“W for WoW!! Trendy, Chic, and Comfortable.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Seoul Walkerhill

Agoda.com WHotels.com
W Seoul Walkerhill
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   177 Walkerhill-ro, Gwangjin-Gu, Seoul 143-708, South Korea   |
Offers & Announcements
IT'S T TIME
Ranked #22 of 393 hotels in Seoul
“W for WoW!! Trendy, Chic, and Comfortable.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Honestly I've never stayed with a W and this was a first for us. Went for the studio suite, which is quite well-sized at 70sqm. Comes with their signature round bed covered with red sheets that W guarantees a minimum of 400 threadcount. Now i'm not sure how sensitive some are to threadcount, but once you get used to high threadcount sheets, it's very hard to move backwards too much. The studio suite also comes with a huge red tub and even a TV for viewing from the tub. I find that TV a tad small though. The Bose 35 home theatre system was great and also allows you to connect your laptop or Ipad to screen movies on the huge 50" LED TV facing you from the comfy bed. A multi-controller allows you to pretty much control most of what you need to from the bed.

The WET zone (sauna) was average, with the exterior jets giving you a nice view of the Han River. We loved the bed! And also the modern chic interior. Red bathrobes and red slippers was pretty fresh for change from the usual whites.

You might want to be warned that F&B at the restaurants and bar is not cheap. A simple dinner at Namu, which is their contemporary Japanese cuisine restaurant, set us back more than 200 USD. WooBar rocks! We loved the vibe there and the W mixologist cocktail specials!

Location wise, most will say Walkerhill is a bit isolated and not too near all the shopping malls and such. I do agree. We stayed at W Seoul Walkerhill for the purpose of staying in, which would be great if you were looking to do so too. If you are looking for a hotel to use as a base in Seoul, W might not be your best choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GregF1, General Manager at W Seoul Walkerhill, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Hello JnY82,

Thanks for all the positive comments and we are thrilled you had a chance to experience so many of our facilities!

We look forward to welcoming you back and we do have a free shuttle service to downtown shopping areas or the subway.

Thanks again for taking the time to write down your thoughts.

All the best

298 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Walker Hill is someway out of town and not much is nearby. It must be said though that it is a relaxing location for Seoul.

On arriving in the evening I felt like I'd walked into a nightclub. The music was super loud and I couldn't work out where the reception was! The hotel lobby is cool but not really welcoming. Check in was good but the room which had nice views was not well designed. The bathroom was tiny and awkward. The room color scheme was great if you love red.

Service at the bar was great. Really friendly and very efficient. The restaurant was also very good and the hotel gym is excellent.

Overall an okay place if you are bored of staying in town. Good if you want to check out the young party crowd. Not the best W I've been too. Not likely to revisit.

• Stayed August 2012
GregF1, General Manager at W Seoul Walkerhill, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Hello Claude_Vone,

We appreciated you taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.
The Welcome Desk/Woo Bar does change in atmosphere at 9pm each night and we are one of the hottest places to party at in Seoul.

Thanks also for the great comments on our service at the bar, restaurant and the gym. The Sweat area really does have a great view to work out and be inspired.

Hopefully you get bored and we get to see you back at the W Seoul again!

Upavon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This hotel is a long way from Incheon airport up to 2 hours in busy traffic but it is spectacular on arrival. The wall that moves with you as you walk past it which also moves to music is one of the first things you see when you walk to reception. The spectacular views from the Kitchen restaurant are a joy at breakfast and the wait staff are excellent. The disco bar is something else ascending several levels from the bar area which is 30metres of spirits long - serious hangover potential for the seriously rich! The rooms are retro funky and very well appointed with Bose sound systems. This is a must do if only once hotel.

Room Tip: I do not think you can go wrong although some rooms have balconies so if you want fresh air that may...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hi There Alistair895,

Great description of W Seoul and some of its special features!
Woo Bar is definately a serious place to party and we also appreciated your positive thoughts on our wait staff.

Will be sharing all your thoughts with our W Seoul Team and hope to see you back soon.

With best wishes

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

After staying at W Taipei and W Hong Kong, I was hoping W Seoul would WOW me further and it did indeed. It's a very cool hotel with it's WOOBAR just beside the front desk. I find it a difficult to hear/speak to the guy at the front desk as the music from the bar was rather loud because of its open concept that makes a slight inconvenience. I was hoping to see some idols or filming though as I heard celebrities do visit W at times.I stayed in Cool Corner Room, very spacious room with nice views of the river. I was quite surprised that their wet lounge was not open complimentary for guests unlike other properties other than the pool.

Travelling to W can be alittle hassle as its away from the city and subways, unlike the other W I stayed. But its great that they offered complimentary shuttle services.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hello nivla83,

Thanks for your loyalty and support of the W Brand. Glad we could WOW you on this occasion and appreciated your feedback on the Wet Zone.

We do have a comprehensive wet zone including a number of jaccuzzi's and water experiences.

Looking forward to WOWing you for a 4th time!

Thanks again for the great feedback.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

W Walkerhill was one of 3 W hotels we visited on our recent holiday ... I love W's and hence on our 2 day stopover in Seoul we decided naturally to book W.

I was slightly disappointed with the room - we had a basic room and comparing the design / look / feel to the previous rooms I found Walkerhill slightly less appealing. I was also a bit disappointed that the hotel didn't notice it was my birthday during the visit - an easy thing to spot. Even though I am a Starwood Gold member I didn't get upgraded for the room.

The bar and the restaurants were excellent [although extremely expensive, especially in Korean standards].

The service at the front desk / concierge was excellent - a true trademark for W's. The helpful receptionist made several suggestions for our Sunday walk which was great.

Furthermore this hotel is indeed VERY far away from everything ... I'd say it's ideal if you just want to stay at the hotel ... however if you have little time and you want to see more of Seoul you would be better of choosing another hotel in more central location. There's absolutely nothing around the hotel to walk to [except some park].

Room Tip: Try to upgrade your room if at all possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GregF1, General Manager at W Seoul Walkerhill, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Hello MizzMin,
Thank you for your great feedback on our concierge team and very happy to hear they looked after you so well.

Concerning room upgrades, we do put our Gold Members in our SPG Preferred Rooms, which are Wonderful Rooms with a river view, I apologise if this did not happen in your case and I am also sorry we missed your birthday as we do always like to make a fuss of our bithday girls and boys.

For things to do, we also do have a Casino and Duty Free Shopping onsite and free shuttle service to shopping area and subway stations.
Pricing on Food and Beverage is at a similiar level against other 5 Star hotels in Seoul and as a Sarwood Preferred guest don't forget yo use your SPG 15% discount in our Kitchen and Namu restaurants.

Thanks again for the comments and really do hope we can see you back at W Seoul again.

With best wishes

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is my second time staying at this property and did not disappoint. The customer service was beyond excellent. The W Insider and Concierge was extremely helpful & the staff members at the Kitchen & Namu was exceptional. Enjoyed the Sunday Brunch with all you can drink Veuve Clicquot champagne, numerous meals at Namu, and BYOB night at The Kitchen (Wednesday.) It was a true W experience! The staff here provides a true expression of customer service empowerment. Hats off to the General Manager for creating this culture. Thanks!

Room Tip: Book the SPA treatment early. It may get booked quickly. If you are SPG Platinum, get the breakfast...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
GregF1, General Manager at W Seoul Walkerhill, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Hello peter_vpnet,

Wow... what a great review! It sounds like you had a real W experience trying out our many weekly happenings with BBQ's and Sunday Brunch. I was very happy to share your review with the W Team here, as it is there hardwork that makes the difference.

We hope to see you back for a 3rd time soon at the W Seoul!

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

As the theme goes at W Hotels, "Wow" is all I can say.  Among the most impressive W buildings in the world.  There's modern, then there's sick.  This one is sick.  (international slang alert - "sick" is a good thing in this instance)  It did help that my stay was in a suite which had a phenomenally comfortable king round bed with a ridiculous bathroom complete with spa tub that could fit 4 (not that I did) and relaxing floor to ceiling views of Walker Hill.  Regardless, the building is situated on top of a hill with great views of the Han River especially from the negative edge 25 meter lap pool and expansive gym.  The lobby is huge, sleek and modern with an amphitheatre style seating area that is surprisingly cozy with private mini-booths.  Design is impeccable (see the moving art display as you come in on the left).  Service is top notch and professional, as it is at most top hotels in Seoul.  The front desk worker who checked me out of my room proceeded to personally roll my carry-on over to the KAL Limousine (airport bus) stop in the parking area outside the hotel.  I was slightly embarrassed; totally unnecessary, but it did punctuate the service here.

Having said all that, here is why I will likely stay elsewhere on my next trip to Seoul.  The hotel is what it is precisely because of location.  Difficult to build a structure like that in crowded (and expensive) Gangnam or downtown.  (i.e., ever try finding a seat in the lobby of Lotte Hotel MyongDong? Yeah, good luck with that)  This hotel is where the local well-heeled go to for a weekend getaway.  Walker Hill is relatively far from the tourist and business districts of Seoul.  Getting to downtown requires a short (free) bus ride to the subway, then a straightforward ride in.  Gangnam is a taxi ride which is easy without traffic...but potentially torture if there is.  So, if you want a relaxing hotel away from the rest of Seoul's hectic pace, stay here.  If you have lots of meetings and little time, stay closer to your desired neighborhood of business.

A word about some reviews I read which talks about the crowd at the bar not seeming cool compared to other W's in the world.  What a ridiculous comment.  If someone has a monopoly on the cool meter in the world, I'd like to see it.  The crowd is half local, half guests and expats.  The DJ mixing on a Sat nite was actually quite good and the sound system was rocking.  Yet I still managed to have a good private conversation in one of the eggshell booths so overall, great energy.

One last detractor which is not unique to this hotel.  Prices are sick (as in, makes me sick = not good).  No one stays at W Seoul to pinch pennies but paying $20+ for a protein smoothie after my workout?  Not a great value regardless of price.  I got fed up with this after a few days and started going to a local restaurant down the hill in the back alley (turn right into the neighborhood before you get to subway stop) for my breakfast.  $5 for full Korean breakfast, with added ambience of local casino workers getting slammed at 0700.  Quintessential Seoul.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Hi ymarkhongmd,

Thank you for the 'sick" review and great description on our design and urban resort location. We still want to see you back at the W Seoul and you should check out one of our Wow parties where we bring international DJ's to the W Seoul. Schedule is always available on W Seoul Facebook page.

Thanks again for the high energy review!

Greg

Been to W Seoul Walkerhill? Share your experiences!