I was visiting Seoul for a week on business when I stayed at the Ramada Hotel and Suites Namdaemun. I booked this hotel based on its 4-star rating, the nice, clean look of the rooms and hotel itself, and for the location. Overall, I was very dissatisfied with my stay and will detail my reasons below:
• Internet service was HORRIBLE and expensive. They only offer free WiFi in the lobby, while in the rooms they charged for both wireless and Ethernet connections. I used the portable wireless option as I needed internet all throughout the city for business. The connection was terrible, despite it being 4G, and oftentimes pages wouldn’t load or they’d timeout. It was practically worthless for any real purposes.
• Our room was missing several staple items and we had to make special requests to reception for items that should have already been in the room. I’ve never been to a hotel that charges for a toothbrush or razor for shaving. This was ridiculous and I felt like I was being nickel and dimed.
• The shower situation was another very annoying aspect to this hotel. Water pressure was quite low, and the hot water took over a minute to activate. Once the water finally turned warm, it was scalding hot, and the faucet was very sensitive. After a few minutes, the hot water would turn off, and the whole cycle would repeat.
• The lobby is clean, but small, with a small seating area with couches. There is a café in the lobby, but the setting is not ideal for meeting clients or partners for business.
• I ate at the breakfast buffet the first two mornings, and then selected different options. They had a decent selection, but the quality was average. It was also relatively expensive, and not worth the price. There are plenty of cafes and other shops nearby which offer much better options.
• The staff were friendly, but young and seemed inexperienced. On several occasions, I had to struggle getting in and out of the door with my many bags, without assistance. They reception staff seemed incapable of addressing my concerns with the hotel amenities, internet, etc. They did comp me one day of internet, but that was about it. I don’t feel like my expectations were too high, but the service was disappointing.
• The location is very close to Nandaemun Gate, but not much else. It’s about a 20 minute walk to Myongdong and about a 15 minute walk to the closest subway stations. I ended up taking taxis most places as it was quite hot outside.
I will never stay at this hotel again, and would not recommend it to anyone else. Seoul is a huge city and I’m confident there are many other exceptional hotels to choose from for the same cost.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.