“Good price. Excellent location. Very clean.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Metro Hotel

Save Saved
You added Metro Hotel to your Saves list
Metro Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14, Myeongdong 9ga-Gil, Jung-Gu, Seoul 100-845, South Korea   |
Special Offer
Breakfast 50% OFF
Ranked #10 of 390 hotels in Seoul
Melbourne, Australia
“Good price. Excellent location. Very clean.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012 via mobile

Excellent location. I actually really miss this place. Friendly service. Our wifi was really bad. Kept disconnecting but usable with laptop just not good via phone. Maybe the laptop wifi receiver is better. Didn't bother much since most of the time we were out anyways. And what more can you ask since its free. Most 5 stars hotel don't even provide free wifi! Location is excellent. Just nearby to this place you must try the porridge place, the donkatsu down the road and andong chim dak.
Excellent!

• Stayed March 2012

692 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

My title said it all ! My wife and I stayed in Metro from 24 march 2012 and checkout on the 27th.
Love the location, Love the bed, Love the bathroom, Love the service and Love the rates.
For all Asian travelers, especially Singaporeans like myself, you can't really fault this hotel even i was assigned to a smoking room,except for two things !
Here goes,
1) The 10% service tax for all hotel in Seoul, I really hate it. Guesthouse accommodation in seoul are flat rate with no service tax whatsoever.
2) The breakfast ! Yes I know there are a lot of restaurant in myeongdong area, but you guys out there who know we Asians, especially singaporean like myself. We love to have a so called buffet breakfast in hotel before we proceed out for sight seeing or a shopping spree. The breakfast in metro hotel is a great let down. Don't expect sausage , bacon and ham, don't expect sunny side up, scrample egg, omlette, baked beans/potatoes. Metro only has cerel, yogurt, milk, packet fruit juice, soup, bread, coffee and tea. Seriously if you are a vegetarian, the breakfast would be great, but I am an English breakfast kind of guy, i would rather catch up with my sleep in the room than heading to the 9th floor for breakfast. Metro might have a strict policy in hiring chef, who knows !
Overall I would still stay in metro hotel when I visit Seoul in 2013.
IMHO, Metro hotel is the right choice of hotel for all typical Chinese Singaporeans, of course except for the two pointers written above, which you might do some consideration.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
skysong, Sales & Marketing Team Manager at Metro Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Dear Mr/Ms Kenji_suppitsu

Greetings from Metro hotel.
Thank you for staying with us and your time to write a review on the tripadvisor.
We are glad to know that you loved the area-Myeongdong and Metro hotel.

Thank you for your comment about our rates. We keep the same reasonable rate during a whole year, even on a high season and holidays for all the customers.
Also, we are very sorry to learn that you were not happy with our breakfast buffet. We have addressed your comment concerning our breakfast with our F&B team to find a way for betterment. Regarding to tax issue, please kindly understand that there is 10% of V.A.T to follow the current government policy and we apologise for the inconveniences.

Once again, we appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you at Metro hotel again in next year.

Thank you very much.

Pasig
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Stayed at standard c room (rm 808, my parents at rm 814) with a view of Myeongdong street scene below.

Small bedroom with double bed, one-seater couch with matching coffee table, TV, working/vanity table, luggage rack and separate Japanese-style toilet and bath. Very clean, and cozy enough for two. I was pleasantly surprised that the room was not as small as I expected.

Located in very busy Myeongdong shopping district—but hotel front is not as crowded as others (e.g., Savoy and Skypark) in the area, which is a good thing. About 1-2 blocks from Nanta Theater (4 playful characters on the loose in kitchen; reserve online to get 10% discount). If you intend to explore the area further, Deoksugung Palace, and Namsan cable car station to N Tower are within walking distance. Namdaemun market, Lotte Department Store and Lotte Young Plaza, and Shinsegae are also nearby.

Free breakfast had limited food options, but good enough for me. I liked the yogurt and poppy seed bun.

Lobby had very limited seats for waiting. Hotel had one small elevator, but seemed sufficient when we were there.

Everyone was courteous and helpful, esp. Emily.

Made our stay in Seoul really pleasant. Everyone in our family was satisfied.

Would recommend to budget-conscious travelers visiting Seoul for shopping and sightseeing.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr/Ms eric_sp

Thank you for staying with us.
All of us are glad to hear that you and your family had a great time in Seoul and especially at Metro hotel.
We have noted your comment about the elevator and seats in the lobby. We apologise for any inconvenience this caused you. We will keep this in our plan when we have a chance to renovate these area.
We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed our homemade yogurt and sesame seed bun on the breakfast menu. I will pass this message to the kitchen and will also seek ways of variety of menu.
Regarding to Emily, I totally agree with you. Thank you very much for mentioning which will give us (especially Emily) a great motivation.

We look forward to seeing you again at Metro hotel in the future.
Thank you very much.

Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My choice of hotel was greatly influenced by Trip Advisor.

As per the other reviews this hotel is in a good location and on a comparative basis the cost is ok. I opted for one of the more expensive rooms with a double bed. I wouldn't have wanted to be in anything smaller!

I am travelling around Asia so the washing machine on the 7th Floor came in handy.

Breakfast is boring and the hotel could try a bit harder in this department.

My only other "winge" would be in relation to the Internet. The wi-fi was painfully slow (for Korea) and it kept loosing my connection. In Taipei at the moment and the connection in my hotel here is exceedingly good......hopefully nationalistic pride will encourage you guys at the Metro to get you wi-fi up to "korean" standards!!

Room Tip: If you are travelling light use the Metro (check the hotel web site for more information). Fast and...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Almaty, Kazakhstan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We stayed at the Metro Hotel for one night and found it to be a good value find in an expensive area. The rooms are not huge, but they are tastefully and comfortably furnished and the price also includes breakfast, which was excellent. It is very well situated in the popular Myeungdong shopping area so there are also lots of good value places to eat around the area. Very disappointed not to be able to stay there on our way back through Seoul - but it was full!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
hong kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

It was my second time to stay at Metro! This time I could get a warm welcome by Aeri and everytime when I back, a gentleman will open the door for me (sorry that I didn't ask his name). Their smile just like to welcome me back to my second home. Yes, for sure I will stay at Metro again & again and it's not necessary to try other one in Seoul.

I stayed for three nights and a bit surprised of the breakfast arrangement as I can try the different foods in everyday. Just a little comment about the wifi connection as it seems not stable & slow. But everything in this Hotel are wonderful, especially the comfortable bed, duvet & pillow that made me miss Metro.

Thank you Aeri! Thank you the gentlement! Hopefully, see you guys again in Nov!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
skysong, Sales & Marketing Team Manager at Metro Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Dear Mr/Ms ahlee818

Thank you very much for staying with us again and your time for a review on Trip Advisor.
We are very glad to hear that it was your second time staying and you enjoyed staying with us.
The "gentle man who opened the door' for you" is Y.K Kim during day time and H.T Jang at night time, I will make sure that they get your comment and I'm sure they will be happy to hear about it. Also, Aeri always have a big smile and is very friendly to everyone. We all appreciate your compliments on our staffs and bedding. Additionally, we are now checking our network system for internet speed and quality improvement as you mentioned. We are very disappointed to learn that our network was not stable during your stay, but we will make sure that it gets back to normal the soonest possible.
We thank you again for your support and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thank you.

Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I recently travelled to Seoul part on business and part as a vacation. If like me you need somewhere central for the buiness district this is well placed. It is 2 minutes walk from the closest Metro station, and you can also walk to City Hall in about 5 minutes. Most of the main business areas are just north and west of the hotel. The hotel itself is in Myungdong which is a livley collection of bustling pedestriansied streets with lots of shops restaurants and food stalls.

I speak virtually no Korean, so that fact that the helpful check-in staff could speak reasonable English was very welcome. The room ticked all the boxes for me - good clean bathroom with nice walk in shower, comfortable bed (I chose a western style room - there are also Korean type 'futon' style rooms avaibale too which I think are a bit cheaper). The heating worked fine, and the TV had enough English channels for the little I planned to watch it, and also free wifi in the rooms that connected well. There is also a room safe. Breakfast was unexciting, but OK with toast/cereal/eggs and some Korean offerings available.

A couple of minor negatives - I needed to make an early start at the weekend to join a DMZ tour but there did not seem to be any way of doing anthing about breakfast before 7am. Also, check-out is 12pm. After staying there 3 days, I asked for a late check out by 2 hours for which I was charged 30% of the room rate. I am pretty sure this would have been given free in a 5 star place. However I then had to remember that this amounted to only $30 or so, and it would still have cost me much more to stay elsewhere, so I can't complain too much.

All in all, if you need somewhere that is well located in the centre of town, clean, and you don't need the pools bars and gyms of a 5 star place, then you could do worse than check this out. I know that prices vary, but at the time of booking it was about 1/3rd of the price of nearby 5 star places.

Room Tip: Ask for a street facing room - I think the ones at the back look towards a small courtyard at best
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Metro Hotel? Share your experiences!