“Disappointed :(” 2 of 5 stars
Review of M Chereville Serviced Apartment

You added M Chereville Serviced Apartment to your Saves list
M Chereville Serviced Apartment
3.0 of 5 Apartment Hotel   |   17, Gangnam-daero 61-gil, Seocho-gu | 6F Milatel Chereville, Seoul 131-631, South Korea   |
Ranked #79 of 396 Hotels in Seoul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Indonesian first
Caxias do Sul - RS - Brazil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

The Hotel is nice. It is in a nice location. We stayed for just one night on a stop over trip and can’t complain about it. For Seoul the price is very good and you have good access to different sides of the city. The shower was nice, the bed soft and the breakfast very good. More like a flat with a kitchen and a washing and drying machine.
The only complain we had, was that the air-conditioning did not work.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

Initially when I read the terrible reviews of the place I was a bit concerned but in the end, our stay was pretty alright. M Chereville is located in a superb place:

-Near the Gangnam subway station (which had lots of clothing shops)
-With a convenience store opposite
-A pharmacy nearby
-A bustling street nearby where we could purchase street food at night or eat at one of the restaurants
-Relatively near fast food outlets

I stayed with my family of five (in total) and we stayed in the 'two bedroom suite' for a week and a half. Just a word of warning though, don't trust the pictures on the website at all. They are definitely not an accurate representation of the room, but that said, the room wasn't that bad. They were definitely very basic, nothing luxurious of any sort. The internet was pretty fast though, and the TV had a variety of channels (both local and stuff like CNN, AXN)

My family found the facilities there pretty handy - we used the washing machine quite a bit (buy your own soap powder) and boiled plenty of water in the rather small electric kettle (which is also rather noisy), and used the cutlery provided in the room (of course with thorough washing with the provided detergent and sponge) and sometimes cooked instant noodles with the pots.

The maid service came about once every two or three days and changed the bedsheets (the bedsheets weren't 100% clean, with some dubious black spots, but I don't blame them cause if I had white bedsheets I probably wouldn't be able to keep them 100% white either). We didn't have problems with bedbugs. Fresh towels were provided everyday, so that isn't a problem. However the water temperature for the shower kept fluctuating between ice cold and burning hot, so that was annoying cause you had to keep adjusting it.

We stayed there in late november-early december though so it was pretty cold already. Plus, we didn't get any control over the air-conditioning OR the heater so on most days the temperature was pleasant but on two particular days it was pretty warm.

Breakfast was around the same everyday (if not exactly the same) and is only served till 9am from mon-sat and 9.30am on sunday (but they start keeping the food before 9 or 9.30, but that isn't really that big of a problem, just grab what you want) and isn't spectacular but is decent.

-Bread, ham, sausages
-Yoghurt
-Soup
-Cereal
-Different types of juice
-Rice, seaweed and etc to make your own sushi/handrolls
-Hard-boiled eggs

We didn't find the service of the hotel staff that bad actually, we found them rather helpful. They speak average english, so communication wasn't difficult. When one of my family members was ill and we asked whether there was a nearby clinic, one of the staff printed out a map for us and gave us directions, (although we ended up going to the nearby pharmacy instead) and they also helped us call a taxi at the end of our stay.

Overall, it was alright for the price (US$130+ per night with two bedrooms + we had to pay 25000won a night for an extra 'bed' cause we had five people - the bed turned out to be just a thin mattress but we didn't mind that much.)

Oh yes, and I agree that the elevators are really slow. No idea why.

I think my family was rather lucky though, to get a room that was average in cleanliness (vs the other reviewers who found it filthy)

This place is great for budget-ish travellers or people unwilling to spend too much money just for a place to sleep in at night. Don't expect too much, though!

• Liked — Location, Convenience
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seoul
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

Here is list of horrible things regarding M Chereville

* Bed bugs
-- Kids from the suburbs stay in these rooms to party on the weekends. They pack in 5-10 ppl and stock up on ramen and beer and really destroy the rooms

* The staff is really unfriendly. Not being a Korean speaker, I was hoping for a staff that could help me out regarding taxis, supermarket, etc. Unfortunately, they didn't care

* Elevators are super slow (expect to wait 5-6 minutes during busy times)

* Breakfast is horrible compared to similarly priced hotels (rice, seaweed, eggs)

* Can't find luggage carts (the staff told me to go floor to floor to find one)

If you are staying in Seoul stay at Oakwood, Shilla, or Somerset.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

When i first got out of the taxi and looked up i was impressed. On the outside it looks well maintained and is in a superb location in Gangnam. Inside is another story--and the list is pretty extensive.
1.) The elevators take forever to reach your floor (no exaggeration...i think ppl waiting for the elevators end up bonding due to the commonality of the slow elevator)
2.) Concierge is a huge joke; when you ask them a question their immediate answer is "I don't know..." But i have to ask how can they not know the phone number to an airline?

3.) When we got our room at first glance it looked great but you could see the wear and tear of the co-op from misuse and neglect. We had a 2 bedroom place and the smaller bedroom smelled of urine and the master bedroom's air conditioner did not work.
The walls are stained and there are suspicious stains on the couches, the tables and chairs were sticky and the bedsheets had hair and dust all over them. Through the thin pillow case you could see the yellowing and filthy stains of constant use.
The place was definitely filthy and to seal my belief on it i went to the bathroom and the toilet seat had dark yellow urine EVERYWHERE and chunky pieces of crap--to make it worse i cleaned it.
The shower only had hot or cold water and majority of the time there wasn't even hot water, i found myself taking a shower 2 times in cold water.
4.) the walls are thin so we stayed up listening to a party that went on until 4 AM...the next day we complained but the clerk apologized unsympathetically.
5.) The washer and dryer is a mystery to me--we can read korean and we still had difficulty figuring out how to use it. Be warned on it.

If management decides to clean up the place and replace many of the amenities the place would be great to stay but as it stands stay clear.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness and maintenance
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

MChereville is a great location right at Gangnam Station, surrounded by coffee shops, bars, restaurants and a predominantly young/trendy crowd.
This is my 3rd stay and the hotel is showing signs of wear and tear. The rooms are still good, but little effort seems made to clean stains and fix broken furniture/fittings. I stayed 3 days before my room was made up. They have cut this service to every 2 days and because my second day was sunday they have no maid service on sundays. At $100 a room I think they are really getting down to bare bones.
One day I also had the hot water heater not work. When I called front desk they sent someone who could not fix. They then told me i would just have to wait until they could call a contractor next day. When I said I would not, they did change me to a suite room for that night.
I do like free unlimited internet, and the sauna/shower.
Finally, WHY is the breakfast (free) only served until 9am???
So, mixed feelings about this 'hotel'

Stayed January 2008
orange county
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

my husband and i stayed at m chereville for four nights last week. overall, we had a good experience and would definitely return. we got a great rate for $117/night.
here are some tidbits of advice: when catching a cab from the airport, make sure to have the address written in korean to give to the cabbie and also the hotel's phone number. it's not really a hotel so people are not familiar with it. our cab ride from gimpo airport cost about 23,000 won (it probably would've been less but the cabbie couldn't find the hotel).
our room was surprisingly big with wooden floors, which was a nice touch. very clean, with a kitchen with all the necessary pots/pans/utensils, and a big (for a hotel) fridge and freezer. plenty of storage space. the bathroom wasn't great but it was clean and roomy, and the best part was that the shower can be used as a steam sauna. we got a double room and we didn't have a washer/dryer.
as far as service goes, it wasn't great but that didn't really bother us because we weren't in our room much. we got towel service every day but the room was only cleaned every other day. we asked for an adaptor but they had run out, and they also ran out of irons and ironing boards.
the breakfast was mediocre at best but sufficient. it ends at 9am so don't get there too late or the good stuff will have run out. paris baguette and paris croissant has yummy pastries so that'd be a better bet.
the rooms have free internet, which is great.
kangnam is a good location, and though it got loud at night with drunk young people, we didn't hear any of the noise in our room.

Stayed August 2007

Been to M Chereville Serviced Apartment? Share your experiences!