“Value for money but a bit tired” 3 of 5 stars

Ramada Hotel and Suites Seoul Namdaemun
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   151 Sunhwa-dong, Jung-gu, Seoul 100-130, South Korea   |
Ranked #74 of 392 hotels in Seoul
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Value for money but a bit tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Second stay. Convenient on bus line 2 from airport (75 minutes) drops to front door. Rooms are good size with washing machine and dryer. You have to ask for an iron. But overall a bit tired with cracks in basin, sheets with a tear in it. Bar on L24 closes at 1000 pm. Coffee Bean in lobby. But I would stay again. Convenient and value for money.

• Stayed July 2013

359 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The views on this hotel seem pretty extreme, either "love it" or "hate it". I'm more in the middle though: I thought it was fine, nothing special or memorable, but it's a Ramada, so you wouldn't really expect memorable. My room was on the 21st floor, nice view, quite spacious, modern style and in good shape. It was also very quiet, despite being right next to the elevator. I'm very sensitive to noise so that was a big plus for me. The room had everything I needed but I had the same experience as a previous reviewer with the temperamental shower. I did not use the hotel's internet but rather rented a portable wireless router at the airport (from SK Telecom, KRW 8,000 per day, highly recommended) and my connection was fine. I didn't try the hotel breakfast or restaurant but got some pastries at Bread Mill in the hotel's basement (B1) and Starbucks coffee from around the corner. The hotel is not particularly close to tourist attractions but they're within an easy walk. The only real weakness I found was housekeeping: a long, clearly visible hair in the shower when I first walked in, and dust and a couple of old socks under the bed. In general though staff seemed friendly and accommodating and the price was reasonable. I really don't have any major complaints, would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was visiting Seoul for a week on business when I stayed at the Ramada Hotel and Suites Namdaemun. I booked this hotel based on its 4-star rating, the nice, clean look of the rooms and hotel itself, and for the location. Overall, I was very dissatisfied with my stay and will detail my reasons below:

• Internet service was HORRIBLE and expensive. They only offer free WiFi in the lobby, while in the rooms they charged for both wireless and Ethernet connections. I used the portable wireless option as I needed internet all throughout the city for business. The connection was terrible, despite it being 4G, and oftentimes pages wouldn’t load or they’d timeout. It was practically worthless for any real purposes.
• Our room was missing several staple items and we had to make special requests to reception for items that should have already been in the room. I’ve never been to a hotel that charges for a toothbrush or razor for shaving. This was ridiculous and I felt like I was being nickel and dimed.
• The shower situation was another very annoying aspect to this hotel. Water pressure was quite low, and the hot water took over a minute to activate. Once the water finally turned warm, it was scalding hot, and the faucet was very sensitive. After a few minutes, the hot water would turn off, and the whole cycle would repeat.
• The lobby is clean, but small, with a small seating area with couches. There is a café in the lobby, but the setting is not ideal for meeting clients or partners for business.
• I ate at the breakfast buffet the first two mornings, and then selected different options. They had a decent selection, but the quality was average. It was also relatively expensive, and not worth the price. There are plenty of cafes and other shops nearby which offer much better options.
• The staff were friendly, but young and seemed inexperienced. On several occasions, I had to struggle getting in and out of the door with my many bags, without assistance. They reception staff seemed incapable of addressing my concerns with the hotel amenities, internet, etc. They did comp me one day of internet, but that was about it. I don’t feel like my expectations were too high, but the service was disappointing.
• The location is very close to Nandaemun Gate, but not much else. It’s about a 20 minute walk to Myongdong and about a 15 minute walk to the closest subway stations. I ended up taking taxis most places as it was quite hot outside.

I will never stay at this hotel again, and would not recommend it to anyone else. Seoul is a huge city and I’m confident there are many other exceptional hotels to choose from for the same cost.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was a business trip to Seoul; and the location was ideal. Within walking distance of my client. The hotel gave me a wonderful extended stay suite; complete with in room laundry. The room was nice; and spacious I even had room for my yoga mat.

The fitness centre was close by and cost 10,000 won to use.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayable for the price. If you've ever been to Ramada hotels in US, that's what it looks like and feels like at this hotel. Not much to say but it was worth the stay for $42 per night.

The location kind of sucks because it's a long walk to everywhere...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

75 us dollar for week days for a big suites and 200 us dollar for week end .
nice room decoration with washing mashin ,coocker ,kitchen. but if you wish to cook ,eat ,or wash your cloths dont forget to bring evrything with you .there is a real high speed wifi but only in reception .ensemble is good value for money and i will chose again this hotel for the next time but not for week end .

Room Tip: upgread suites was big ang nice for the same price as normal suites
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

When we arrived at this hotel, its just weird in a good way. The hotel seemed to be in the middle of nowhere (actually it is surrounded by tall buildings, we were not sure where we are.) There was a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf outlet in the lobby! Delish! We were quickly checked-in and we went to our room. It was just weird. The door was metal, and when we entered the room, we were pleasantly surprised. There was a washing machine, a stove and basically anything you could expect from a studio room of a serviced apartment. Despite the amazing amenities, the management didn't provide any pans or plates, neither did they provide detergent for the washing machine (actually detergent was provided for a fee from the hotel). Our room was very big though. It even has a cell-phone that we can carry around if we needed to call the hotel. Our breakfast at the top of the hotel was pretty awkward. The so-called restaurant is very narrow and some parts of the ceiling was covered with those waterproof materials things. It should have been open as it was during summer. There was a lot of selections, from cereal to fish-shaped crackers. It was just weird.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ramada Hotel and Suites Seoul Namdaemun? Share your experiences!