“Amazing Hotel but Everything Else is Hit or Miss” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Seoul Walkerhill

Save Saved
You added W Seoul Walkerhill to your Saves list
W Seoul Walkerhill
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   177 Walkerhill-ro, Gwangjin-Gu, Seoul 143-708, South Korea   |
Offers & Announcements
IT'S T TIME
Ranked #22 of 391 hotels in Seoul
New York City, New York
“Amazing Hotel but Everything Else is Hit or Miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

The style of the hotel and the rooms is AMAZING, my favorite W design and style wise. I've visited the hotel twice.. Sometimes the staff are helpful and friendly and at other times they're rude and speak to you as if you're a child. I love the bar though, the bartender was pretty good at mixing up whatever we asked for (which is rare to say the least in Korea). Also the location is not central and the traffic into central seoul can be PAINFULLY slow. AVOID the overpriced breakfast and the W restaurants in general... unless you're a salad fanatic and don't mind mushy warm food (and $75 price tag). the food is HORRIBLE. Do NOT rent a phone here, had SO MUCH confusion with the business center I wasted hours trying to pay. It was ridiculous. Even though I do have my fair share of complaints it's worth it all for the rooms and hotel. I'll be back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

298 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

This hotels wows you as soon as you walk into the lobby. It is very hip and modern. Rooms have red accents and fun amenites. The breakfast buffet was exceptional with so many choices. I peeked into the spa but didn't have time to enjoy it.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

Take it from someone who has stayed at 3 other W hotels not to mention thousands of 5 star hotels...this is NOT a 6 star, this is not a 5 star, it isn't even a 4 star. This hotel is a 3 star. Why? Read on.
We had a car service pick us up. The greeter and driver were professional and kind. However, it felt like we were being driven in a "smoke pit." Also, there were only 2 bottles of water for us, no apples, wet wipes or mints like in the car for W Hong Kong. It gets much, much worse.....
Secondly, upon arrival we were greeted by a young female concierge. She continually addressed my husband as sir or Mr. She never greeted me. Even when I handed over my credit card to her directly, she handed it back to my husband. She then handed my husband the receipt to sign, my husband handed it back to me. It had my husband in a 'fit of giggles' because it was so blatantly disrespectful, what else could you do but laugh in disbelief. She then recognized us as SPG gold members with the option to upgrade but she pointed out that instead of upgrading, we could receive a bottle of wine and some cheese on two different days. We complied. It get so, so bad....................
Upon entering our room, it was extremely HOT and muggy. We booked the COOL CORNER ROOM WITH THE SPA PACKAGE AND GIFT WELCOME BASKET AND BLISS COUPONS. Our gift basket had not been delivered. We made a phone call to the front desk and they knew nothing about the gift basket but assured us that they would have it delivery. We went for dinner and when we came back to our room......................
THE BATHROOM CEILING HAD LEAKED ONTO ALL OF MY MAKEUP BAGS AND MY HUSBAND'S TOILETTRIES, OUR POSSESSIONS HAD A FOUL SMELL. Maintenance came up to handle the problem at 11:00 pm where we patiently waited to go to bed and oh ya, OUR WELCOME BASKET STILL HADN'T ARRIVED. Destroyed personal belongings and no WELCOME BASKET. It can only get better??????????........................
NOPE. My husband tried to utilize the computer while we waited for the bathroom to get fixed since we couldn't sleep and I PHONED THE FRONT DESK FOR OUR WELCOME BASKET ONCE AGAIN..............
The person on the phone informed us that because we had the wine and cheese we wouldn't be receiving the welcome basket. Ridiculous!!! The WELCOME BASKET was already included in our $600.00/night room charge and we were receiving the wine and cheese seperately from that instead of a room upgrade. We phoned for a manager who came to our room shortly there after................
I inquired as to why our WELCOME BASKET WAS being deleted because of a complimentary bottle of wine....a bottle of wine that was in exchange for a room upgrade.
I then demanded a room upgrade and I explained to him that for $600.00/ per night we shouldn't have to wait around to sleep while maintenance fixes our leaky ceiling. We also demanded an upgrade for all of our troubles or we would be changing hotels. The manager told us that they would have a room prepared for us the next day......................
We phoned down the next day and the woman at the front desk knew nothing about it. We then requested that a manager return our phone call....
10 minutes later, the manager phoned us back and we were moved to an upgraded room.
We will never stay here again. This hotel is run by a bunch of children with one or two competent people. They demonstrated themselves as being very CHEAP by attempting to substitute one basket for the other although of them had already been paid for. When you pay $600.00/ night for a hotel, you expect CONSISTENT, TOP QUALITY SErVICE. GOOD RIDDANCE AND NEVER, NEVER AGAIN.
For all of those wives out there looking to spend a nice week long vacation with your husbands, be wise and stay at THE SHILLA OR THE RITZ CARLTON...Life is too short to deal with stupidity and incompetence, especially on vacation.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

The W Walkerhill gets it right and it does so in style. From the moment you enter to check-in to the moment you are waved good-bye to the gate, you are looked after in that cool luxurious W kind of way.

My latest stay here was for five nights during October when the hotel was busy with Japanese tourists making the most out of the strong JPY against KRW. The service level did not suffer at all. There were always people ready to greet & help and requests were delievered efficiently. You are treated like a royalty, but not in a snobby Ritz-Carlton sort of way but more like a VIP of the hippest club downtown, where everyone from the bouncers to the DJ knows you by name and welcomes you.

For those that have not been here yet - everything about this hotel is focused on design while maintaining comfort & coziness. Not an easy balance to strike but they manage. The exterior of the buidling shines in blue & red at night atop a mountain next to a river. The lobby is glittering with lights, music, great views of the river and cool furniture. Everywhere you turn, you will find yourself admiring the thoughts gone into the designs - the toilet, the elevator, the decorations, the plates, the glasses, the DJ both, the walls - everything. It lifts your aesthetic spirits high and keeps it there - and it gets even better when you enter your rooms.

The lobby is impressive but the way they designed the rooms is even more impressive. Having stayed at a wonderful room, corner room, cool corner room and the spa room, I can share that each room shares a different story. Rooms are high tech, plush and luxurious. The best place to invite friends over if you want to impress them.

W Walkerhill examplifies what a Whatever-Whenever service should be like. Ask them and it will be done. The WooBar downstairs is a big bonus - it's a hip place with sexy people gathering at night to enjoy the view with drinks (mid twenties to mid thirties I'd say…). Even the staff seem to have been hand-picked from a beauty contest. Do not believe what some here say that the hotel is out of the way - the shuttle bus takes you to two MRT stations via which you can access Seoul like it was your playground.

I guess the only down-side of this hotel is the price. But trust me, you get what you pay for. Hands down, this is the hippest hotel in Seoul and it is a great experience to be a part of it. Check in, be pampered, be amongst the hottest crowd in Seoul and enjoy the best facilities a Korean hotel has to offer. A trip to Seoul cannot get much better.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

W hotel and Sheraton shares one building.
I guess they are run by same company or something.
I've stayed in both of them.
for Sheraton, it's comparably old but still clean and comfortable.
Most of the good restaurant, shows, and casino are here.
For W Hotel, this is the only six star hotel in South Korea.
If you want to taste 'luxury' and willing to spend money on where you stay,
this is the place to stay.
This place has rooms with 4 themes. You can choose in advance.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

I just returned from 3 week holiday in Korea. Stayed 4 nights at the W in Seoul. I was blown away by the quality of service at the W, and in Korea in general. North America has a long way to go before it can even can close to their level. I salute all the staff at the W in seoul... Your English is excellent.... I speak Korean well but i never needed to because all the staff spoke English so well.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

W hotels are usually good, but this one stood out for me in terms of value.

Great bar and restaurant.

I would only warn potential guest of one thing- W hotels generally have great room rates, but they will get your money if you use the bar, restaurants and room service. We stayed here for £99 per night per room for two nights with two rooms, but managed to rack up just over £1000 upon check out...

Worth every penny, but do be careful, the service is good, the food very good, so temptation can overtake.

As a note- The suits are huge, well fitted and would be fantastic for any couple looking for a nice boutique style hotel. I will return some day...

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Been to W Seoul Walkerhill? Share your experiences!