“What a nightmare of a room!” 1 of 5 stars

You added New Oriental Hotel to your Saves list
New Oriental Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 3-ga Hoehyon-Dong Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea   |
All Over...
“What a nightmare of a room!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I had booked a two night stay at Oriental Hotel as I was visiting Myeongdong and needed to stay in the area. I would have never booked here had another hotel in the area was available for those nights; however, without any luck I had only a few options left and the New Oriental Hotel seemed as the best option at that time. The price was not expensive and due to its proximity to my appointments, I decided to give it a try. At first the taxi driver could not find the hotel, thus make sure if staying there you have the address written out in Korean. The hotel is actually located on a corner of a main street and a major one, but the entrance is on the side, and since it is a really small hotel, it was difficult to locate. Once I got there, I took a few steps down into the lobby and tried checking in. The man at the front desk was not happy that I was there before 2pm and made me wait a little. Then, when he found out I had made the reservation through bookings.com and thus was paying with a credit card he seemed angry. At first he did not want to accept it and demanded cash; then he gave in and could not figure out how to work the credit card machine. After numerous tries he told me it is not working and to do it again after some time. He gave me a key to my room and off I went. I stayed in a room on the 7th floor. As soon as I walked in, I felt as if in some horror movie. Old, dirty, stained with chipped walls and some strange odour. The door looked as if it was broken down with a strangely old handle and chain. It didn’t even resemble hotel room doors. There was a strangely narrow, yet dark and very deep closet. The bathroom had 2 thin towels and the bathtub was stained with some yellow marks. I got a really scary feeling in the bathroom and quickly walked out. There was also something that resembled a very old style baseboard heater that was next to the window. The bed was as hard as a rock. After few minutes in the room I decided that I really feel unsafe and unclean and went to cancel my reservation. I knew that since I had booked on bookings.com if a reservation was cancelled or if you are a no-show, there would be a fee; however I really did not want to stay at this hotel. Having cancelled the reservation I was stuck without a hotel even after phoning in and checking with other hotels that were available just a few hours ago. I had no choice but to book a hotel in the Insadong area, but that is another review. Luckily, after emailing bookings.com and showing them proof of the room I stayed in through pictures I took, the waived the no-show fee. Now, I do not want to say that this hotel is a total nightmare, however, the room I was allocated truly was. I really hope they remodel and clean the room and the stains for the guests who are paying to stay there. Because of such a displeasing experience, I will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room #713, If in the area before booking this hotel, ask first to see the room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Pyongyang, North Korea
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

My business partner booked a room at this place. The whole place looks old and tired.
The rooms are kept dark thanks to two 15W bulbs for the whole room, decoration is shabby, there's a bath tub - mine was painted white but was peeling. The water from the faucet smelled bad (I thought it was because of old pipings in the building but I encountered the same at a newer hotel a couple of days later). No internet, but a slow PC at the lobby, no breakfast. Front desk staff tried to be helpful.
This place seems to be very popular with the japanese crowd, probably this hotel is featured in one of those cheap fly and shop till you drop packages. Guess they don't mind staying in such a dump.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to New Oriental Hotel? Share your experiences!