stop at a particular tourist sight and when finished, wait for the next bus to arrive. Taxis cost $7US to go to Dongdaemun, a shopping area. Myeongdong was also in close proximity to the hotel. The KAL airport limousine bus stops in front of this hotel and when ready for the return to the airport, tickets can be bought at the front desk. If you travel in July walk with rain gear. I will certainly stay at this hotel again since it was so easy to get around the city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed here last summer for a few days in July, then again in January, and again in February. I was met with a very courteous and welcoming check-in staff. We were greeted with a smile and a very nice king suite bedroom with a modern kitchen, furniture, a king bed and a full bed. The closets we're double closets for his and hers with hangers, shoe drawers and more. The bathroom was nicely acquainted with a full shower and a full jet bathtub. On top of that, the BEDS were so comfortable, triple layered with feather pillows and goose-down comforters.

The room was very comfortable and a/c was freezing cold! Perfect for the hot humid Korean summers. The lobby is very nice and I love that in the room we can bring the portable wifi everywhere we go (for an additional charge, but if you pay for internet, you can bring it everywhere anyways). You can also rent a cell phone that they have in the room as well and bring it around.

I got the suite at a very good rate and if you can a good deal, it is one of the best hotels I have every stayed in. It is a brand hotel, but the Namdaemun suites make it feel comfortable, and away from all the tourists at other hotels in Seoul such as the Lotte Hotel etc. I enjoy nice hotels in a good central location without the business and feeling like a tourist. This hotel is the epitome of what the Ramada brand should represent! I have stayed at many Ramada's but this one tops the charts in my opinion.

The location is nice and you can walk to City Hall from it with a plethora of free wifi along the way if you opted not pay for the portable one. It's a great walk in both directions surrounding the property. There is also a Starbucks, GS25, and a Chicken place right outside the hotel door and a Coffeebean in the lobby! The lobby bathrooms are also nicely designed and very clean. This hotel makes it very comfortable.

The staff also would help call taxis for me from the street, the cheaper ones and help me out. I also took the hotel taxi from Seoul to Incheon and they we're very nice and courteous.

I HIGHLY recommend it. I am definitely going to stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Hotel is near to Seoul station. Especially for those who want to take a train to other cities or to airport, this is convenient. It is near Myeongdong too. Especially good for those who like night shopping and going back to hotel late. We got upgraded to a suite when we checked in. So it is very nice of them.
Hotel lobby has Coffee and Tea cafe, only opens till evening and not 24 hours. But outside of the hotel, there are 2 convenient stores. As hotel is located near the office blocks, it gets busy when in the day. However, if you come out of the Seoul station, take Exit 1 and walk about 500 m and you can reach. If it rains, a taxi ride will cost less than 2700 Won. (Non Black taxi ) So for location: 4****.
room cleanliness and amenities : 4 **** (no bathtub ) but has 2 beds ( 1 super king size and 1 super single ); larger than average toilet. However, the washing basin is too shallow, water kept coming spilling out when washing hand. No floor mat for drying feet ( but does have an anti skip plastic map though); Rental of phone available per room. Wifi is free within room.
Large enough space for sofa and TV and placement of luggage. The shower tap which is square is a bit too fanciful, I think. It took me a while to read the instructions on how to turn it on and have warm water.
We asked for extension of check out and was given another hour grace.
As it is raining and we need to borrow umbrella. We need to place a deposit of 10,000 Won for each.
Overall : 34**** for this hotel for their upgrade and extension of check out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramada Hotel and Suites Seoul Namdaemun? Share your experiences!